1 large subwoofer or 2 smaller ones...?

Looking for opinions on whether to use one large subwoofer (Martin Logan Descent i) vs 2 smaller subs of the same design (ML Depth i). Cost for the 2 setups would be similar, but my room is better suited to support 1 sub than 2. Main speakers are Martin Logan Ascent's.
128x128mburns92

Showing 2 responses by ml8764ag

2 small ones in a stereo application ...although those frequencies may be mostly "non-directional"....you have to compromise one way or another with only 1...

a) only hook to one channel (obvious downside) or

b) combine both outputs... (they will sum..and in effect, at times, cancel each other ...or at least work against each other. Do some searches on the topic on the web.... Many out there who can explain it better than me.

BTW.... Thought I could get away with one...now, so glad I have two.
Definitely 2 small ones in a stereo application ...although those frequencies are said to be mostly "non-directional"....you have to compromise one way or another with only 1...

a) only hook to one channel (obvious downside) or

b) combine both outputs... (they will sum..and in effect, at times, cancel each other ...or at least work against each other. Do some searches on the topic on the web.... Many out there who can explain it better than me.

BTW.... Thought I could get away with one...now, so glad I have two.