$1000 bookshelf speakers with "recessed", "laid back" or "flat" mid-range?

Dear all,
As stated above, I am looking for a bookshelf speaker with a mid-range that is laid back, recessed or flat. I currently own a pair of Elac Uni-Fi UB5, and I find their presentation quite forward in the mid-range, which I don't appreciate, especially at moderate to high volumes. I also own a pair or Pioneer SP-BS22, which I find more pleasing sounding (particularly the more recessed mid-range) than the Elac.
Since I can't audition speakers where I live, I am asking for your recommendations on bookshelf speakers that have a more "recessed" or "flatter" presentation in the mid-range. I have a budget of $1000. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
128x128luciano33

Showing 3 responses by rocray

noromance made a great suggestion. I owned a pair of s3/5’s,(which ultimately lead me to Graham Chartwell LS3/5’s) A very magical midrange.  I had both in my listening room for a while. I found them to be more alike than different. The Spendors were VERY enjoyable. At least to my ears.

The only Wharfedale I’ve been able demo,was the Reva 1 . My brother has a pair,and he’s running it with a Yamaha integrated. Very smooth speaker. Nice detail,but definitely not bright. I could live them without a doubt.