AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Search Results Ask Question | Log In | Bookmark This
BlueBookReviews Discussions EventsSystems
 Discussion threads: (1-100 of 246)
What are best hi efficiency speakers under 1000
I'm moving soon and will need to change my setup a bit. I'm using a Luminescence preamp with a vintage Luxman tube amp. I listen to a lot of records and I love

BEST ACTIVE DESK TOP SPEAKERS UNDER 1000 00
Two years ago I purchased the Swans M200 MKIII desk top active speaker that puts out 60 watts rms per speaker. They have a warm, rich, classic analog sound. I

Who needs a MM cartridge type when we have MC
why are so good and how to obtain its best quality sound reproduction ( as a fact I learn many things other than MM cartridge about. ). I don’t start this “

Whats on your turntable tonight
LP) Mendelssohn: Hebrides Overture (Speakers Corner 45rpm reissue) And then on CD so everyone could listen to some music they liked: Elbow: Cast of

Capacitor log Mundorf Silver in Oil
changes have been. I have had the same speakers for many years so am very familiar with them. (25+ years) The speakers are a set of Klipsch Lascala's. They have Alnico

Jazz for aficionados
r worst day is better than 99% on their best day. I visualize her looking me right in eyes as she forms the words. Moonlight in Vermont. WOW! Sarah

Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em
actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them,

The best speaker you ever heard
In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a

Synergistic New Tesla Line Any comments
that Synergistic interconnects had the best bass of any that I’ve heard, but the Teslas have a tighter bass with more impact than Designers’ Reference. And

Lightspeed Attenuator Best Preamp Ever
The question is a bit rhetorical. No preamp is the best ever, and much depends on system context. I am starting this thread beacuase there is a lot of info on

Building high end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II
ime on a Lenco platter, and this is the best result I've ever gotten, actually shiny, and it only took five minutes!!! I should market this and sell it to

Can any preamp be better than the final H Cat
it will be weeks before it is at its best. Lookout for another even more rave review. In 28 years of audio experimentation, I have never heard more of an

Cars What does the typical audiophile drive
excellent selection to choose from. The best thing about that is that, unlike many others, I don't have to worry about payments, etc on an expensive car so I have

Why not horns
owned a lot of speakers over the years but I have never experienced anything like the midrange reproduction from my horns. With a frequency

Esoteric DV 50: Any cdp's Significantly better
the above I would say the Ayre was the best. Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am

Zu Omen or Tekton Lore
floorstanders under $999 for low power SET amp?

The best CD Player for the money
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A CD PLAYER AND I DONT KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO.WITH SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM I WANT TO PURCHASE SOMETHING GOOD BUT I DONT WANT TO

Reference DACS: An overall perspective
remind me of the sonic signature of speakers such as Wilson,Thiel,Dynaudio, Focal/JM Labs. Category #2) These DACS "flavors" revolve around a "musical/organic"

Personal speaker evolution
a thread I haven't ever seen here: What speakers have you owned? starting with the earliest, price paid, new/used, and perhaps the models that really impressed you (for

Zu Soul Superfly
just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the

Turntable speed accuracy
is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important

Amplifiers:A Keeper for Life Do you know of one
..above all, the designer is one of the best people i have ever known in my life...I may buy something else down the road because like most people i get curious

How much does your system retail for
$37,700 Just for Amp, preamp, CDP, Speakers, and cables; not counting over 1000 cds, TV, DVD, and VCR.

Best Integrated, period
Has anyone compared, Gryphon Diablo, Gamut Di150, Vitus SS101, Krell FBI, APL UA-S1 Jeff Rowland Continuum 500? Please add what you found to be best integrated.

How does one get off the merry go round
es, I have wheels on everything but the speakers. LOL I will never tell you that single this and that sounds as good as all that other stuff, but things sure

Why Don't More People Love Audio
friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap

Holographic imaging
ube system throws images way beyond the speakers with an orchestra playing Mahler, then there's something wrong. SS does not "fail" at imaging and I

Ayon Audio Forum all questions and suggestion
es have a USB input which while not the best its good enough for me. IPOD player though is first class! I run unit on ayon Spirit 3 , and with the help of the

Class D amps a different re view
heard it yet." BelCanto REF1000 (ICEpower) - score 10.5 pooints "The ICE power module used has a dependable reputation, and the design is well

Girlfriends and wifes, how do YOU cope
netsty about what you can afford is the best approach. To finance my hobby, I drive a 5 year old, 4 cylinder econo-car which is paid for. My family enjoys watching

Cable Costs Relative to System
be reached sooner with cables than with speakers and amps. Do most of you follow the 10% "rule" for cabling? How do PCs fit into this rule? Are there any super

Sony SCD XA5400ES Best SACD for under 10,000
This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for

How do you determine how much to spend on speakers
Hello all, I am just starting out in this HI-FI stuff and have a pretty modest budget (prospectively about 5K) for all. Any suggestions as to how

Cincinnati, OH, any audiophiles
Audio and almost bought a pair of ProAc speakers from them - but ultimately decided they would overwhelm my smallish room. A "pilgrimage" is definitely in the (future)

Biggest Baddest Audio Cables
s should be a good match to the amp and speakers you are running. Without that info, it's possible to get a great cable and still have the system sound terrible.

How many dollars does it take to be High End
his to money one person may consider a $1000 preamp high end while another pegs it at $10000. Very subjective.

Why is 2 Channel better than multi channel
my HT system to try and achieve the best of both worlds, I currently have a 3 channel amp driving my SL, SR, C and a 2 channel amp driving my L and R. I have a

You know you're an audiophile if
just got a pair of speakers you can barely move yourself (inverse proportionality with age probably too) The first house you bought cost less than

The future of preamps
hat is why he mentioned 4 volts. Best regards, -- Al

Small room, "budget priced" speaker advice, please
For now, I need to find a pair of best-of-breed, truly "budget" speakers. By "budget," I'm talking upper limit of $850/pair. (Gone are my

Brinkmann vs TW Acustic
TW Acustic best sonding best made.

speakers for classical music
Would like to hear from classical music listeners as to best floorstanders for that genre. B&W 803's sound good but want to get input with regard to other

Legendary audio equipment
of the mass market shit. The B&W DM302 speakers have become a similar value today. Certainly worth the nod.....

Amazing ''Overachieving'' products your pick
e music forever. Vintage Klipsch speakers-- Unforgiving of bad synergy, heavenly when good. Just $1300 or so for a pair of La Scala's, and I'm still

Do You Remember Your First CD Player
ike a deal since before that most were $1000 or more. I remember playing Yes 90125 at max volume and amazing all who listened. It started skipping at age 3 and I

Any opinions on the AMR Digital Processor 777 Dac
ir site translated into English. Best,

ICE Amps for classical music
erience with JRDG 312 and Bel Canto Ref 1000 Mk.2. . . . I am mostly a classical music lover. . . lots of chamber to be exact. . . and love these particular amps. .

To Tube or not to Tube
My pre-amp is a SS Threshold, JM Lab speakers with a "minimum impedance of 4 Ohms," EAR 834P phono stage, & Unison tube cd player. Much

Reviews of 10k plus ics, speaker wires, and pcs
view these is that: (a) Megabuck speakers tend to be very big and very bulky .... not easy or willing to slog them across the country for a biased opinion. (

What companies, out of Business, did you LOVE
channel responses as well. What is the BEST systems or pieces you have heard from companies that are no longer in business!! I went to the garage, and pulled up

Your best ''outstanding'' products in last 5 yrs
I have been reflecting on my biggest surprises and value-for-money purchases in the last 5 years - the ones that were truly impressive for the money, here are

Sony HAP Z1ES Hi Res Music Player RMAF 2013
evice, a modified Sony SCD-1. It is the best sounding CD player I have ever heard. Especially after the mods I had done. I have heard a few 20k players from

PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Upgrade
t with a nickel coating, tout it as the best, produce a gold-plated version, cancel both products and then offer two multi-kilo Power Plants with the inferior

Considering analog but nervous
tube pre/SS Amp), and Focal/JM 1027be speakers. My entire current collection is digital and I have NEVER owned Vinyl before NOR have I ever heard a high-end Analog

Which Solid State Amplifier is Making you Happy
ut at high volumes it could also be the speakers. At least 200wpc is my personal minimum as power gets used up real fast.

Back into vinyl part 1
amplifier and cassette deck and Mission speakers. And then I found audio forums. OK, I have to admit – I am always questioning my knowledge. Even when I am 100% sure

TRL Dude or Joule 150 MKII for Major Pre Upgrade
est preamps for a long time, with Jud's best work said to be found in his latest iteration, especially the ME series.

Hi efficient speaker, bass problems
it me , whenever I hear low efficient speakers they don't seem to have a grip on the bass like less sensitive units ? The amount of bass is there , and some have good

Emotiva amplifiers review/experience
ent in the upper midrange than the very best -- it's a sweet sounding amp with immense reserves, but it has a very slight hint of fine grain. For the money, I don'

Best solid state pre amp below US 10 000,00
Any suggestions ?

EE Minimax Plus DAC vs Rega DAC
frequencies. It seemed to have them under control, while the Rega just let them shine through too brightly. If the Minimax was forcing some sonic character at

When does analog compete with digital
an get very good digital for less that $1000, and actually can get reasonably good digital for less than $500. All this at new component retail prices. For

HYPEX,PASCAL OR ABLETEC
which powers my Magnepan 2.7qr speakers. For ht, I use the Oppo for decoding surround sound from Netflix, Directv and bluray discs. Two class A/B amps power

Emerald Physics CS 2, Opinions Please
couple of older threads regarding these speakers, I've been talking with the dealer, and I have read everything I could find on the internet. I understand the DSP's

Small Floor Standers
looking to create a short list of speakers for music only. The room is 15x28 with 9' ceilings and hard surfaces, except a few padded chairs and light fabric

Best Find Ever
I am curious to hear what the best find you ever had was. It doesn't have to be limited to audio equipment, though best audio find around here gets the 'bull-

Best Complete HomeTheater USED for 5000 00
Experienced Audiophile - who want wants switch to Home theater for a while. Though I still want to enjoy my CDs on two channel ? Also whats the best / largest

Obscure companies making excellent speakers
Found on the forum names of speaker manufacturers unfamiliar to me that supposedly are using new technologies or designs and as a result are making big

New Bel Canto Gear at RMAF
they have a Mk II version of the Ref 1000's and some new mono amps. I'd be interested in hearing

Most forgiving high end speaker 10k 20k
high end speakers are typically so high in resolution that, while they sound superb with great and maybe even good recordings, they sound

Looking for a DAC for the Squeezebox Touch
Touch that I am using with my B&W 802DI speakers and my Cambridge 840W amplifier and 840E preamplifier. Have you also considered the Rega Dac which retails in the US

what amp under a grand
I have vienna acoustic mozart grand marantz sr5005 avr,marantz 8001 sacd,vieanna theatro center,b&w 600s3 for rears,current amp adcom 555mk2.looked at used

Most "Musical" sounding speaker cable under 1000
I am probably going to get knocked around for the use of that mysterious word "MUSICAL" in this tread. However would like some input from members who

Speaker Choice for Almarro 318B
I'm in the market for some affordable speakers that will suit the amp better than my B&W DM 602 S3 speakers. The room is approx 14'X 16', hardwood floors with a small

Computer audio, I am not convinced yet
Windows laptop via USB. My preamp, amp, speakers and cables are also of very good quality. Played some track on my system from the PC (used Audacity software, a very

Older PURE CLASS A Amplifiers
mono bloc amps are still considered the best of class a sound today. They are just very tough to find.

Best interconnects & speaker cable I don't get it
I don't know if there is a question here but I'm posting this to see if there is something I'm missing or overlooking in this observation. To the point, I've

Integrated amp for Totem Sttaff
s is also another nice choice with your

Best Late Night Low Volume Speaker
What speaker would you recommend for magical late night, low volume listening? Price is no object and you can also recommend whatever associated

Best bang for buck purchase you have made
For me, it was buying a pair of used Magnepan MG-12 speakers for $550.00 from a dealer in Oregon. I had heard the 1.6 before, but not the smaller 12's. These

Which components are "stupid good"
dcom 565 preamp Sound Dynamics 300ti speakers C&J sonograph TT and arm Amber series 70 amp old but still sweet and not sterile like earlier SS amps JVC

Is an IPOD hi fi
o parasound amps and thence to some new speakers of his that he was demoing for the hifi press. That would count as hifi in my book.

Is Hi fi getting more expensive
ecent entry level system new (receiver, speakers, turntable and cart). YOu can walk into Best Buy today and get an entry level 2 channel system with multi

Looking for "realistic" speakers
I just had my pair of Cary Audio Silver Oak speakers get fried along with the rest of my Cary gear in some kind of power surge (sniff sniff). And absolutely

"Best" DAC for a grand or less
I am looking for a DAC for under a grand . I want something to favor the bass side ,as now my system is a bit on the bright side.I would like it to have a usb

Pro Ject turntables
so what then is your advice if all the under-$1000 TTs are crap? And at what level does a turntable newbie start at?

1 piece of audio gear I really regret selling is
Audio Physics Virgo II speakers. What the heck was I thinking?

What's the cost of an entry level vinyl setup
enough equipment to know that at it's best it's better than digital, but am not sure what it would cost for the average joe to get a quality

can i improve my system with a better cd player
player can someone recommend something under 500 buciks? I like buying used since my system is dated itself but it still sounds decent to

What is your favorite type of tweeter
seems to me that 98% of speakers under $1000/pr use dome tweeters, 95% of speakers under $5000/pr use domes, 92% of speakers under $10000/pr use domes, and 90% of

So what would you recommend for my next upgrade
recent help on "tuning" the speakers, it's beginning to sound very nice. But, you know, there's always room to grow . . . or spend money. Equipment list is

Talon New owner NO customer service
got me, "go buy a Crown amp for a $1000 and make a wood panel for the back" BEWARE---it appears Rives do not want to support Talons existing

Maple platforms
if anyone has used maple platforms under their turntable and if so what were the results. An exmple of the platforms I'm refering to can be seen at:

subwoofer suggestions
Audio Apex 5.1 speaker system. Front speakers go down into low 50Hz while rears go down to mid 60s. Room is 8' high x 18' wide x 12' deep, is reasonably well

Power for Thiel 7 2
's system with Thiel 7.2's. He is using 1000 watt McIntosh monoblock amps. Based on his observations more wattage for these speakers is better. Not to mention I

Best speakers for about 2000 a pair
I was looking at the Magnepan 1.7's but not real thrilled about some quality issues I hear about Maggies. So, what others should I be lookoing at. I tried out

Great old speakers that are as good as new ones
I have some psb stratus golds now and i really like them but they are pretty old now. Still sound great though. What are the best speakers have you owned or

Can good speakers take edge off digital
I have a pair of Quad 12L2 speakers hooked up to an 845 SET. When I am listening to analog, the system sounds fine. But with digital, well, it has that bit

ZYX R 1000 Series Omega S
Some time ago, I had been considering buying one more new MC carts and had posted a thread under the title of “Phase Tech P-1G and ZYX Omega-S”. I have finally

Amp for Apogee Stage's
think the impedance dips a bit on these speakers, and the ribbons are pretty revealing. Combined with a Jadis tube preamp, the system had some of the best

1 | 2 | 3 Next >

Other Resources
Search other areas of Audiogon

"best speakers under 1000" in the Online BlueBook

"best speakers under 1000" in the Product Reviews

"best speakers under 1000" in the Audio Shows

"best speakers under 1000" in the Virtual Systems