$ 1,000 A/V receiever recomendations...

I am needing some input on recomendations for a A/V receiver new or used for $1,000 or less. I have read many many posts and have collected some ideas. Please offer some suggestions for units that offer the "latest" technology. My system consists of a 42" Panasonic Plasma, with the Canton 5.1 audio system. Your thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated.
mikebu

Showing 2 responses by cmk

"Why tie yourself in to a receiver? It just doesn't make sense."
Not unless the receiver has an excellent processor built in, and then some. I cannot recommend the Yamaha RX-V1400/2400 more highly. Yamaha's Cinema DSPs are among the best, just add a separate amp to drive at least the main 5 channels. The receiver's amp section is fully capable of driving the last 2 channels of rear surround.

The DSP section uses 32bit processors and the 24bit DACs, while the vol control for all channels are matched to within 0.5db. Its a full fledged machine.
I've been there, done that.
Used to have a receiver, some Marantz unit, then later upgraded to the now-discontinued Sony TAE9000ESD(pre/pro), which was not far short of some of the higher end pre/pros costing 5x.

I moved out of that giant-killer Sony unit to the Yamaha, and can safely say that the Yamaha better the older Sony in every area- bar none. Details, transparency, soundstage, sound & image panning cross screen, front to back, what I would call cinematic scope, is just done so much better. Plus the dirt-cheap Yamaha comes powered(!)

The only separate pre/pro that I would consider an upgrade from there would be one of the Meridians (8x $$$$).

Even using the Yamaha in stereo mode, I find its transparency amazingly good. Used in hi-res digital playback(DVDA & SACD), I don't find myself lacking in dynamics, soundstaging or blackness of background.