12" Tonearms for TD-124

Finally having my TD-124 Mk ii
re-habbed as well as having a slate plinth made to accommodate both 9" and 12" arms. I'll be using my 3009 Series II and need to choose a 12" arm.

The 3009 will generally have MM carts mounted to it (V-15 iii, Jico MM-1, AT 155LC). For now, on the 12" arm I'm planning on using a DL-103r and eventually some type of Mono cart.

The Schick seems like a good choice mechanically and aesthetically so I'm currently leaning in this direction.

For some, either the SME 3012 or M2-12R might seem like an obvious choice. Have also considered the Jelco. No experience with any of the Ortofon arms.

Any insights or suggestions?

butch1970

Showing 3 responses by pani

The current Jelco made Ortofon tonearms all have a sweet sound. They are not the most dynamic or exciting sounding arms but they sound smooth and sweet which on a relatively raw and propulsive idler TT is a good combo. The new age SME M2 series tonearms are more dynamic and neutral in comparison.
I wonder how the Schick performs on regular modern cartridges like the Lyra and Ortofons (non-SPU). Do they only work with the likes of 103 and SPU ?
I have been using the SME M2-12. Previously I had used the 3012 S2 (not 3012R). The M2-12 is a much more superior tonearm compared to the regular 3012. The M2-12 has a much higher dynamic range and resolution. It actually mates rightfully with the new age modern cartridges without limiting their performance. The 3012 always had a vintage sound whichever cart you put in, somewhat veiled, slow and lack in inner detail. Where the 3012 excel is in the way music flows, that flow is terrific and is a reference for any tonearm to compare. Just like the flow of vintage turntables this tonearm also has that magic. In the end though it is not a candidate to be used in a high resolution setup, while the Schick and M2-12/12R do not have that limitation.

I would love to hear the 3012R some day.