$1000 bookshelf speakers with "recessed", "laid back" or "flat" mid-range?

Dear all,
As stated above, I am looking for a bookshelf speaker with a mid-range that is laid back, recessed or flat. I currently own a pair of Elac Uni-Fi UB5, and I find their presentation quite forward in the mid-range, which I don't appreciate, especially at moderate to high volumes. I also own a pair or Pioneer SP-BS22, which I find more pleasing sounding (particularly the more recessed mid-range) than the Elac.
Since I can't audition speakers where I live, I am asking for your recommendations on bookshelf speakers that have a more "recessed" or "flatter" presentation in the mid-range. I have a budget of $1000. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
128x128luciano33

Showing 1 response by 10229

How about these?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-lsiiim703-loudspeaker

Not only are they beautiful but they sound absolutely wonderful for the price.  I’m surprised actually that they don’t have more of a following.  They have a nice detailed top end and a smooth slightly recessed midrange with a hint of warmth to them.  I know they retailed for 1400 or so but can be had brand new for half that on various websites.

I also had the same set of Elac speakers and never did really love them.  They had a weird congested feeling to them at volumes that didn’t seem very loud and became strident the louder the got.  They were quite nice at lower volumes though.  The Polks eat them for lunch.