AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Search Results Ask Question | Log In | Bookmark This
BlueBookReviews Discussions EventsSystems
 Discussion threads: (1-100 of 257)
What are best hi efficiency speakers under 1000
I'm moving soon and will need to change my setup a bit. I'm using a Luminescence preamp with a vintage Luxman tube amp. I listen to a lot of records and I love

BEST ACTIVE DESK TOP SPEAKERS UNDER 1000 00
Two years ago I purchased the Swans M200 MKIII desk top active speaker that puts out 60 watts rms per speaker. They have a warm, rich, classic analog sound. I

Who needs a MM cartridge type when we have MC
why are so good and how to obtain its best quality sound reproduction ( as a fact I learn many things other than MM cartridge about. ). I donít start this ď

Whats on your turntable tonight
LP) Mendelssohn: Hebrides Overture (Speakers Corner 45rpm reissue) And then on CD so everyone could listen to some music they liked: Elbow: Cast of

Jazz for aficionados
r worst day is better than 99% on their best day. I visualize her looking me right in eyes as she forms the words. Moonlight in Vermont. WOW! Sarah

Capacitor log Mundorf Silver in Oil
changes have been. I have had the same speakers for many years so am very familiar with them. (25+ years) The speakers are a set of Klipsch Lascala's. They have Alnico

Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em
actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them,

The best speaker you ever heard
In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a

Synergistic New Tesla Line Any comments
that Synergistic interconnects had the best bass of any that Iíve heard, but the Teslas have a tighter bass with more impact than Designersí Reference. And

Lightspeed Attenuator Best Preamp Ever
The question is a bit rhetorical. No preamp is the best ever, and much depends on system context. I am starting this thread beacuase there is a lot of info on

High Fidelity Cables CT 1designed by Rick Schultz
simply does not seem as thought I have speakers. My system is musicians playing music. I am told with time they will improve and I trust that as it was revealed with

Building high end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II
ime on a Lenco platter, and this is the best result I've ever gotten, actually shiny, and it only took five minutes!!! I should market this and sell it to

Can any preamp be better than the final H Cat
it will be weeks before it is at its best. Lookout for another even more rave review. In 28 years of audio experimentation, I have never heard more of an

Cars What does the typical audiophile drive
excellent selection to choose from. The best thing about that is that, unlike many others, I don't have to worry about payments, etc on an expensive car so I have

Why not horns
owned a lot of speakers over the years but I have never experienced anything like the midrange reproduction from my horns. With a frequency

Esoteric DV 50: Any cdp's Significantly better
the above I would say the Ayre was the best. Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am

Zu Omen or Tekton Lore
floorstanders under $999 for low power SET amp?

Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD
One of the best I've heard to date is the Ayre. I know it's not expensive, but it's musical and I've heard it in a few systems and it

The best CD Player for the money
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A CD PLAYER AND I DONT KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO.WITH SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM I WANT TO PURCHASE SOMETHING GOOD BUT I DONT WANT TO

Reference DACS: An overall perspective
remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Wilson,Thiel,Dynaudio, Focal/JM Labs. Category #2) These DACS "flavors" revolve around a "musical/organic"

Personal speaker evolution
a thread I haven't ever seen here: What speakers have you owned? starting with the earliest, price paid, new/used, and perhaps the models that really impressed you (for

Zu Soul Superfly
just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the

Turntable speed accuracy
is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important

Amplifiers:A Keeper for Life Do you know of one
..above all, the designer is one of the best people i have ever known in my life...I may buy something else down the road because like most people i get curious

Taralabs cables
mensional lifelike sound that makes the speakers disappear, and they are also capable of the deepest most lifelike bass reproduction I have heard.

How much does your system retail for
$37,700 Just for Amp, preamp, CDP, Speakers, and cables; not counting over 1000 cds, TV, DVD, and VCR.

Best Integrated, period
Has anyone compared, Gryphon Diablo, Gamut Di150, Vitus SS101, Krell FBI, APL UA-S1 Jeff Rowland Continuum 500? Please add what you found to be best integrated.

How does one get off the merry go round
es, I have wheels on everything but the speakers. LOL I will never tell you that single this and that sounds as good as all that other stuff, but things sure

Why Don't More People Love Audio
friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap

Holographic imaging
ube system throws images way beyond the speakers with an orchestra playing Mahler, then there's something wrong. SS does not "fail" at imaging and I

Ayon Audio Forum all questions and suggestion
es have a USB input which while not the best its good enough for me. IPOD player though is first class! I run unit on ayon Spirit 3 , and with the help of the

Class D amps a different re view
heard it yet." BelCanto REF1000 (ICEpower) - score 10.5 pooints "The ICE power module used has a dependable reputation, and the design is well

Girlfriends and wifes, how do YOU cope
netsty about what you can afford is the best approach. To finance my hobby, I drive a 5 year old, 4 cylinder econo-car which is paid for. My family enjoys watching

Cable Costs Relative to System
be reached sooner with cables than with speakers and amps. Do most of you follow the 10% "rule" for cabling? How do PCs fit into this rule? Are there any super

Stillpoints and reference level speakers
Seems logical to assume that the makers of megabuck speakers would use superior footers in their designs. Any experience out there with Stillpoints isolation

Sony SCD XA5400ES Best SACD for under 10,000
This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for

How do you determine how much to spend on speakers
Hello all, I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how

Vintage DD turntables Are we living dangerously
as increasingly true for several of the best models of direct drive TTs, so he been forced to stop dealing in, for example, the TOTL Victor (JVC) TT-801 and TT-101

D SONIC SOA Class D Core Amps The best Class D
Owner/Designer Dean Deacon of D-Sonic in Houston in recent months dropped using the B&O ICE amps which he now only uses in the surround channels of his multi-

Cincinnati, OH, any audiophiles
Audio and almost bought a pair of ProAc speakers from them - but ultimately decided they would overwhelm my smallish room. A "pilgrimage" is definitely in the (future)

Biggest Baddest Audio Cables
s should be a good match to the amp and speakers you are running. Without that info, it's possible to get a great cable and still have the system sound terrible.

Why is 2 Channel better than multi channel
my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R. I have a

Turnable database with TimeLine
eping absolute and/or consistent speed 'under load'......but surely that needs to the 'a priori' fundamental? If that 'objective' quality can not be delivered....

You know you're an audiophile if
just got a pair of speakers you can barely move yourself (inverse proportionality with age probably too) The first house you bought cost less than

Is computer audio a bust
up of files in place and to get tags as best possible when ripping CDs initially. Classical music files in particular can be a challenge to auto tag easily.

New KT150 tubes
The current best price for a quad is 300 bucks...that's where they should be I think. My 4 120s have been in heavy daily use for a year

Sloped baffle
great speakers have it, some don't. Is it an important

The future of preamps
hat is why he mentioned 4 volts. Best regards, -- Al

Small room, "budget priced" speaker advice, please
For now, I need to find a pair of best-of-breed, truly "budget" speakers. By "budget," I'm talking upper limit of $850/pair. (Gone are my

Brinkmann vs TW Acustic
TW Acustic best sonding best made.

Your most disappointing purchase or audition
Finally, there have been too many speakers that got stellar write ups which I just didn't care for.

Reviews of 10k plus ics, speaker wires, and pcs
view these is that: (a) Megabuck speakers tend to be very big and very bulky .... not easy or willing to slog them across the country for a biased opinion. (

Legendary audio equipment
of the mass market shit. The B&W DM302 speakers have become a similar value today. Certainly worth the nod.....

speakers for classical music
Would like to hear from classical music listeners as to best floorstanders for that genre. B&W 803's sound good but want to get input with regard to other

Magico S5 vs Tannoy Westminster Royal SE
I need some opinion about these 2 speakers. I plan to acquire one of them. Anyone who owned or tried these speakers please share your experience. I won't be

Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store
to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now. Is it cool to go into a

Tube Amp for Martin Logan Speakers
Hi, I love tube sound through my Martin Logan Aerius-i fronts and Cinema-i center. I currently have a Butler 5150 which is a hybrid, but it busted on me and

Any opinions on the AMR Digital Processor 777 Dac
ir site translated into English. Best,

Amazing ''Overachieving'' products your pick
e music forever. Vintage Klipsch speakers-- Unforgiving of bad synergy, heavenly when good. Just $1300 or so for a pair of La Scala's, and I'm still

Do You Remember Your First CD Player
ike a deal since before that most were $1000 or more. I remember playing Yes 90125 at max volume and amazing all who listened. It started skipping at age 3 and I

ICE Amps for classical music
erience with JRDG 312 and Bel Canto Ref 1000 Mk.2. . . . I am mostly a classical music lover. . . lots of chamber to be exact. . . and love these particular amps. .

What companies, out of Business, did you LOVE
channel responses as well. What is the BEST systems or pieces you have heard from companies that are no longer in business!! I went to the garage, and pulled up

HYPEX,PASCAL OR ABLETEC
which powers my Magnepan 2.7qr speakers. For ht, I use the Oppo for decoding surround sound from Netflix, Directv and bluray discs. Two class A/B amps power

Sony HAP Z1ES Hi Res Music Player RMAF 2013
evice, a modified Sony SCD-1. It is the best sounding CD player I have ever heard. Especially after the mods I had done. I have heard a few 20k players from

Your best ''outstanding'' products in last 5 yrs
I have been reflecting on my biggest surprises and value-for-money purchases in the last 5 years - the ones that were truly impressive for the money, here are

PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Upgrade
t with a nickel coating, tout it as the best, produce a gold-plated version, cancel both products and then offer two multi-kilo Power Plants with the inferior

Considering analog but nervous
tube pre/SS Amp), and Focal/JM 1027be speakers. My entire current collection is digital and I have NEVER owned Vinyl before NOR have I ever heard a high-end Analog

Which Solid State Amplifier is Making you Happy
ut at high volumes it could also be the speakers. At least 200wpc is my personal minimum as power gets used up real fast.

Back into vinyl part 1
amplifier and cassette deck and Mission speakers. And then I found audio forums. OK, I have to admit Ė I am always questioning my knowledge. Even when I am 100% sure

TRL Dude or Joule 150 MKII for Major Pre Upgrade
est preamps for a long time, with Jud's best work said to be found in his latest iteration, especially the ME series.

Hi efficient speaker, bass problems
it me , whenever I hear low efficient speakers they don't seem to have a grip on the bass like less sensitive units ? The amount of bass is there , and some have good

what amp under a grand
I have vienna acoustic mozart grand marantz sr5005 avr,marantz 8001 sacd,vieanna theatro center,b&w 600s3 for rears,current amp adcom 555mk2.looked at used

Best solid state pre amp below US 10 000,00
Any suggestions ?

EE Minimax Plus DAC vs Rega DAC
frequencies. It seemed to have them under control, while the Rega just let them shine through too brightly. If the Minimax was forcing some sonic character at

When does analog compete with digital
an get very good digital for less that $1000, and actually can get reasonably good digital for less than $500. All this at new component retail prices. For

Emerald Physics CS 2, Opinions Please
couple of older threads regarding these speakers, I've been talking with the dealer, and I have read everything I could find on the internet. I understand the DSP's

Small Floor Standers
looking to create a short list of speakers for music only. The room is 15x28 with 9' ceilings and hard surfaces, except a few padded chairs and light fabric

Best Find Ever
I am curious to hear what the best find you ever had was. It doesn't have to be limited to audio equipment, though best audio find around here gets the 'bull-

Obscure companies making excellent speakers
Found on the forum names of speaker manufacturers unfamiliar to me that supposedly are using new technologies or designs and as a result are making big

New Bel Canto Gear at RMAF
they have a Mk II version of the Ref 1000's and some new mono amps. I'd be interested in hearing

Most forgiving high end speaker 10k 20k
high end speakers are typically so high in resolution that, while they sound superb with great and maybe even good recordings, they sound

Looking for a DAC for the Squeezebox Touch
Touch that I am using with my B&W 802DI speakers and my Cambridge 840W amplifier and 840E preamplifier. Have you also considered the Rega Dac which retails in the US

Most "Musical" sounding speaker cable under 1000
I am probably going to get knocked around for the use of that mysterious word "MUSICAL" in this tread. However would like some input from members who

moving on from Emotiva UMC 200 pre/processor
concur. :-) If you're going "music speakers", and focusing on improving 2 ch, then you should go dedicated 2 ch amp/pre and maybe separate the two systems

Speaker Choice for Almarro 318B
I'm in the market for some affordable speakers that will suit the amp better than my B&W DM 602 S3 speakers. The room is approx 14'X 16', hardwood floors with a small

Computer audio, I am not convinced yet
Windows laptop via USB. My preamp, amp, speakers and cables are also of very good quality. Played some track on my system from the PC (used Audacity software, a very

Older PURE CLASS A Amplifiers
mono bloc amps are still considered the best of class a sound today. They are just very tough to find.

Best interconnects & speaker cable I don't get it
I don't know if there is a question here but I'm posting this to see if there is something I'm missing or overlooking in this observation. To the point, I've

Integrated amp for Totem Sttaff
s is also another nice choice with your

Best Late Night Low Volume Speaker
What speaker would you recommend for magical late night, low volume listening? Price is no object and you can also recommend whatever associated

Best bang for buck purchase you have made
For me, it was buying a pair of used Magnepan MG-12 speakers for $550.00 from a dealer in Oregon. I had heard the 1.6 before, but not the smaller 12's. These

Which components are "stupid good"
dcom 565 preamp Sound Dynamics 300ti speakers C&J sonograph TT and arm Amber series 70 amp old but still sweet and not sterile like earlier SS amps JVC

Is an IPOD hi fi
o parasound amps and thence to some new speakers of his that he was demoing for the hifi press. That would count as hifi in my book.

Is Hi fi getting more expensive
ecent entry level system new (receiver, speakers, turntable and cart). YOu can walk into Best Buy today and get an entry level 2 channel system with multi

"Best" DAC for a grand or less
I am looking for a DAC for under a grand . I want something to favor the bass side ,as now my system is a bit on the bright side.I would like it to have a usb

1 piece of audio gear I really regret selling is
Audio Physics Virgo II speakers. What the heck was I thinking?

Size of Midrange Drivers
eight inch diamond coated berilium with 1000 watts behind them! I think when we're at the point where the wave launch gives you a skin peel, we'll be close to

What's the cost of an entry level vinyl setup
enough equipment to know that at it's best it's better than digital, but am not sure what it would cost for the average joe to get a quality

Good inexpensive temporary speakers
Until we move out of our condo in about a year, I'm looking for a good temporary (probably monitor) set of speakers. Once we purchase the house we'll be

1 | 2 | 3 Next >

Other Resources
Search other areas of Audiogon

"best speakers under 1000" in the Online BlueBook

"best speakers under 1000" in the Product Reviews

"best speakers under 1000" in the Audio Shows

"best speakers under 1000" in the Virtual Systems