$1000 player or dac recommendation

I have searched through recent threads and didn't see this specific question, alathough I am sure it is out there. I am looking to update/upgrade my digital front end. I am currently using an older Rotel player as a transport and running it into an MSB Link Dac. The rest of my system is a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Sig preamp and an Classe 10 amp. Mostly Kimber and Cardas cables. I have a pair of North Creek Borealis speakers (8" Two-ways)supplemented with an M&K sub. So I know a lot of this gear is not state of the art by any stretch, but I am pleased with the amp and preamp. I think my front end is the weak link so I am looking for a way to add air/detail and warmth. I would be really interested in your input as to what may be some of the best buys out there to improve my digital front end. I would probably have a prejudice for something that included a vacuum tube design. Everything I have has been bought used so I am not opposed to buying a used player or dac. I would also like your input on whether my current player can still be used as a decent transport and I should look to improved dac versus buying a differnt all in one box. Thanks in advance for your input.
stuartbmw3
There is a Sonic Frontiers CD 1 cd player listed here for around 1200. Might be able to get the person down a bit. I think it would work wonders with your other Sonic Frontiers equipment. I hade a Classe 10 amp for almost 10 years, I loved it. I only sold it to purchase a Model 15 amp and I am listening to it right now in my upsatairs system.
I would look for a used Burson DA160, Rega, or Eastern Electric DAC. I would not buy another CD player.
Ditto on the DAC suggestion. You'll have better sound and more options in the long run.

Rob
If you are just into the good old CDs and don't plan on computer audio, I would look into the now discontinued Oppo BDP83 SE, which can now often be found on audiogon for very reasonable $500-700. Better yet, a modified versions from Modwright, EVS, or other reputable modders shows up occasionally around your price point, which is a phenomenal value.
Yeah it would be useful to know if you are only planning on playing CDs if so then I think the biggest bang fir the buck would be with a CD player. The meridian 508 is a really good sounding player. If you are thinking you want a DAC and want a tube in it the MHDT paradisea or Havana sounds really good. I recently grabbed up a used benchmark DAC even though it gets mixed reviews. In the system I dropped it in it was a revalation compared to the Zahalou (200 dollar DAC) it replaced. Seems like DACs are the new hot ticket and there are a lot of CD players being sold so if you just want a CD player then the market is a good one for you.
Yeah it would be useful to know if you are only planning on playing CDs if so then I think the biggest bang fir the buck would be with a CD player. The meridian 508 is a really good sounding player. If you are thinking you want a DAC and want a tube in it the MHDT paradisea or Havana sounds really good. I recently grabbed up a used benchmark DAC even though it gets mixed reviews. In the system I dropped it in it was a revalation compared to the Zahalou (200 dollar DAC) it replaced. Seems like DACs are the new hot ticket and there are a lot of CD players being sold so if you just want a CD player then the market is a good one for you.
You can get a much better DAC than your present one if you go for recent technology. For me it would be a SimAudio Moon 100D or for 3 times as much, the 300D. The Calyx DACs are nice too.

You can get a better transport than your Rotel's, and if I went that way I would look for a used Esoteric. Even the older ones can still be repaired and the prices are good. However a lot of us are using computers as transports and if you're comfortable with that kind of setup, you can get sound that rivals the very best of them for a much lower price.
Well under $1000 brand new (at least from a dealer on Audiogon).

You MUST have a look into the Yamaha CD S-1000. It will play SACD also. It is exceptionally well built, very heavy yet with a minimalist faceplate. Very classy.

The tray is the slim-type version, all-metal and operates with SILENCE in a very fluid manner. No plastic clunk here.

The sides are real wood, but most of all, it sounds very, very good. This would definitely be your last cd player and makes a superb transport. Have a look at this quick review - it's right on the money.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-CD-S1000/