$1100 to spend used -integrated or separates?

Hi. I have approximately $1100 to spend on my amp/preamp combo. For that price (used) I have found some separates that seem like a good deal. Or, I could go with an integrated amp.

The speakers I will run are Von Schweikert VR-2's. The separates that fall into that price category that may be what I am looking for are the C-J PV10A preamp and B&K Reference 4420 amp (225 watts)-I have heard that the tubed preamp and SS amp are a good combo for a wide range of speakers (talked with a couple of people who have used this combo and really liked the results).

Also a possiblity is a good integrated amp. Not as much power as the B&K, and tend to hold their value better. I was primarily looking at the Creek 5350 SE, Classe CAP-101, and Musical Fidelity A3.2, all of which can be had for under $1100. Plus, I won't have to buy pricy interconnects, and can spend more money on a DAC later.

What is the better option, sound-quality wise? The components I am looking at retailed for $2700 new, while those integrateds are in the $1600 price range new. Does that mean the separates are of higher quality? I hear lots of people raving about integrateds these days. Do I need all of that power to drive my speakers (medium-sized room, moderate listening levels) or would I be better off with the smaller amp of an integrated?
chiho

Showing 1 response by listener57

Aronov LS-960I tube integrated amp has been running around $1250, used, and still sounds the best to me at this price point, delivering very elevated performance. Model is currently being listed new for over $3000 (I think) , as the cost of manufacture continues to rise, which makes the used price seem ridiculously cheap.
Worth stretching your budget a little if you want a more uncompromising standard of excellence in a unit that won't leave you restless for more.