100 W Tube Amplifier Malfunctioned

I will not name the brand of the malfunctioned amp in question, except to say that it is a US brand and it is not a boutique shop. I bought direct from factory as there were no dealerships in my region of the world, Taiwan. As I traded in my old amps, I was given a discount and paid $5,000 for the pair. 

My system consists of a Verdier Turntable, A MFA Luminescence preamp, a Wadia 16 CDP and Eminent Technology LFT 8b speakers. The amps were brand new and worked well for 6 months. Then one of the amps malfunctioned. I sent it to a local technician, and determined that the transformer was shot. 

The malfunctioned amp was sent back  at my expense. After inspection,  I was told that the amp failed because it was operating over voltage. Our power grid delivers 110 v electricity.  And in order to be certain, the other amp which was perfectly fine was requested to be sent back for inspection. 

The solution for repair was to increase the VAC of the amp to 125 V, obviously for both amps, and the tubes will be inspected and biased accordingly. The cost for repair will be $ 850 for each amp. My questions is: Should I pay for the repairs? I was told the reason for the failure was due to the fluctuation of our local power grid. Therefore, the user is at fault. However, if it is  power grid is the problem, then why did only one amp fail? Would it not be a reasonable assumption that there are quality control issues at fault? 

Given that there are brand new amps ( six months old ), isn't paying $ 1650 for repairs unreasonable? Any insight would be appreciated. 
ledoux1238
Upon hearing my situation, an audio buddy lent me a pair of tube amps by International Projector Corporation. These are from the 1950’s, licensed by Western Electric, and designed to drive speakers in cinemas. 70 year old amp, 70 year old transformers. They sound amazing!!!

And my 6 month old transformer blew. :) my situation is quite absurd.

I put in an email to Ray at Von Gaylord two days ago. Basically I would like him simply to fix the amp at his cost. And I don’t want to change to 125v. The change was deemed an ‘upgrade ‘, hence the $850 per amp surcharge. I have not heard from him yet.

To be continued....
I'll chime in though pretty much everything  has been said. I hope the mfg will do the right thing and fix the amp free of charge. You bought it direct from him. I think he sent a faulty product.. Best to you.

Seems that this should be covered under warranty. Full stop.

$800 bucks for repair - for the pair, not for each - is not necessarily unreasonable.
@unreivedogma By way of an update, the manufacturer will fix the broken amp for the following as quoted from his email:

"1. Replace Transformer US$500 (Parts and labor)

2. Repair Power Supply US$195

Check on second amp N/C

Bias and Balance on both Amps US$125/each."

I will be going ahead with the repair. Mind you, his initial offer to 'upgrade' the power supplies of both amps to 125 v was $1700. And he claimed that if I did not follow through with the 'upgrade' then he cannot be sure if the other amp which was working properly would not fail in the future. In other words, he will not warranty his own product!

I am at a point where I can proclaim definitively, DO NOT BUY VON GAYLORD AUDIO PRODUCTS, EVER!

I will proceed with the amp repair with the proposed $945. However, when I do receive the amps, I will be in a situation of not knowing when the amps will fail again. The manufacturer will not be standing by his product. I will be in a further situation of not being able to resell the amps, as I have made known the poor service quality of the brand!