$1200 vs $200 cd players

hi, i am new to 2 ch audio.

i have borrowed a $1200 arcam cd82 and comparing it to a $200 sony dvd/cd player. switching between audioquest & highwire (brand) digital coax into my sony es2000 amp. speakers are proac tablettes. i cant hear a major difference playing cd's....is it the amp? music style? or is the difference not that big? i'm just trying to justify the purchase of the cd players....are the differences in equipment/sound mainly personal preference? what should i be looking for to jusitfy the cost?
i listen to jazz and electronic music.

thanks
128x128jupiterfish

Showing 1 response by trelja

Despite some of the assertions that the newer generation of mass market CD players are at the same level as the better players, I disagree. I will say that many of them are much better sounding than those of 10 years ago.

First, the less expensive players do not have the power supplies to deliver the low frequencies. Possibly, on the Proacs, this is not an issue. But, with a friend's monster woofers, it became most apparent. Even with his mods, the player still didn't have the sock.

Secondly, most do not have the resolution of the better players. Pure and simple.

And, finally, the refinement is just plain not as good.

I will say that a lot of the players under $1500 have serious deficiencies as well, so a $200 might well hold its own in many a system. Again, in my opinion, the Music Hall MMF25 sounds as good to me as just about any player up to $1500. Once you move up to the class of the industry, the Audio Aero, Electrocompaniet, Granite, YBA players of the world, there is a real difference. Of course, one needs to decide if the expenditure is worth it.

Still, vinyl trumps digital...