120/115V vs. 100V

I just successfully transported my Musical Fidelity A3 CD player from the US to Hong Kong. I'll also be bringing over an A324 DAC as well, in a few months.

The CD player has an input voltage of 115V...so to get it to work, I purchased a step-down power converter to get the local voltage down from 220V. However, I was only able to find one that converted to 100V instead of 115/120V. (Presumably for Japanese electronics.)

I've read posts about pre-mature electronic failure if the voltage is above certain tolerances. What about the case when a 115V component is only receiving 100V? Also, is there a sonic impact? I can't tell, because I am using new speakers and a newly modified amplifier that hasn't burned in yet, all in a new room.

Thanks!

Leonard
lennychen

Showing 1 response by lennychen

Thanks for the information everyone. Actually, my move to Hong Kong is pretty permanent, for at least the near term.

It sounds like I should look out for a 120V converter instead. Sounds like it might be a bit safer to have the proper voltage.

Hack, I'm a little worried by what your brother said...that eventually all gear running off a step-down will fail. Is that really true? I'd rather not purchase all new gear, as I've already put good money on the CD + DAC I purchased from the US. They both draw less than 50W, so I'm thinking if I purchase a step-down that at least provides twice or three times as much, I should be OK.