Review: Stealth Cables Metacarbon Interconnect

Category: Cables

First, I would like to thank the fellow GON members who gave me accurate and helpful information regarding the Metacarbon cable last week when I posted a thread regarding the performance of these IC's.

On a few occasions I had heard in other individual's systems the justly praised Stealth Indra cables. I also had read much about this very special and expensive cable, along with talking to many "golden eared" audiophiles who believe it's one of the great IC's produced today. They all said don't audition this cable unless you can handle the price of admission (around $6000.00 new) because if you put it in, you won't want to take it out.

I had auditioned a bunch of digital cables before I settled on the Stealth Sextet, I wrote a review of that cable also here on the GON, which was one of the most amazing cables I have ever put into my system. It was Stealth's attempt to replicate the sonics of the Indra IC's in a digital cable.

I then started to read about how Serguei Timachev, Mr. Stealth Cables, was trying to design/build a new IC's that would also live up to the legendary Indra's sonic performance for two reasons:

1) The infamous amorphous metal/conductor of the Indra that he brought with him from Russia, would one day run out and not be able to be replaced.

2) He wanted to design a cable that would offer the sonic performance of the Indra at a much lower cost point.

As, in all my reviews if you want technical details I recommend you go to Stealth's website or the 6moons website for a more detailed history. In brief, the Metacarbons are a very well built cable that's jet black with gold sparkles, relatively loose, not rigid and are composed of carbon with fine metal particles in a specific recipe. My pair are single ended with locking RCA's.

The Sonics of the Metacarbon

I could get very long winded about all the striking attributes of this cable because there all their in spades:

1) Transparency/clarity 2) A much bigger/better soundstage 3) More air around each player and more precise layering 4) Tremendous macrodynamics/extension 5) Very natural timbres 6) Beautiful details

Just as I struggled to try to express in words what the Stealth Sextet did in my system, it's just as hard to try to convey what the Metacarbon's offered without sounding mystical or so subjective that the following statements just sound "mumbo-jumbo". The above stated sonic attributes are fine and dandy, but they don't explain the further absence of "any type of electrical/artificial sense" of music being reproduced in my system. How do you explain the sound of "nothing" except to say things like , it just sounds more like real music, or it's more organic and musical, or it makes it more easy to relax into the illusion that your hearing real music. Well, that's the best I can do and I hope it conveys what I'm experiencing with this cable in my system.

So, did Mr.Timachev come up with a exact sonic clone for his legendary Indra? I don't know since I never had one in my own system. However, individual's who have heard both seem to believe the Indra is still slightly better at not sonicly "being there" compared to the Metacarbons. The Metacarbons have to be ranked as one of the finest reference cables around today. I also always say their is no BEST piece of gear in the world, including the Metacarbons, so much of our hobby is based on personnal taste/system synergy. These are not inexpensive cables, they retail for $3000.00 for a one meter pair, but based on a cost/performance ratio, they offer reference level sonics for alot less money then many other cables.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System
teajay
Teajay,

I'm glad you finally tried the Stealth interconnect. I finally ended up with the Varidig Sextet after your review sparked my interest. I have one Indra to go along with the Sextet, so I understand what you're saying. With the Stealth pieces in place, there's just something "natural and right" about the sound. At times I may want to put an old interconnect back in because it has a little more of this or that, but I can't get past the lack of that something special that the Stealth allows to come through, and they always ends up back in. I'm glad that you like the Metacarbon.

Chuck

Hi Teajay, I didn't realize you had this thread and replied to your suggestions thread and said try the Indra.

I have not tried this interconnect, it sure is allot less expensive than the Indra, I can't comment on the differences but can only say that I just replaced my cable from Dac to Pre and it is a improvment over my VD cable. I heard that this is where you will get your biggest bang for your buck, a second cable from pre to amp is an improvement but apparently as noticeable. I haven't tried it so I don't know, I am now contemplating on getting one of these cables that you have mentioned and put it there.

So when are you going to get some power cords? I heard the Dream cords are amazing, they come in three different series for different components.
Dev-
Which VD cable got replaced? I am considering replacing my VD REv Sig ICs from source to pre w/Stealth Indra, but I'm a couple of months away. Any comments?
I now have an Indra followed by all Metacarbon in my system. The improvement in my system is quite delightful and still had to explain. These cables do improve on all the specific sonic traits, microdetails, space/air in the soundstage, extension on top and bottom, etc., however that quality that Chuck called, "natural and right" and what I call just sounding more like "real" music is more present in my rig with the combination of the Indra and Metacarbons running totally through it.
I would be coming from a Nordost Tyr interconnect and SPM speaker cable, on an all Mcintosh 275/c220 with EAR 834p "deluxe" Linn LP12 w/Ittok/Dorian,

I was curious as to what changes on average people notice when going to the Stealth meta-carbon.

thanks!!

Mark