$10K Budget for Speakers: Martin Logan Masterpiece vs Tannoy

For much under $10K I can get a pair of Martin Logan Masterpiece’s Classic ESL 9 (the new ones retail for $6.5). Alternatively, I might go ahead and get a used pair of the top-of-the-line ESL 13 with all the bolts and whistles the modern electrostatic speakers offer: an unbelievable 3D-almost-surround-like staging and very detailed, life-like sound. Those Martin Logans speakers do have a huge speaker emission surface (the sound radiating "panel") emitting the sound bi-directionally and these speakers are almost the human hight tall.
The same $10K would also get me a top-of-the-line Tannoy Arden speakers (8K per pair). On the used market, if I am lucky, I could get a pair of Turnberries. Tannoy, while does have some unmatched style and a "company history-story" factor, apparently doesn’t even come close to be able to give the same sound experience Martin Logan speakers do. Tannoy speakers radiate sound from a single 10", 12" or at best 15" driver. The speaker themselves are significantly smaller than Martin Logan ones. They are barely hip height.
The esthetics and design is a huge factor for me, I do love Tannoy speakers. But, from a practical standpoint, and because the main reason I am getting the speakers is still the SOUND, and not the speakers design, I am heavily inclined to get a less-by-my-opinion-styled speakers made by Martin Logan. Because MLs, regardless of the price, offer a wider, cleaner, more life-like sound than Tannoy speakers do.
If the sound reproduction is the only concern, why would I choose a smaller, a single driver Tannoy over state-of-the art technology implemented in Martin Logan?

esputnix

Showing 4 responses by cd318

$10k gives you an awful lot of options.

No need to limit it to just two. I know the agony of indecision can be wearing but I think you really should look at other designs.

If that’s not possible, then I’d go for the Tannoys too. At the very least they tend to hold their value well.

Read this too,

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tannoy-turnberry-se-vs-kensington-se-semi-review
@fraterperdurabo,

"But if you want the illusion of a large orchestra from 3rd-row center, the Tannoys can't be beaten. Less detail, but more scale. The Tannoys are also efficient and will work with a larger selection of amplifiers."

Agreed. Less obvious detail but great scale.

Out of all of the speakers I've owned the Tannoys sound the most different. The specs don't show it but I'd swear their frequency response must be unique to them.

There seems to be a likeable bass hump built in, not the deep bass that you can feel, there's very little of that, it's more of a mid bass that doesn't seem so obvious coming from such a large cone as it might from a smaller box.

This gives the sound some of the meat that can make much of the opposition sound a little thin at lower volumes.

Something that real sound never does.

@nordicnorm,

"ML speakers require both space and power to sound their best."

I think it's fair to say all electrostatics do.

I've never heard any Martin Logans, only early and late Quads (I even had a pair of 57s) but their shape always seems very elegant and room friendly in comparison.

I can imagine that they would be sonically some distance removed from the Tannoys with a noticeably cleaner detailed sound and a better disappearing act.

It does seem to be important to match electrostatics with suitable amplification. My experience with the Naim 32.5/110 and the ESLs didn't work out too good.
@sounds_real_audio 

I hope he gets back to you soon.

Professor Petersen, the great friend of the threatened 21st male mind, might find his talents better served contemplating the intricacies of the audio mind as opposed to merely the abstract behaviour the general masses.

That kind of thing could drive anyone into illness if they are prepared to roll up their sleeves and get dirty the way he often does.

Audiophilia on the other hand is a relatively benign affliction and treating it should be a walk in the park for a man of his abilities.

OK, he can start after he makes his much needed testimony to the Supreme Court.
On top of everything else, we don't want a civil war on our hands, do we?
@esputnix,

Yes, two entirely different approaches to high fidelity playback.

An eventual update would be interesting. You might end up loving both, but there's bound to be a preference.

Will the Dual Concentric Tannoys work in a stacked mode? Will the brand new shiny Martin Logans gradually lose their initial sheen?

Is it all going to be a eventual question of tone versus detail? 

One thing is immediately clear, the Martin Logans are an impressively elegant design.

No getting away from that.