10 Box Set of Beethoven - DG/Poyldor - 1972

Someone just gave me a 10 box set (10 boxes, not 1 box with 10 records) of Beethoven that was produced by Deutsche Grammophon in 1972 for the 200th anniversary of Beethoven's birth. It was produced by Polydor in the US. Each box has 5 or 6 albums in it, along with a large format booklet on works in that box. It also came with a large format book of his life and works. It is in English, but it seems to have been translated from German.

I have not found out much about this set. I can look for information on each individual performance but that is a lot of work. This looks like a majority (if not all) of the DG recordings of Beethoven, re-pressed and re-packaged for the set.

Anyone familiar with this set? Are the pressing really good or just average? Were they done from original masters? Were they re-edited for this edition. etc.

Most of the records have hardly ever been played and some may be unplayed.

Any information would be appreciated, especially if they happen to be rare and valuable. Should I buy my dream home in Maui? Probably not, but any info would be appreciated.

Three of the boxes say Part 1, but I do not have a part 2 to go with them.

The 10 boxes are

I Symphonies and Overture - Part 1
II Symphonies and Overture - Part 2
III The Concertos
IV Piano Sonatas
V Music for the Stage
VI Choral Music
VII String Quartets - Part 1
VIII Music for Piano - Part 1
IX Chamber Music
X Music for Violin and Cello - Part 1
128x128dtc

Showing 2 responses by lowrider57

I wonder what it cost when new....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vntg-1972-Complete-Set-8-Boxes-40-LPs-Deutsche-Grammophon-Beethoven-Bicentennia-/400300361875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d33c2c893