1080P tv or Projector ???

I have a choice to make. Do I buy a Mitsubishi Diamond 73" TV with 1080P, or do I get a Yamaha DPX 1300 projector with a 100" screen. For reasons I won't go into now, I will pay almost equal price for either one. The Yamaha is 720P, not 1080P. My friend has assures me I will be much happier with the Yamaha. I will have Satelite, and Cable, both with High Def.
A very good Dvd player and also a Blue Ray player. I have a DVDO+ processor also. What will I want to watch all these sources on? Any informed responses will be greatly appreciated.
Ag insider logo xs@2xsnooker14

Showing 2 responses by cytocycle

Audiotomb: I disagree.... about color pop like a plasma... if you get the right screen an LCD projector can pop in color like a plasma and not have the green and red push problems of a plasma. Black level isn't CRT level but neither is Plasma... But I have never missed anything with my projector tuned up with Avia or Digital Essentials. This is a critical setup feature to get the details in the blacks right.

Answer Vultec Silverstar Screen!!! Outstanding in a darkened room. Colors jump from the screen and are visible from any angle!

1080p is great on a 58" if you sit 6-8 feet away otherwise it's a waste of money. I use a 37" 1080p LCD monitor at 3' for my computer and that rocks!

Snooker14: Congrats on going with a Projector now you will never go back!
Audiotomb you brought up another excellent point which is how good is the scaler in the TV sets. Ok I Over generalized for most people (I do prefer a big presentation) but what makes 1080p look good is how close you view it... if you are seeing artifacts on a 1080i then the scaler in the lower end set is to blame or the source. 1080p tv will in general have a better scaler.

I highly highly recommend checking scaler quality or going external (Lumagen, DVDO, etc.) as this was the most amazing upgrade for my system. on my 103" I don't see artifacts with my 720p projector and that's impressive.. if I were to hook my cable box directly up to my PJ it would be block city and tons of panning motion artifacts even on HDTV. My old 720p DLP optoma projector had an excellent Scaler, my current Sanyo Z4 LCD has an awful scaler.

So if you can watch the set you want to buy with an OTA signal, bring a DVD player or have them hook up a dvd you are familiar with and look for jaggies, blurring in the backgrounds, etc... artifacts like these are annoying.