$1200 vs $200 cd players

hi, i am new to 2 ch audio.

i have borrowed a $1200 arcam cd82 and comparing it to a $200 sony dvd/cd player. switching between audioquest & highwire (brand) digital coax into my sony es2000 amp. speakers are proac tablettes. i cant hear a major difference playing cd's....is it the amp? music style? or is the difference not that big? i'm just trying to justify the purchase of the cd players....are the differences in equipment/sound mainly personal preference? what should i be looking for to jusitfy the cost?
i listen to jazz and electronic music.

thanks
128x128jupiterfish

Showing 1 response by phasecorrect

Hi-enders will tell you there are major differences between cdps...the real truth...digital technology has improved to the point that the differences between such budget players and hi-end players is marginal at best...ofcourse they will inform you that your system is not "up to snuff", you are probably "tone deaf", and you simply dont have the sophisticated ear to distinguish between such players,you should remove your eyeglasses when listening, and be sure to have a glass of vintage red wine(not a bad idea)...bollocks! the real differences are primarly cosmetic and build quality...I recently did some home comparisons between my Sony sacd/cd unit(I assume the same model as the posters)and various other units ...and found the sound quality of the SOny even on redbook was equal or better than the higher priced competition....this arguement holds much more water with vinyl...as a $200 table will be simply spanked by a $1200 or higher one...