$1000 upgrade. Opinions?

What would you do? I am prepared to consider all opinions no matter how strange they may sound.
I listen to different kinds of music; no big orchestras, no opera, no country, no rap. The system should be able to play well both jazz/rock and female vocal and various world beats from Brazil to Middle East by way of Ireland and North Africa.
The only two things that I don't consider upgrading now is speakers and cassette deck.
The room is relatively small and rectangular, about 150sqf. But I may move soon enough so I have no intention to acoustically treat it unless I could use this stuff in another room later.
Here is what I have:
Nottingham Spacedeck/Spacearm with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge.
Acoustech PH-1 phono stage, good for both MM and LOMC.
CEC TL5100Z belt drive cd player.
Nakamichi 682ZX deck.
Audiolab 8000LX integrated, original made in England. Quite powerful for 60 watt/ch/8ohm. Has pre-amp out.
Michael Green Audio Revolution 80i free resonance floorstanding speakers.
Purist Audio Colossus speaker cables, Maximus interconnect.
Custom Power Cord Co. Top Gun power cords for the phono stage and the Audiolab; model Hi Value for the player.
Furman 1215 voltage regulator/conditioner.
Boston Audio, Polycrystal, Audiopoints, Isoblock footers. Polycrystal spikes for speakers.
What would I like to improve? Well, everything. Also, I have no idea how these speakers would sound with tubes.
inna

Showing 3 responses by jrinkerptdnet

your speakers may actually be a "weak link" in this set-up ... I have owned the Classic 60's and Studio 5's and they were substantially better than the Revolution Series from MGD. $1000 can buy a lot of speaker on the used market!

Jeff
The MGD Chameleons are "inexpensive" on the used market ... last pair I saw sold for $1500 I believe. Would have snatched them up but it was a local pick-up pair @ 1000 miles from my home. The difficult part is FINDING a used pair ... I do not believe many were ever sold
I currently have a pair of PBN Montana speakers ... I use a Lyngdorf TDAi2200 with room correction that does a better job than the mechanical tunig of the MGD speakers to allow for more flexible placement in the room

I am not sure what speakers I initially replaced the MGD's with but I think it was a pair of Rethm's ... sold the pair MGD Classic 60's and 3ea Studio 5's to a friend for a surround system ... he still has them and they sound awesome

Jeff