$1000 used amp. What can I buy?

Ok maybe $1500. I have always had solid state; don't want to mess around with tubes. Currently a biamp setup with a crossover at 100Hz. This setup doesn't sound bad but I think I could do better. I have a Sunfire preamp. Most amps I have owned been Leach-based circuitry. I have heard some new Classe(way more expensive than I can afford). Am told Threshold is good and durable. Not sure about Bryston, Adcom, etc.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
daledeee

Showing 3 responses by daledeee

Thanks. I have Klipsch RF3 speakers. 13X20X8 room. Listen to much different music. Enjoy turning it up too!! I am a bass nut. That is why I have two subwoofers hooked up to this system. Quite nice sounding bass. Just think I need a better amp for the main speakers.
I have never heard of Acoustic Reality. I am stranded in Iowa. I will give anything a listen.
I definitely like your suggestions.

WIth every system I have owned it has benefited from splitting the low frequencies from the main speakers. That might not be the case with large speakers that have dedicated cabinets for the low end drivers, but those are usually recommended to be biamped as well. But we are now talking much more money than most of us can spend. The midrange seems to open up with the bass being ran through a separate driver and amp. Getting rid of the low frequency caused distortion of the woofer allows lower distortion in the midrange. Also this lowers the power requirements to drive the main speakers. The down side is that you are adding another part(external crossover) that can degrade the signal and parts must be of high quality.