1000 budget for speakers and integrated - HELP

I am experimenting with a new system. I currently have an EAD trnsprt/dac combo and I want to build a system around this excellent digital source. The challenge is to find an integrated amplifier and full-range speakers in the used market for, ready for this - $1000! I listen almost exclusively to acoustic jazz and have been into this hobby for a good 17 years now. Speakers that I'm considering are: NHT 2.5i, Linn Keilidh, Meadowlark Kestrel,????. Integrateds I'm considering are: Creek 4330, Audio Analogue Puccini, ???. Am I against an impossible task here??? Any input would be appreciated.
gemini

Showing 2 responses by sugarbrie

The Complete is one of the champs in this area, but it blows a big hole in your $1K budget. It will probably cost you $650 used. You should then consider the Creek 4330, which will be around $400 used. Also see what is available from Musical Fidelity.

If you can hunt up a pair of B&W P4 speakers for +/-$500 you will be pleased with them I think.

If you do get the AR Complete you may not want to get speakers that are too difficult to drive. The Complete is in many ways a budget version of the YBA Integre (YBA makes The Complete). The literature for the Integre clearly rates it at 50 watts at 8 ohms and 90 watts at 4 ohms. They do not give a 4 ohm rating on the Complete. Inquiries have yielded nothing. I read a review of someone who claims to have tested The Complete and it was about the same (50 watts) at 4 ohms. So the power supply, etc., appears to be one of the ways YBA cut down The Compete to lower the cost.