AudiogoN
Buy Sell Learn MyPage Help
 Learn > Forums > About Rodman99999 | Log In

Rodman99999's Responses in Amps Preamps  Posts
Fuses that matter.
@M- I AM
Favorite 300B: Sophia vs KR
Just buy these: ( http://cgi.ebay.com/new-old-stock-tubes-Western-Electric-300B-match-pair_W0QQitemZ290512896436QQcategoryZ64629QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%. . .
Best Integrated, period.
The Musical Concepts KW-500 is no slouch either: (http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/archived/kw500.html) IF you can find someone that's willing to part with one
fuses - the $39 ones or the 85 cent ones
Here is a site that has some testimonies as to their effectivness: (http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1782) As usual there are those that haven't tried them, . . .
Designer Hall of Fame
Am I showing my age by mentioning William Zane Johnson(ARC), David Hafler(Dyanco,etc.), John Dahlquist, and John Curl(the Levinson JC-2)? Each of these men produced designs that . . .
What direction should Hi Fi tune fuse be installed
@Frogman- If you HAVE to explain; they WON'T understand
What do you see as the downside of tubes?
What Semi said, times 2
Fremer lays an Ostrich egg...
Methinks thou dost protest too much
The Best Amp for the Price of Dirt
Davemitchell- Perhaps Mr. Aczel is a re-incarnation of Mr. Hirsch? If these listeners can be satisfied with the Behringer equipment in their listening rooms, let them enjoy their . . .
tube amps and electrostatics
Probably why Quad, aka- Peter J. Walker(RIP) & 'The Acoustical Manufacturing Company', has been building a line of tube amps, for so many decades
Magnepan 1.7 too bright, HELP
Get cheap power cords/an AC filter from RAT SHACK, and you will be pounding nails into those Walmart tires
Amp more important than speakers?
Read the sixth paragraph of this review(and following). The expensive components displayed, and supposedly connected, were Krell. The amp actually driving the speakers; a $650.00. . .
ARC Ref 3: Tung-Sol 6550 in power supply?
I second everything Bart just said. NOS Power supply tubes can provide a major sonic improvement to any equipment, and there are a number of excellent 6550 iterations out there to. . .
audiphile power cords
@W- Perhaps the OP is truly fond of Audis. They are a very well crafted car! I wasn't aware they had built an electric though
Ultra high resolution
Joey- Don't worry, It really doesn't. Actually: Some mil-spec suppliers(Vishay, Caddock, etc) are used extensively in the best audio gear for their low noise resistors (http://www. . .
Lifespan of a quality solid state amplifier?
In 1981; I bought a Hafler DH500(kit), to power the woofers of my biamped system(I was a Hafler dealer, at the time). Gave it to my son, 15 years ago, when I bought a Hafler Trans. . .
Made in Canada conundrum
Canada? Oh yeah- Those unfriendly neighbors to the North! I'm certainly glad that my excellent BAT, TacT, Cary, Magnepan, Nestorovic, Hafler, Kimber, Silver Audio, Synergistic . . .
Do you leave your components on 24/7?
One can have enough degrees to be a thermometer(I only got two at Case Institute), and they will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for the individual's aural acuity, or their system's . . .
The Best Compliment You've Gotten On Your Rig?
WOW- It's like we're THERE!(From a fellow live-music lover
Upgrading wall outlets
As you have now realized, based on ACTUALLY TRYING THE UPGRADES YOURSELF, and on your own AURAL ACUITY; improvements to your power supply(whether internal to the components, or to . . .
Trying to extract more from my Vandersteen
Drewyou- Now for the icing on the cake: Replace the 6922 tubes in your CDP with a pair of Siemens E188CC's, 7308's or CCa's. If you shop for the CCa's: be certain they are from . . .
Is soundstage just a distortion?
The following provide tests, with which one may determine whether their system actually images, or reproduces a soundstage, as recorded. ie: On the Chesky sampler/test CD; David . . .
High end Audio for ladies? Check this out
Hey Ait- That's the view of a Dali Megaline from the front. Notice the ribbon array at the right of it's cabinet? The one on the right is a partial profile. The owner appears . . .
Kevin gets the
Based solely on my experience with their tubes; the quality, testing procedures, knowledge base and customer service, of Upscale, are second to none. Kevin's attitude, at times, . . .
Buy tubes from Audio Research or not
Elberoth2, et al- Read these procedural descriptions, and see how they compare with ARC's: (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/rare/tpm.htm) (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/rare/noisetest.. . .
a tube amplifier repair technician
The truth is that V-Caps can take up to 200hrs to burn in(Teflon's like that). They are the most transparent caps out there after that. You can speed the process by playing a . . .
Sneaky new internet tax pushing through fast
( http://news.yahoo.com/few-senators-block-vote-internet-sales-tax-bill-195924551--finance.html
Can tube preamps be as 'detailed' sounding as ss?
Were you to invest in a Cary SLP 98, then search for a NOS pair of TungSol 6SN7GTs(black, round plate from the 40's), and a pair of NOS Sylvania 6SN7Ws(tall bottle, either metal or. . .
What kind of power wakes up electrostatic speakers
Whatta ya bet: Steakster's found an amp by now
Trade- off, power SS vs tube magic.
If we have to explain, you wouldn't understand
Why are older tubes so much sought after
Good answer Tvad! There are less than a handful of companies now producing tubes that compare with NOS in quality of materials, care in manufacture and sonic performance. Here's . . .
Most transparent amp you've heard?
...and how would one know he had transparent speakers and a transparent amp unless he had a transparent preamp, and a transparent source. And, if one one had all these, how would. . .
girlfriend problems
Will she help pay for the new family Joules
Most resolving, transparent amps.
Tgrisham and Phd have nailed the term, "transparency" to a tee. Further- If the recordings you are listening were engineered/reproduced with an unfortunate hand/ear- The. . .
Ssssh, is your tube preamp really that quiet?
When choosing tubes, for a pre or phono section; it's imperative to seek out those that are tested, and certified, for that purpose(Low Noise). Of course; your provider has to . . .
New Fuse Thread . . .
Dave- I completely agree! If one does not try something themselves, and actually experience the effect(or not): How can they have anything outside of a totally empty opinion? . . .
Is there any 50W 300B SET monoblock out there?
@Ait- Unless that's a 300B on steroids; you didn't answer the question. Nice job though
Best EL-34 Amps?
Mr Magfan- Exactly! One of the most successful tube amps ever(the Dynaco ST-70) used EL-34's. The excellently designed and executed output transformers made that amp. They can . . .
"Breathing" of the air
The Audio Glossary (http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/bkaa7-s.htm) Defines "air/airy" as, "Pertaining to treble that sounds light, delicate, open and . . .
Tone controls- to use or not?
Mr C- Once upon a time the definition of, "audiophile" implied one that did as little harm to the original signal as possible. Basically- your straight wire with gain . . .
Silky and soft highs: product of coloration?
As stated: The ideal amplifier will simply pass what it is fed without any change whatever, only adding gain. Those amps truly are rare, but- extemely important to those that WANT. . .
Leave solid state amps on? Or turn off everytime?
Absolutely- Leave them on
Where are you today?
I've been enjoying the liquid mid-range/3D imaging/transparency/realism of a tubed top-end(Cary SLM100's, modded) and the speed/definition/extension/power of a MOS-FET bottom-end . . .
what do you use to remove your tubes?
I put my hand in a cotton athletic sock, but then- my tubes are completely exposed, and their silicone dampers make them even easier to grasp
Why manufactures donīt burn in their amps and ...
Most factors/dynamics(with the exception of speaker system drivers) that are involved in "burn-in" will also diminish with idle time, and require another burn-in period. . .
New Adcom GFA-555 se - Special Edition
100,000 units/likely the best selling......? A testament to how deaf many people are. The Dynaco ST-70 sold over 300,000 units, because it sounded/sounds much more like music(. . .
Poll - Active vs. Passive preamp
If your source has enough potential voltage output to drive your amp to it's max wattage: You will lose nothing but coloration. If that's the case: You need nothing but . . .
Does the volume control effect sound quality?
Volume pots are very critical, with regards to the performance of a preamp, or any other sound-reproductive device. Alps, TKD and Noble make some highly regarded ones: ( http://. . .
Help with finding ultra-transparent pre-amp
Sashav- I used the Placette Passive Linestage for few years. The Placette Passives(you may already know) use no attenuator at all. They are a resistor ladder, built exclusively . . .
which tube mono blocks?
These: (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1232672742&/Antique-Sound-Lab-hurricane-mo) Some info: (http://www.vacuumtube.com/antiquesoundlabs.htm) BTW: The amps . . .
Whats with the Watts ??
The idea that a doubling in volume takes twice the power is incorrect, but a common error. Our hearing is logarithmic, while the db or power scale is linear. It actual take 10X . . .
How make my Ayre system "warmer"?
Tubes don't add distortion until they are driven to distortion. Then they produce even-order harmonics rather than the odd-order harmonics that SS devices produce when over-driven. . .
What is the proper way to dispose of old tubes?
Put 'em in a blender and proceed as instructed here: (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/1064.htm
Lack of depth problem
What are you driving them with? There are a lot of amps that allow no sound stage depth(few SS amps will). My Cary monoblocks will, and that depth increases dramically with the . . .
Second failure of new amplifier
As long as you rolled the tubes with tubes of the exact same family(IE: 6DJ8/6922/6H23/7308/E88cc/E188cc/CCa) it should not void the warranty. Burn-in time has absolutely nothing . . .
The Definition of An Audiophile
My reference has been live music(acoustic and amplified)as a sound tech for the past 30+ years. Rest assured: You have opened a can of worms with this thread. Live music is . . .
Retro Hi End Trivia Question
Mr C- One such clamp was the Orsonic Disc Stabilizer(DS-250), which I'm holding in my hand at the moment(black body, silver button and all
bi amp imrpoving?
Are you referring to passive or active biamping? With active systems(which I've been implemented, at home, since 1980), your amps are only required to process the bandwidth . . .
Is upgrading stock tubes standard proceedure?
There are a few modern companies that take the time and use the quality of materials that made MOST of the NOS tubes so good. The vast majority of those manufacturing tubes . . .
Is there a very nice SS amp around 1K?
Blindjim- Hafler Corp was purchased by Rockford Group some years back. They do still support the products that they've built(like the 9505), but- not the earlier stuff. . . .
Tube amps have a signature sound
I've been listening to live music as a sound tech/engineer since the late 70's. My experience has paralleled that of the reviewers in Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, FI, and most. . .
Capacitor question
@David- Teflon has one of the lowest Dielectric Absorption rates, which makes it one of the best dielectrics out there(next to air and vacuum). It also takes the longest to burn-. . .
What is the affect of cd player?
There is no "most important" in an audio chain. Think of yourself as looking at a garden(your recording of musicians in the original venue), through a number of glass . . .
Which Digital processor/equalizer ?
If you should choose to go with a Behringer unit: Keep in mind that the Behringer ECM8000 mic is not a calibrated mic. It's response below 100Hz is inaccurate(fast roll-off), and . . .
Do Mono Block amps provide better sound ??
Too many variables to make categorical statements. Separate power supplies CAN make big difference, IF they are of sufficient build quality. Crosstalk is nonexistant, but that . . .
EQ before Preamp?
Eldartford- I use Behringer equipment all the time when doing installs for venues, and gigs for a few bands(the cheapskate ones). I've been in them. Sorry to burst your bubble: . . .
Anyone enjoy their amp's sound more than music?
The more my amps sound like the music I hear(live), a couple times a week; the more I enjoy them. Just installed four Deuland CAST-PIO-Cu coupling caps, in my mains, to get a wee . . .
WHAT RECORDINGS MAKE YOUR SYSTEM SHINE?
Sheffield Labs, 'Track & Drum Record'(DTD). Sheffield Labs, 'I Got The Music In ME'(DTD). Crystal Clear, 'San Francisco Ltd'(45RPM, DTD). Analogue Productions, 'Folk Singer'(. . .
Cayin A70T has bogus tube rectification?
You bought an amp that was manufactured in china(cap omitted intentionally), and you're surprised that the rectifier tube is bogus/counterfeit/fake? Counterfeiting ia their . . .
end of an era ......
D'Agostino is no longer with Krell. He is now D'Agostino Inc. Ford, Ferrari and Porsche were never, "one man shows." Saul sold Marantz thirty some years before his . . .
Why no heated gear?
The question WAS NOT asked, solely concerning TUBED equipment. In fact: the thread originator asked if he should switch to SS gear, so he could leave it ON all the time(and kept . . .
Looking to add warmth
If you don't want accuracy, but rather warm coloration: just sub out some carbon composition resistors almost anywhere in your signal path. NOTE: What some perceive as, "warmth. . .
Sub best at high crossover?
You're no longer using it as a, "SUB." 200Hz is close to a piano's Middle C(264Hz). BUT- As long as it makes you happy..... You may find this of interest: (http://. . .
Can pro amps possibly sound good? Crown, QSC, etc
If a piece of "pro" gear meets your criteria for "good", fly with it! I've been using a Hafler TransNova 9505 to bi-amp my woofers with for years. It's a &. . .
Recommended 12au7/5814s for Atma-sphere MP-3
You may find some of these observations useful:(http://home.comcast.net/~gillespie147/12AU7-Preamp.html)(http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6sn7sound.html) I've tried the top 8 tubes. . .
Damping factor or watts?
Damping factor is is an amplifier's ability to control a woofer's motion after the drive signal has ceased. For example: if you drive a loudspeaker with a bass drum whack, the . . .
Class D and Power Cables31
Prefered 300B tubes for Canary Amplifiers
( http://www.westernelectric.com/products/300b.html
Replacing The Stock EH 6SN7 Tubes For Cary SLP 05
The notes an info on this page, have proven very accurate, in my experience: (http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/6sn7_vt.htm) I've tried every tube in the top 10, on this listing, in . . .
An honest opinion about upgrading?
IF the volume levels which you are obtaining are satifying to you; much of the improvement you desire can be had via NOS driver/phase splitter tubes in your power amp. For . . .
To turn off or not to turn off
"SS equipment idles at very low power and need not to be turned off unless there's threats from power surges." UNLESS that SS gear happens to run in Class A
Impressions of PS Audio GCPH
I've experienced no noise problems at all with the GCPH. That's set at it's highest gains, inputting a Dynavector 17D3(.3mV output), with SR's Tricon Analog phono leads. I run my. . .
Lamm L2 Reference tube recommendation
There is no substitute for the Russian 6C19P regulator(unfortunate, as the regulator of a tube pre-amp or power amp's power supply can yield much in the way of sonic improvement. . .
? Tube Replacement Question ?
Something VERY important, when purchasing preamp tubes; being CERTAIN they are CERTIFIED LOW NOISE. ie: Upscale Audio stringently tests and grades their tubes, per their noise, . . .
Wire the House A/C or get Power Conditioner?
You should do both, but follow the path that Rushton suggests. Been there, done that and wish I'd done the double run of 10AWG & high grade outlets first. And an emphatic YES; . . .
What is a passive preamp?
Actually "preamplifier" Means, "an amplifier before" something else, just as "pre-driver" means a transistor or tube that drives (provides a gain . . .
Hafler XL600 Vs Hafler 9505 Much difference?
Chances are good that what you're hearing as a, "bass problem" with the 9505, is a case of expiring power supply filter caps. I've been using mine to power the bottom of. . .
Need help determining next upgrade - 3rd ATTEMPT
Have you tried a little toe-in, on your speakers? Do you have anything on the side walls & ceiling, to combat reflections? (http://stereos.about.com/od/optimizingperformance/a/. . .
Phase Linear
OH- If you are looking for an inexpensive, and high powered/decent sounding/VERY stable SS amp: Find a Hafler DH-500. 255 Watts into 8ohms, can drive a 2ohm load easily(you can . . .
mono versus stereo ampflication
These thoughts have been mentioned, but- I'd like to agree: Having two separate power supplies, and being able to place the amps much closer to the speakers(shorter cables) are two. . .
Best small signal tube for a preamp?
If you haven't heard the Siemens CCa from the '60s(grey plate under getter support),: you haven't heard all the music. The entry price is steep(I had to find three NOS, matched . . .
Sumptuous, lush, rich, liquid golden midrange amp?
Whatever you end up with, load it with NOS Mullard, Brimar, or Genelex tubes, and you should have all the sumptuous warmth your little heart desires. If your equipment takes any . . .
Tube Basics 101: What is a rectifier tube for?
A power supply's rectifier(and it's quality) is VERY important to the sound of any amplifying circuit(phono, mic, preamp, power amp, etc). Anyone that has taken the time to . . .
Running 4 speakers from a 2-channel amp
Find a used David Hafler DH-200, DH-220 or DH-500. All can drive a two Ohm load with ease, utilizing MOS-FETs for output devices(not prone to thermal runaway). An operating 200 . . .
Hybrid - Tube / SS amp capable of sub 1 Ohm loads?
I second the Moscode suggestion. The amp has MOS-FET output devices, and they work fine(don't thermally run away)into low impedences
Genuine Telefunken?
The info on the genuine Tele's having the diamond molded in to the bottom glass, and their excellent sound qualities is all correct. I've not seen this counterfeited as yet. Only. . .
The sound of glasswear
I've been using a modded Tact RCS 2.2aaa and a pair of Cary tubed monoblocks, for a number of years now. A wonderful degree of realism. My tweaked BAT VK-D5 has to be adding to . . .
need help on transparent sounding 12au7 tubes
You will have NO problem finding low noise/non-microphonic NOS tubes. You just have to shop with sellers that know how to test for such things. Kevin Deal is one of those that is. . .
Biamping B&W 802 with Musical Fidelity and Bryston
There's nothing scary or hard about bi-amping, and the audible benefits are many. I've been actively bi-amping for years(tube top/SS bottom), but it's much easier with two . . .
Parasound, McCormick, Odyssey - best under $1000
He may have found an amp by now
My new apartment has no 3 prong plugs with ground
There will be two mains fuses, at the top of your electrical panel. Read the sizes on those, to determine how much amperage is available, per phase. Outlet boxes in older homes . . .
Is the moscode 600 a great amplifier?
Replace the tubes with either Siemens E188CC/7308 or CCa, and the sound will be transformed greatly. Then there's the upgrade path as well: (http://moscode.home.att.net/. . .
Are mono tube amps my best choice?
Your speaker system has the efficiency to work well with tubed amps. There is much musical enjoyment to be gained by making the switch to tubes, IF you don't mind the minor added . . .
Can excellent tubes transcend modest amps?
Actually- The better and more resolving the equipment and system, the more you will be able to appreciate the difference NOS tubes make. I'm referring to some of the Holy Grails . . .
How do you clean tube pins?
The best stuff is Caig DeoxIT Gold, in the pen (http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1554/.f?sc=2&category=292) Wipe the pen tip around the pins a couple times, clean off with a rag. . .
Analyzing the power from the outlet
This is a device that can be plugged into a dual-trace O-scope, and will display the high freq noise, on your incoming AC(both line to neutral and neutral to ground): (http://pdf.. . .
What is going on
Just like any other market; Whatever you have is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. What's asked is just a starting point. If it's worth too much to you; you get to. . .
A 9 watts SET for the Maggies, Heavenly marriage
Try a pair of these: (http://www.caryaudio.com/products/classic/CAD805AE.html
sweet, euphonic, reasonably powerful tube amp?
What 6550's are your using in to VT-100? Some are brighter than others. have you tried lowering the bias slightly? That will also take a bit of edge off. If the amp were either. . .
tube amps sounding like solid state and vv
Typical tube circuits have very few components in the signal path, and are therefore much more transparent than SS designs. Victor Khomenko of Balanced Audio Technology has . . .
Solid State to Tubes and Back Again
How much/often does one listen to LIVE MUSIC, and HOW STRONG is their DESIRE for TRUTH? HOW MUCH VALUE do you place on REALISM? Everything is relative to your REFERENCE(OR . . .
Experience with high end fuses????
Perhaps someone was asleep during the early eighties, when SO MANY of us learned that measurements mean VERY LITTLE when it comes to the sound of a high end system. I was . . .
Aestheix Calypso owners,tube advise needed
2nd what Samhar said about buying NOS, and the mentions about low noise tubes. Kevin at Upscale is very stringent in his testing procedures, and his noise grading is spot-on. You. . .
What is the best SS used amp for $1k or less?
Sometimes you can find a Hafler TransNova 9505(255WPC/8ohms) in here for that. There's one listed right now, but the guy wants too much for it. The 9303 shares the same circuitry. . .
Cary SLP-05 - rectifier tube questions
The 5AR4 is the only Mullard tube I've ever appreciated. Long life and no negatives. Worth the
Extreme Midrange Bloom
How many hours do have on this unit? Most take 200 before sounding their best. Some interconnects can interact and cause anomalies as well. If this is a new unit- give it some . . .
Amp not enough power22
Tube amp, more low end
Since you like the sound of the amp you have; you might consider adding the Gallo TR-2 Subwoofer to the mix. You would essentially be bi-amping, with a 250 Watt amp, powering the . . .
Can tubes ever be as quiet Solid State
Presently there two 1940's TungSol JAN CTL/VT-231 round plates, two 1940's Sylvania 6SN7W tall bottles, and six Siemens CCa's(beside the eight Winged 'C' 6550's) residing in my . . .
Class A, AB
Most amplifiers are called "Class A/B" because the operate in Class A at very low power outputs, then switch to Class B operation at higher outputs. A 100 watt amp may . . .
Integrated Tube Amplifier for First Timer?
Look at these pieces, and read all the reviews: (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=36) They have some very worthwhile(user friendly) features too
Phase Linear 700 & 400 series II
"Rarely smoked?" The electronic repair industry nicknamed them, "FLAME LINEARS."
Replacing 6550s with KT 88s
If you are after a warmer, tubier presentation; you'll be happy. If you like your sound cleaner/less colored, stick with the Winged 'C' 6550. How old are your 6550's? The . . .
six year old 6sn7's, pushing my luck?
If you throw a frog in hot water; it will try to escape immediately. Raise the temp, a degree at a time, over an extended period; it will complacently remain, and boil to death(in. . .
12at7 with 12ax7 tubes
The 12AT7 is interchangable with the 12AX7, but has slightly more than 30% less gain. ergo: You will have to turn the volume a bit higher to get the same SPL from your system
Baby Steps back to Tubes.
So- He should have said something like, "a tube amp WILL GENERALLY SOUND louder than a SS state amp of the same wattage." Some things are difficult to quantify, but- . . .
If you were a tube preamplifier manufacturer
I would have to choose one of these, as they are the only current production, small signal tubes that come close to the performance of the cream of the NOS crop: (http://www.. . .
Room Correction Hardware options ?
No doubt about it: The TacT 2.2XP! The Rives is an excellent PASSIVE unit, that will bring down peaks, but can do nothing about nulls. The TacT allows one to place the actives . . .
Why does it sound better at lower volumes?
As Atmasphere and Nickword have stated: Sounds like your room is being over-driven. I treated my back wall with Auralex, and corners with LENYRDs to eliminate the same issue(with . . .
Is this clipping or just high SPL?
My listening room is also somewhat small. I found that, at anything approaching a realistic(live or monitor) listening level; the room was overloaded. Treating the back wall(. . .
Tube Rolling - No Change in Sound
Don't know who told you KenRad VT-231s would add anything to your sound. They are a very transparent tube, adding/taking nothing from the signal(as are the TungSol Round plates, . . .
Using a Pre-Out to Bi-amp20
Good beginner tube amp suggestions
If your tastes run to warm and lush: Tube whatever you get with NOS, British(ie: Mullard or Brimar) tubes. The PrimaLuna pieces are nice, easy to use(self-biasing), and Kevin(. . .
Maddening HUMMMM
Also a "ground loop" will cause hum. Buy an inexpensive gounding plug(adapter) and break off the ground terminal. Plug your power purifier into that(it will float the . . .
Tact Pre Amps 2.2XP
I've been using one for over a year now. I was a die-hard straight-wire-with-gain guy for 28 yrs until the 2.2X came along. I've also been bi-amping for 26 yrs. My last dividing. . .
Cary SLI-80 capacitor problem questions
A bad power supply filter cap would not cause one tube to flash or overload. A shorted coupling cap, or one that's leaking DC voltages, will. (http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/. . .
Tube rolling 6922 tubes looking for transparency
I've been using Siemens CCa's(from the late 50's-early 60's) for a number of years(six in my CDP, lately), because of their transparency, frequency extension, bass accuracy and . . .
Audio Research CA50 + tube rolling
If your output tubes are still strong: Try some Amperex 7308s, like these:(http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Amperex-7308_p_100.html), in the driver positions first. If that provides . . .
Synergy
Mapman's definition of the term is the accurate one. Many use the term in a semantically incorrect way. There's really no way to predict or quantify if the sound/presentation of . . .
Bad preamp choice?
Yes- The CJ will be an upgrade from the Yamaha, and should you not immediately appreciate it's sound: you'll have the option of rolling it's tubes to better suit your tastes(. . .
What tubes for ST-70
You WILL hear a difference by replacing the GZ34/5AR4 w/a Mullard 5AR4(unless there's already one in the unit). Any improvements in the power supply will be very audible. . . .
Random pop sounds in my system are scaring me
Try tapping the driver and output tubes with a pencil. Sometimes a bad internal connection will cause the noises you are describing. If that doesn't narrow it down for you and . . .
300b amps bettering the midrange of the Cary 300b
The output transformer's low turns ratio(8:1), it's quality and circuit simplicity of the Cary will always keep it in the lead sonically(WELL- someone is certain to outperform it . . .
Question about set amps and low sensitivity spkrs
I agree with both Mr N and mr T: You won't hurt the SET at all listening to your B&W's. You may even be surprised by the levels it can achieve(though I wouldn't get too ambitious. . .
Triode versus Ultralinear/Pentode
See if you can find one of these for sale: (http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/1200cary/) You won't do much tube tasting as far as the output tube(T-1610) 'cause there's . . .
High Quality Fuses in Amps
The threads are full of opinions. Many from those who have not tried the fuses, and won't. I have, and in my Cary monoblocks they were worth every penny
12AX7A and AT7 tubes
No small signal tube, that is currently manufactured(outside of EAT Cool Valves) can provide the sound stage/timbre/overall music reproduction of a strong, quality(ie: Mullard/. . .
Bad Hum Coming Through Amp, What Happened?
DITTO what Almarg said about a possible ground problem. Maybe a loose star ground, or a cold solder joint at a ground point. Definitely not output stage, because it varys with . . .
Studio/Performance Amps for High-End Systems?
Elevick/Tsvisser/Davemitchell have all made excellent points. I've worked on High-End and pro gear for years, and have yet to see the pro gear built with the quality of . . .
Are tube watts equal to solid state watts?
Those meters on the old school receivers were(with few exceptions) NOT peak reading meters. They only showed average power output. Peak outputs easily exceed 10X the average . . .
SET Amps and Maggies
Take a look at this page and you may get some ideas:(http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Amplifiers.html
A good 50-70 watts tube amplifier for $ 2000?
(http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=36) Check out the PrimaLuna Monoblocs(and their reviews) on this site. Kevin is a super guy to deal with too
Where for a tube-newb to start?
Here is a resource that, if you really want to understand what you are getting into, you should find helpful: (http://www.buildtubeamps.com/tubeampbooks.html
Active vs Passive Pre amps17
Hafler DH300 Monoblock forever?
Hafler made a bridging kit for the DH-200. You can find the manual here: ( http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/DH-202_PC-7_bridgeKitForDH-200.pdf ) Your amp probably has this . . .
dynaco st 70 what tubes to replace first
If the amp didn't come with a Mullard(Blackburn Plant) GZ34/5AR4 rectifier; get one(NOS). It will probably be the last one you'll ever have to buy for the unit. That and NOS 7199. . .
do fancy fuses help?
Replace just the Main power fuse first. That will answer your question. If you can't hear the differences in nuance at that point... Then again: It sounds like you were able to . . .
400W amp under $2000
The Hafler Transnova 9505 puts out 750W at 8ohms, in bridged mode, and is fully differential from input to output(unlike a lot of other amps). They are still supported by Rockford. . .
Straight wire and gain linestage?
I had a Placette Passive Linestage for a few years. The transparency is wonderful. No signature at all!! Can be had as rack mount or stand alone, with remote(power supply for . . .
Putting together first system... clueless.16
Which 6SN7's for Rogue 99 Pre
Sugarbrie mentioned the Sylvania 6SN7Ws: The two tall versions sound identical and are absolutely astounding in their musicality, sound stage and imaging. The shorter ones might . . .
How to lower noise floor through mods?
Replace the rectifier(s)(whether a bridge or individual diodes) with soft recovery IXYS FREDs or CREE SiC Schottkys:(http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/semiconductors.html), and. . .
Ultimate test of your system image
My son's 'Amused to Death' is an excellent copy, and both of our systems cast the images/info contained way beyond normal soundstage parameters. ie: The horse/wagon effect begins . . .
ARC VT-200 Cooling Fan Noisy, nit picking?
Two fans will lower the speed of each, but then you'll have the noise of two fans beating the air(no benefit). Place a 560 ohm, 10 watt power resistor in series with the fan, and . . .
Tube rolling my preamp with 6922EH
Of course: The some of the best 6922s(CCa, E188CC, 7308, E88CC by Telefunken, Siemens, Amperex, Valvo) DO have gold pins, but they(the gold pins)won't make any sonic improvement on. . .
High-current tube amps
The KR Enterprises VT-8000 MK might interest you:(http://www.enjoythemusic.com/krpano.htm) (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/channel/chhifi98/chhifi98analog.htm
Newbie Question: Why is turntable volume so low?
That turntable generally is equipped with the DL-A100 cartridge, modeled after their DL-103(.3mV output). As Minkwelder mentioned; Low Output MC cartridges require a phono . . .
amp clipping or low freq causing pumping speakers
The problems addressed by the site in the previous post are probably the issue, but- a filter such as that is a crutch that will cripple a high-end system(transparency/ambience/. . .
Tube Amp Noise with Klipsch Cornwall II
The horns that Klipsch used are brutally efficient/bright, and any noise upstream(like the preamp section of the integrated) will be brought out without mercy. Replace the small . . .
Jadis with Telefunken 12AX7/ECC83 tubes
The Teles and Siemens are known for their transparency, and faithfulness to the original signal. If you desire to retain the clarity in the top end/spacious sound stage, etc., but. . .
Newbie Troubleshooting Question
The capacitors in the unit are past the 20 year old mark by a very comfortable margin(going on 30). No doubt- Ripe for replacement. I'd start with the power supply caps. Were . . .
which tubes for which genre ?
I have to agree that SET amps will not satisfy you playing rock music. There are some with higher power outputs that MAY work with an 86db speaker, but- most tube amps output less. . .
Who Can I send my dynakit ST-70 to for a rebuild?
Another excellent option: ( http://curcioaudio.com/ ) Joe has been modding Dynaco gear for decades
regarging components that have a 20a AC IEC
Does the stock cord have a 15A, 125V plug(5-15P, two vertical prongs and ground) on it? If it does; the amp's cord is designed for a 15A wall socket and you will be fine with . . .
Anybody with some thoughts on Hafler amps
Much depends on the cartridges and mixer that you're using with those tables. Most DJ oriented pieces are not especially designed for fidelity. If the DH-110 sounds good with the. . .
first tube rolling: expert advice needed - take 2
Hello Karelfd- It certainly sounds like "tube rush" the way you describe it. The least little noise put out by a tube in your pre-amp will be magnified exponentially. . . .
Best Overall Value in a KT-88 tube
Second the suggestion of purchasing from Upscale Audio. Kevin can also guide you, as to which KT-88 will provide the presention you appreciate(ie: warmer or more transparent, etc. . .
Help - Adcom GFA-545 works in mono only14
Vibrating Woofer, old tubes?
If I'm not mistaken; that unit is 15 to 18 years old(at least). Probably time to have the dual mono power supply filter caps replaced
Uber quiet tubes for C2300 pre
Try some NOS Telefunken ECC83(smooth plates), 50's or 60's Siemens or Telefunken ECC803S(expensive) in the phono section,for the ultimate in accuracy and low noise. The ECC803S . . .
Dynaco ST-70 totally restored vs Dynaco ST-70 Kit
The Primaluna is made in china(cap omitted intentionally). That should answer your question
What amp do I need to power my Acoustat 1100
If you want to use SS; find an amp with MOSFET outputs. They will maintain stability at low impedance levels. One can practically arc weld with some MOSFET amps. I used modded . . .
Can a fuse affect sound quality in my Classe Amps
BY ALL MEANS: Find out why the fuses blew. The subject have been discussed/debated a couple times before. There are those that have not tried the high grade fuses, but feel they . . .
Placette linestage vs. Adcom 750 passive
The Placette is a simple resistor ladder, consisting of very closely matched Vishay Bulk Foil resistors, two total per channel, per attenuation level. The power supply for the . . .
Using a Digital Multimeter for the first time
You'll have to wait for the voltages to settle back down, if you are trying to measure your bias adjustments(regardless of how they are read). I use a Fluke digital and just push . . .
Best way to add remote volume control to tube pre.
The only signal degradation with a Placette will be via the extra interconnects/connections. I tried a Creek OBH-10 to see if my CDP had the output to drive my amps, prior to . . .
ARC Reference 3 preamp: tube character?
You could probably better be served/pleased(based on your description of what you like) by a unit that could be stuffed with some of the British tubes(IE: Mullard, Brimar or . . .
Old tube amp?
Go for the Dynaco ST-70, and you can convert to monoblocks later(if the fancy strikes you). Then again: You could start with Mark II, III or IVs to begin with. WHATEVER you do: . . .
Please suggest integrated for large space
YES- The Musical Fidelity A5 would be an excellent choice
Can a new system re-ignite my Audio Fire?
Go listen to a lot of live music, reinforced and non, whatever genre. Pick good venues. That will give you a reference
Cable recommendations for cary slp-98p & cary 120s
You already know that Kimber works well with your equipment. The signature stays the same, as one ascends up the Kimber line. You just get more and better, of everything good, . . .
Does biamping w/ SS + tubes work?
I've been actively bi-amping my systems(tubes/SS), since 1980. Was using a modded Dahlquist DQ-LP1 crossover MOST of that time. Now using a modded TacT RCS 2.2X. Always with . . .
Balanced Variable Attenuators
Placette is available, in a balanced configuration, though it doubles the cost. I owned the SE version. VERY transparent! (http://www.placetteaudio.com/index.htm) I'd still own . . .
Solid state preamp warm up time?
Leave ANY SS device on 24/7/365, unless you know you will be away for a few days, or there's a thunderstorm on it's way. A pure class A amp will draw some juice and throw some . . .
Cary Rocket 88's Cat Eyes
Do both of your Bias LEDs lite up? If not; your output tube bias is not properly adjusted(a possibilty, if the 1/2A, fast-blo B+ fuses are both good
Help me pick a power amp
These are readily available on ebay: (http://cgi.ebay.com/David-Hafler-Model-DH-220-stereo-power-amplifier-220_W0QQitemZ160392533002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=. . .
Can I use my passive preamp with tube amps?
Passive attenuators can be very transparent/faithful to your signal, regardless of amp topography. In addition to the above: Listening satisfaction will depend on the output . . .
Used tubes question
Borders on a musical epiphany, does it not? As Trelja noted: The built quality back then was much better than that exhibited in today's manufacturing. Try to locate either . . .
Can you lower gain requirements on tube amp?
Your only option, if you want to continue using the equipment mentioned, is to up the output voltage of your source(which you didn't mention). Do you find that some of your . . .
5AR4 rectifier tubes - Chinese or Russian?
Your rectifier tube will have a marked effect on the overall sound of your unit. By going cheap there, you'll be ripping yourself off for a lot of music. If you went with a pair . . .
Which NOS tubes on my ASL 1009 for more warmth?
The latest iteration Winged 'C' EL34's and some NOS 12AU7 Mullards should provide all the warmth you'll ever need. (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=44) (http://. . .
Tubes for VTL 7.5
Do you get to listen to live music, and prefer a realistic/transparent reproduction, or do you like a "warmer/tubier" sound? Good to know your tastes before making . . .
leave power on?
What Jax2 said X 4
Reliable Sources for 6SN7 Tubes
While you are shopping for 6SN7's: Don't miss the Sylvania CHS, VT-231, bottom getter tube from the 40's. It's extension(without grain), transparency, liquid mid-range, slam and . . .
Tubes at Best Buy. Yes, it's true.
(http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mcd908_37/mcd908_37_dfu_aen.pdf) There's the manual. (http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/digitalmusic/0,39029994,49295334,00.htm) there's a review. I . . .
Got the itch again "real bad" for tube mono blocks
I've been listening to a Pair of Cary SLM-100s for the last three years. Tubed with Tungsol VT-231(round, black plate)for phase splitters, Sylvania 6SN7Ws as drivers and Winged C . . .
How to improve power supply?
If your power supply does have regulators, replace them with Bellesons, which are much quieter(http://belleson.com/download/Superpower_datasheet.pdf). Replace the rectifiers, or . . .
Rectifier Tubes 5AR4 : New production vs NOS
The rectifier will have a profound impact on the sound of your amp. Mullard GZ34's, manufactured in the Blackburn plant, have a well earned reputation as the best sounding and . . .
Cleaning melted plastic from MC275 chrome surface
One of Goo Gone's primary purposes is paint(spills/over spray) removal. The OP mentioned wanting to retain the chassis' lettering. I'm guessing that lettering would be silk-. . .
overheating
Are you using any bass boost(Loudness, EQ, etc) while listening? That can overdrive an amp easily, and cause overheating
Coupling cap upgrade for Cary CAD-805C help
I recently installed four of these in my Cary monoblocks. A most excellent upgrade, worth every penny! AND- Yes; you can safely increase the voltage rating of the coupling cap(. . .
advice on pricing uncommon gear
Unless you want to give them away: Figure out your bottom Dollar and start an eBay auction at that price
would 50 feet speaker wires be harmful to amp?12
Prima luna dialogue 2 tube rolling
If the Mullards seem too warm to you; try Amperex. Keep in mind; the more transparent/accurate the tube, the more revealing your system will be of poor recordings, and/or any . . .
does amp draw alot of power when volume is zero
With a Class D amp; the output devices are turned off(no bias), until a signal is detected= high efficiency/low temps/low current draw at idle. Class A has full bias applied to . . .
Cap change advise for a Symphonies V2 preamp?
Hi South43- As with tube rolling; much depends on what flavor of sound you are after. If softer/warmer: you might try some paper in oil(like NOS Jensens), for more resolution/. . .
Underappreciated components.
YES- I've definitely learned to appreciate the power cords that came with my equipment. Without them, I'd never have known just HOW MUCH BETTER the ones I replaced them with . . .
Need suggestion on VTL TL-5.5 tubes
Here is a site that will guide you in the choices available, to reduce the gain in your preamp: (http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html) Whatever tubes you choose to try; be . . .
Cary rocket 88 vs dynaco st70
Output capacitors? What are those? I've owned both amps. Had no noise from either, at all. Over the years I had upgraded the coupling caps, multi-section cap(which could be . . .
Audio Research LS-7 LS7 upgrades suggestions
The easiest path is to install some NOS CCa's or, at least 7308/E188CC tubes. Depending on your taste in presentation, you might try Siemens/Telefunken(very transparent and . . .
Groove Tubes EL34LS vs SED
If the output tubes can't be brought up to their proper bias setting; they're shot and you've lost your dynamics. Replace them! If you were happy with the Siemens when new(. . .
Which tubes to roll
For whatever power tubes you decide on: Upscale Audio's quality and customer service are hard to beat. Check out Kevin's procedures and offerings: (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/. . .
Tung-Sol Reissue 6SN7 vs EH 6SN7 - Differences
Concerning the Sylvania 6SN7W: Of the two types(short/Tall, with either metal or plastic base) The tall have exquisite sound stage, imaging, dynamics in all octaves and . . .
What to do?
Same issue here. Had to sell Acoustat Model III's, after a costly divorce and downsize to a much smaller room. I was actively bi-amping the panels with a pair of transmission . . .
Intractable Problem
You said that the bad channel is playing at 5% the volume of the other. If you worded that correctly; there's a 95% reduction in volume, which could indicate a blown rail fuse. . .
Rectifier Tube Clarification/Help W/ Dared 2000a
From personal experience(and many agree): The Mullard/Blackburn GZ34 provides some of the best sound and longevity, of any NOS rectifier
BAT VK-60..New to tubes...Help???
Raytheon, RCA and National Union VT-231 tubes(bottom gettered, from the 40's), will retain whatever sound staging, imaging, dynamics(etc) your recordings possess, but with just a . . .
Heeeelp New used BAT Vxi3 - Hisssssssss
Preamp and Phono tubes, because of the gains involved, should always be tested/certified, "Low Noise", "Preamp", "Platinum Grade", etc. Hiss(tube . . .
behringer reference?
People call Behringer equipment, "cheap" and/or "cheaply built" because it is. Why do you suppose the front panel IS, "a bit cheap and plasticy"? In . . .
I need some amplifier help
Since both amps are rated 200wpc(though the II may have a slightly higher sensitivity); you should be able to get away with it by using the II as the bottom end amp. Having more . . .
What do you gain from bi-amping Magnepan 1.6s or
Some info on the subject: (http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
Ideas for used SS amp
2nd the Hafler suggestion. ie:(http://cgi.ebay.com/HAFLER-9300-AMPLIFIER-AMP-1200-WATT-HOME-THEATER-MOVIE_W0QQitemZ230373733135QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=. . .
Difference between KT88 EAT and NOS in Jadis
EAT tubes are manufactured with great care and expertise, comparable to that expended on the better tubes from "the good old days"(NOS GE, Genelex, GEC/Mullard, etc). . . .
Bi-amp befuddlement
If you are actually, "bi-amping" and you turn the amp off that's powering your bass drivers: guess what? All that you will hear is the integrated, powering the mids/. . .
Questions about RCA 5751tubes
"Better" is purely subjective, and system dependent. The RCA w/clips may very well sound strident/overly bright in a system that already has that tendency. It does . . .
Where to get replacement Rubber Feet?
Your local Ace Hardware store
6sn7 and 5u4 tubes
A good place to start would be to find a NOS pair of Sylvania or Ken-Rad VT-231 bottom getters from the 40's. That's IF you enjoy a very accurate and transparent presentation. . . .
Audio Research 230/240 volts
You should be fine with that piece. Even if the transformers weren't the same, the lower voltage unit would only operate at a slightly elevated temperature as there is only about . . .
Anyone try McCormack DNA + Placette Passive?
I've used the Placette Passive Linestage with great success also. One caveat: Your source HAS to have adequate output to drive your amp without any further gain. Some of my . . .
Tube preamp top clearance--McIntosh or in general
If you remove the top/any covers(not the bottom plate) from the pre-amp: it'll stay cooler. I've always done that with tubed gear. Never have had a problem with tube longevity, . . .
Best 6922 tubes for BAT VK300x ???
The "best" are the Siemens CCa's. Their E188CC/7308's are no slouches either. Of course- Telefunkens are way up there on the list also. We're talking transparency, . . .
Bi-amping with 2 2ch amps
This article has info on vertical and active bi-amping: (http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize031998.htm
When to recap?
The McIntosh tech's statement was a ploy, to get you to bring the amp to his facility. Electrolytic capacitor manufacturers, in their data sheets, will specify an expected . . .
Tact 2.0S or Tact 2.2XP
Hello Southwind- I spoke with Boz, not long ago. Some of the components he used, in the build of the 2.0, are no longer available. If you did buy one, support might be iffy, and. . .
Cary SLP-05 Tube Rolling
Which brand 6F8G was the, "best"(in your opinion)? The choices(and flavors) are as varied as the 6SN7s
What is the best 6SN7 driver tube?
A wealth of info here: (http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/6sn7_vt.htm). I found their results very accurate, having tried the top 10 favorites of the survey in my Cary monoblocks. . . .
Amp circulation question
You don't have a problem, at those temps. Adding fans, on location, will add noise. Enjoy your music
Carver VS Adcom
Second Roxy's suggestion
How Important is Dynamic Headroom?10
Best nos 6sn7g for my Atmasphere mp1.
The, "best" will depend on your tastes in presentation. For me, that's been the 40's Tung-Sol round plates, of the construction shown in this guy's pics: (http://cgi.. . .
Which 6sn7 tubes for Rogue Magnum 99
Here's a list of what are considered the best of the 6SN7 family, and what you can expect, with regards their presentation: (http://www.tubeseller.com/ratings.php
Antique Sound Lab Hurricane MK1 vs MK2
The Hurricanes were, at one point(around 2003), "updated" by replacing the(eight per channel) .22uF/400V MIT(Reliable) MultiCaps with a paper in oil capacitor made by . . .
Difference between Amperex 6922 pinched waist tube
Here is a page that lists some of the differences in sound, between most of the Amperex 6DJ8 variants: (http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6dj8sound.html) As mentioned by another . . .
Elusive Tube-Amp Hum
As Mr L mentioned; the problem could be a cold solder joint on a ground connection, or a loose ground terminal on one of the RCA jacks. That the problem didn't occur at the shop, . . .
NOS 12AU7s with Ayon amps
It depends. If you like a warmer, sweeter sound; go with something from Britain(Mullard/Brimar). If more detail and transparency is your cup of tea; something from Germany(. . .
Tubes for ARC VT100
Danieljoseph- I know that the Upscale site states that they are no longer retubing the VT-100's(ie: on the SED 6550 and KT88 pages), BUT- has Kevin actually told you that he won't. . .
amplifier needs
Just be certain that the speakers you're using are at least a nominal 8 ohms each. Hooking two per channel will lower the impedance the receiver sees to 4 ohms, and you don't want. . .
Someone can better BAT? Or not?
WHATTA CROCK
which tube amp to try???
I've been using a pair of Cary SLM-100's for a few years now. Out of the gate, they were a very transparent pair, tubed with Sylvania and Winged 'C's. They're rock solid on their. . .
Cary Audio...What do you have ?
A pair of SLM-100s, NOS 40's TungSol JAN CTL/6SN7GT, round plate(drivers), NOS 40's Sylvania JAN CHS/6SN7W, tall bottle(phase splitters), Winged 'C' 6550s(from Kevin- St Petersburg. . .
Cary SLI-80 Signature and EL34s
Akanrg- Here's the scoop on Winged 'C' tubes: (http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=01_TUBES&. . .
Question on NOS tubes bias doubt
The Ken-Rads are some of the best VT-231's out there, but like anything else: They're not always perfect. You bought a pair of unmatched tubes. A slight mismatch shouldn't be . . .
Damsel in Distress with Jadis DPL
As long as everything is still in balance between your channels, the bad tube didn't take anything with it. New production tubes go bad just as often as NOS tubes, and some . . .
BAT VK75 vs. BAT VK75SE - which is more euphonic?
You mentioned that you like a "tubey" sound. By purchasing the SE version you will be restricted to the sound of the 6H30(6H30P, 6H30P-DR/EV/EB) tube, which I've never . . .
KT88 Opinions
I'd been using Phillips 6550's in my Cary SLM-100's for a few years and thought they were getting a little weak. The prices of NOS anything(let alone matched quads/octets of . . .
Tact Audio Great Service
I've owned my TacT RCS 2.2Xaaa for over four years. My experience with Boz has been an excellent one as well. When I first got the unit, I had a lot of questions and he was very . . .
Anyone rolled tubes in an ARC Reference 3 preamp?
Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but you CAN "roll" the vanilla 6H30's for these: (http://thetubestore.com/russian6h30pdr.html) There are a couple other versions, but . . .
Can a 5z4 tube be a metal bottle?
I tried to respond yesterday, but my post didn't make it. YES- the 5Z4/CV1864 was manufactured with a metal envelope as well as glass. The CV1863 and CV2748/CZ30 were both . . .
Tubes for my Mac's 275....NOS or just used?
I've purchased the majority of my NOS tubes on eBay, or from eBay contacts over the last 5 years. All the purchases(probably 40+) were excellent, but for one(if you e-mail me, I'. . .
"break-in" period? . . . how to
The CD, 'Irrational But Efficacious' by Ayre Acoustics contains a number of useful tracks, one being uncorrelated, mono, brown noise. This simulates the typical spectrum of music . . .
Audio Research REF2 MK 1 Vs. MK 2
The REF 2 MK II has 6) 6H30's, 1) 6L6, and 1) 5AR4. The only reason for a "tubey" sounding REF 2 MK I is "tubey"(microphonic) tubes. If the tubes are rolled. . .
Audio Research d79 blows plate fuse
Hopefully; it's simply a tube. Another possibility is a leaky or shorted coupling capacitor(especially based on the age of the amp). If so; it will either be the 2uF or .22uF(. . .
Pope Holland Tubes for Cary SLP98P
Some excellent notes of the 6SN7 family of tubes(and their presentations), most of which I can verify from personal experience, having tried all the top contenders: (http://home.. . .
Audio Magic Fuse Leak Problem???
Damping
Abbingdon Music Research gold fuses ???
Synergistic Research offers a 30 day, money back, satisfaction guarantee, on their new fuses. It seems it would be well worth the effort to compare them with whatever else one . . .
Do you know how to?
Dental pick, or drill a small hole and run a sheet metal screw into it. Grab the screw with your pliers
Passive and active biamp together
Eliminating the passive crossovers is as simple as wiring the drivers directly to their respective input terminals. Leaving them(X-overs) in place, wired, and actively biamping(if. . .
fire spark in 5AR4 rectifier tube for PrimaLuna Pr
Just a little FYI; The best sounding, most reliable and longest lasting rectifiers out there, are the Blackburn Plant, Mullard tubes(the earlier the production-the better). . . .
DAM Broken tube?
Have it tested for shorts, before installing and powering up. Generally; there will be no problem. I would hate to use my power amp as a tester though. A shorted tube could get . . .
Opinions on TacT RCS Room Correction System
I've been using a TacT RCS 2.2Xaaa for the past six years. My present listening room(a result of an expensive divorce) is an acoustic nightmare. My systems have been actively bi-. . .
Tube Break-In sound character change
Though this article regards the actual 300B; you'll probably find the info on burn-in helpful: (http://www.stereophile.com/features/229/index2.html
Amplifer Wattage Question
Here are a couple a simple-to-built LED audio output meter schematics. Easily fast enough to register peaks. They're limited to 10 power levels, and won't give you fine . . .
Looking For A Remote Controlled Phase Inverter
You'd lose more resolution by inserting contacts and another pair of interconnects, than you are listening to the percentage of recordings you own that were recorded out of phase. . .
Putting vintage tubes in the power supply of pre
Some of the greatest sonic benefits in this hobby are achieved via power supply mods. ie: (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1238465914&read&keyw&zzmullard+5ar4) That. . .
New Production EL34 / 6CA7
Another vote for the =C=(SED St Petersberg plant) that Upscale Audio carrys (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/SED-Winged-C-EL-34_p_63.html). They sounded so nice in my old ST-70(. . .
Improving your BAT 150SE
This will give you an idea of the V-Cap pricing structure: (http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/CapacitorsFilm.html) I've got soft-recovery FREDs in my mono tube amps, SS woofer. . .
How do you break in a preamp
You can accomplish the burn-in process either way. I'm too impatient, and don't like to sit through the transformations that take place, to listen for 200 hrs while components . . .
The future of Tubes
Low demand is a factor(so many now are willing to settle for the mediocre), but the desire/motivation to produce a quality product is another. Anything of quality is going to cost. . .
rolling output tubes
Vett93: YES- Sometimes a manual will include a range, rather than one specific setting for your bias adjustment(ie: Cary SLM-100= 150 to 175 mA). The upper limits of that range . . .
new experience with my passive preamp
The reason the Placette Passive is hard to "characterize" is that It has no "character." That's the beauty of the piece: It's transparency(added and . . .
Threshold and Magnepan
Mr J- Keep in mind that the MMG rolls off quickly below 80hz. If you have a hunger for the bottom octaves while listening to "all types of music": You may have to . . .
While listening to my system my Rhea blew up
The smoke and pop sound like a capacitor
Any opinions on retubeing W/winged c or mullard re
Recently purchased an octet of Winged"C" 6550s(the latest iteration)to replace the Phillips ECGs in my modded Cary SLM-100s. Got them from Upscale Audio after much . . .
Help With Tube Suggestions for BAT VK-55se, please
Do you prefer a warm/sugary/tubey sound, or a cleaner/more accurate/detailed(not talking bright/edgy/sibilant) presentation? I can offer suggestions for either
What does a Hexfred do?
Amps using Silicon diodes can sound harsh and brittle because the diodes are slower in response than a tube rectifier(they're so nice). By replacing the diodes with FREDs or . . .
Can US 220v be used to power foreign 220v pieces?
As long as the unit does not have a synchronous AC motor, that locks onto frequency, for it's speed control(ie: some turntables, tapedecks, CD players
Best amp for 6 ohms speakers
In that price range, a used Hafler is probably the best sounding bet. Any of them can drive a 2 ohm load, all day long, at rated power. Having the power supply caps replaced, . . .
Power amp + CDP: is that enough?
It depends on the max output voltage of the CDP and the sensitivity/available power of the amp. If the CDP can drive the amp to satisfying output level; you'll be fine, and will . . .
Dynaco MK III Monobloc
Their transformers(the foundation of a tube amp) are very good. The sound can vary from tubey/euphonic, to very clean and extended, depending on the owner's choice of tubes, caps. . .
Conrad Johnson PV11 Noise Issues
Yes- retube! Be certain that whatever tubes you buy are certified/graded as, "preamp/phono/low noise", "gold" or "Platinum" by a reputable and . . .
tact reliability
I've owned a Tact RCS 2.2X for the past 4 years. Mine has a modded power supply, is run hard every day(high volume levels that tax it's output voltages), and has proven quite . . .
Receiver with no phono input: Solutions?
Make it easy on yourself! Here are some low-cost, decent sounding options: (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=THTD170) (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?. . .
Tube whistling8
Digital sound is fine, but analog rolled off Why?
You may also want to play with the VTA adjustment of your arm, even if it requires obtaining Rega's spacers to do so. The effects that you describe can be caused by VTA . . .
Bi-Amp Basics - NHT 29s
Follow Markruss' advice of using an active crossover to bi-amp. Power amps w/o active filtering MUST have matched gain AND sensitivity to provide an accurate frequency response . . .
Problem when volume turn up
Turn it up a "1/4" from what level? You say it works fine at "moderate volume". I'd have to agree to the amp shutting down via a protection circuit. If what . . .
A balanced passive preamp?
The Placette Passive Linestage(or just the remote volume control) are both available in a true balanced configuration. (http://www.placetteaudio.com
6922 Recommendation for my BAT VK-3iX Preamp
With the Siemens CCa's(pre 1969 ONLY- the later CCa was extremely strident), you will hear the music, not the system. Transparent, extended in both directions(without bloat of . . .
popping sound with new 6922 tube
I agree with the above statements, but would add one note: If you do buy a tube tester- get one that checks the tube at full operational voltage. Some anomalies(IE: anode to grid . . .
amp recommendation for subwoofer
I'm using a Hafler TransNova 9505, which provides a very fast and accurate bass with my transmission-line woofers(actively bi-amped). If you are looking for a lower-budget/high-. . .
Very budget bass only amp with gain control?
A pro amp w/cooling fan just may drive you up the wall with it's noise. I'm using a Hafler TransNova 9505 which is excellent for bottom, but this looks like it might be just the . . .
Help me make sense of this.
Your Quad is going on thirty years old. In it's day, it was a very good amp. Nowdays, it will have a hard time sounding as "musical" in comparison a lot of "mid-fi. . .
Advice sought (Garrard Zero 100)
You'll have to decide what cartridge will work well(regarding resonance) with the tonarm's effective mass(hi/med/low compliance), whether it will be MM or MC. If it's MC: what MC . . .
Tube rectification
If the rectifier circuit does not have a feature to slow the high voltage from coming up to full: The life of your tubes will be severely shortened. A tubed rectifier circuit . . .
Recommendation for SS amp for biamping
Hafler built a number of pro TransNova amps, many that provide gain controls for both channels(necessary for matching with your mains). Any of them would provide you with the . . .
a strange noise now coming from my tube amp
You can also(sometimes) locate a noisy tube by lightly tapping those in the effected channel with a pencil's eraser
"Y" Connector: Can Split A Signal How Many Times?
Every time you split the signal; you split the voltage. How much voltage each amp gets depends on the impedances the signals, "sees." Every added connection/. . .
Can I swap a Stepped Attenuator for a Potentiomer?
TKD makes a very good stepped attenuator, with discrete resistors for each position. I've also used a lot of Alps and Noble controls in projects(less salty), but they are getting . . .
Any difference between tubes.
Many musicians search for NOS tubes to either warm up or put an edge on their amps's sound(tone control-same as, "audiophiles") ie: (http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.. . .
Are All Mullards Created Equal?
The Blackburn Plant 5AR4/GZ34/CV1377(especially 1958-62, F31 series) = #1(ie: http://cgi.ebay.com/LOOK-NOS-NIB-f31-Fat-Base-Mullard-GZ34-5AR4-/360331594538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&. . .
how much tubes influence on the sound ???
Shalom Bolero32: The small signal tubes(preamp, phase splitter and driver tubes) and your rectifier will make a MAJOR DIFFERENCE in the sound, imaging and sound staging of your . . .
Hi-Fi Tunig Fuses & Parasound A21
Replace the AC Main fuse first, and if you appreciate the differences that makes(a VERY likely probability); replace the rail fuses as well. Happy listening! BTW- NONE of my HI-. . .
Best Internal Hook Up wire
(http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf) on page 2; for the Vampire wire that you want. Michael has a minimum order of $25.00, but you're certain to find something else in his . . .
HELP: how to eliminate speaker HUM?
The breaker for the outlet that the sub is plugged into may be on the other phase/rail in your main circuit breaker box, or the outlet could be wired out of code. Either of those . . .
Quicksilver and 6SN7 pre
If you want open/detailed sound(without glare) with 6SN7's: Try a NOS pair of 40's TungSol JAN CTL/VT-231/6SN7GT, bottom gettered, round plates(not the mouse eared ones) or 40's . . .
Which tweak for new amp: PC or footers?
Hi-Fi Tuning fuses or a better PC(PC first). The Vibrapods will help, but won't provide nearly as much improvement(unless you've REALLY got some resonance issues) as power supply . . .
SET owners, need help with Rectifier tube
Third on calling Kevin at upscale, and I also agree on the Mullard rectifier(though Kevin has none listed for your amps at the moment). I've found them to affect the most . . .
Dynaco ST-70 and 6ohm speakers
Try them on both taps and see which sounds the most like music to you. That's what I did when I owned my modded ST-70 and Maggies(nominal 6ohm). I chose the 4ohm lead, and then . . .
What happened to my SET amp?
If it was smoking, a fuse will NOT fix it. A shorted tube can take out a resistor, etc and you have at least done that. The smoke could also indicate an expired capacitor or(. . .
Help preamp problem: overload?
If that Sibelius CD is not overly compressed, and actually exhibiting the dynamic range that the medium is capable of: When your pre's volume knob is turned to the level you . . .
Mundorf silver in oil cap burn in?
A faster/less painful way to burn them in: Use either a tuner, or CD player on repeat(something with heavy bass drive on either). Turn on only the source and pre-amp and let them . . .
40 watt amp with 8 ohm speakers
If they are they CAM/PRO-32: the efficiency is 90db/1w/1m and 6 ohms nominal. That means your SS NAD(which has a lot of reserve in the power supply anyway) will output slightly . . .
5U4 tubes
YES- It's a rectifier
Help. Thor owner messes up
There is some doubt as to whether they are still in business. Open the power supply up and check for a blown fuse. Many designs have internal fuses(not certain about yours). Be . . .
Wyetech Opal Tube Rolling
This is a good site to visit for opinions on the 6SN7 family: (http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6sn7sound.html) I'm using the TungSol 6SN7GT, round plate, bottom getter, 1940's, . . .
replace binding posts on Monarchy SM-70
Parts Connexion has some nice WBT's on sale at 50% off: (http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_wbt_sale.html) Not exactly cheap, but- less than an arm & a leg
upgraded fuse holder
The type of spring clip, PCB mount fuse holders you need; seem to be nonexistent in silver or gold plate. It would be nice if the metals of which they are comprised, were better . . .
Power up my Cary tube integrated?
If you live in a cold climate, and the unit is not stored in a heated facility: let it reach room temps first. Your tubes will love you for it
Hafler 9505 power amps
The Hafler 9505(http://www.hafler.com/products/hafler_products_details.asp?productID=3276&viewId=2) IS the Trans-Nova, and yes- they all have the DIAMOND driver stage and DIABLO . . .
New tubes biasing problems
Put the original power tubes back in and see if they will bias properly(if you haven't already used the amp with them). If it turns out to be the new tube; YES- the provider . . .
How two 6550 tubes compare
For quite a few years, I had no problems affording NOS power tubes, from the 50's and 60's. I had been using eight Phillips ECG 6550s in my current Cary amps. About 4 years ago, . . .
matched quads, one dead, then what?
One of the reasons I purchase my output tubes(matched octets) from Upscale Audio, is the fact that they record all the measurements on the boxes. That would make it a piece of . . .
tubes and moisture
Corrosion in your voice coil gaps, tube sockets and potentiometers, and deterioration of foam speaker surrounds, would probably be the most worrisome effects of high humidity. . . .
pre amp tubes and gain
As you mentioned; tuning, tweaking and lowering the distortion levels in your system can also lead to enjoying more realistic(louder) SPLs
Best choices for hookup wire?
See page 2 of this catalog:(http://www.percyaudio.com/Catalog.pdf), for a variety. You didn't specify a gauge, but one of the Cardas chassis wires would probably yield the . . .
Cary SLI-80 Signature - Tube Recommendation
here is a good resource for data on 6SN7's, and their charcteristics: (http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6sn7sound.html) If you desire clean, accurate sound(no added warmth): find a. . .
kt88 vs. 6550 noobie question
Any time power tubes are changed in an amp(providing it is not auto-biasing, as mentioned): The amp/tubes must be re-biased, then re-checked in a couple days. Give the amp(s) at . . .
SE 845 Triode versus KT88 Triode-Connected?
Any tube amp's sound depends on a plethora of factors like transformer quality, capacitor construction(polypropylene/polystyrene/Teflon/tin, aluminum or silver foil/ paper in oil/. . .
STANDBY on tube amps - what's your practice
It's very important to wait until your tubes' heaters warm up their cathodes, and create an electron cloud around them(in "standby") before applying plate voltage(B+, or . . .
Safe to replace fast blow fuse with slow?
Exactly as Herman stated! I've had correctly rated replacement Radio Crap fuses blow when there was nothing wrong too. Find some Buss or Littelfuse fuses at a real electronics . . .
Power on tube amp without tubes?
The practice of powering amps up to check voltages before installing tubes has always been the rule(after the initial build), and that wouldn't do any damage to the equipment. . . .
Gain versus volume
If I understand your question correctly: The "volume" knob on your preamp IS a "gain" control. Hence- There is no actual difference since the are both really . . .
Low Noise Tube Suggestions
The Telefunken ECC801S and Siemens ECC81 tubes were built and specially selected(low noise) for the German Telephone Service. Most 6201 tubes are also built with extra mica and . . .
mono amps one weaker than the other ????
Switch the tubes between the amps, and see if the problem follows. If it does(assuming you have the Conquests): switch the pair of 6SN7s, and see if it follows again. If not try . . .
Power Conditioning, Torus, Audience or David Gray?
By all means: run the dedicated line(heaviest possible gauge) to your listening room. The Richard Grey products are actual power purifiers and not fancy power strips which can and. . .
Auto-calibration
If you don't trust your ears to get an accurate SPL calibration: You can pick up an inexpensive, hand-held SPL meter at any electronics store, or (ugh) Radio Shack. Simply hold it. . .
Need quick answer- BAT VK3iX vs. BAT VK3ixSE
With the iX version- You will have the ability to try a wide variety of 6922's, while the SE will restrict you to Two choices, the 6H30 or 6H30pi. I've got a VK-D5 Cd player and . . .
Upgrade path...Need suggestions
Look at this stuff, and read the reviews: (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=96) There are bound to be some on this site used at some point. Any effort you put . . .
Getting back to members on passive vs active lines
The output impedence of your CD player will vary with frequency. IE: My BAT VK-D5's output impedence measures between 880 to 910 in the middle and high freqs, but goes to 8475ohms. . .
Advice on bias range setting
The higher setting will yield a more dynamic sound. VERY slightly harder on tube life. I run my Cary monoblocks in the middle of their recommended range of 150 to 175mA(about 163. . .
Is an Apt preamp a good preamp for my setup.
The Holman pre was a ahead of it's time, regarding presentation(for a SS design). If you can get it for less than $200; this is a good place to get it updated: (http://www.. . .
Hafler DH500 vs Newer Integrated Amp/Class D?
Before you make any comparisons: Your DH-500 is over 25 years old. Replacing the electrolytic power supply filter caps and the two electrolytic input(C1)caps(here with . . .
using to amps?
As long as the preamp is designed to supply signal to both of the outputs, at the same time; Yes
schematically speaking
There are numerous sites, such as these: (http://www.stereomanuals.com/) (http://www.audio-circuit.dk/Schematics.htm), that offer schematics and service manuals online. Yes- Caps . . .
what to do............
Keep in mind that all of your speaker system drivers are brand new, and they need time to loosen up(break in). All of the suspensions are tight right now, and it takes more power . . .
NOS vs New Production Tube Sanity Check
Mullards(or any other Brit tube) will generally add warmth(too much coloration, IMO) to any system. BUT- many people like that sound, as can be witnessed by their popularity. No . . .
Problem with Tube?
Sometimes tubes will develop a bad internal connection that improves as the tube heats up. I've had some that would make that noise unitl I tapped them with a pencil. They never . . .
Tubes: Which is best?
An excellent place to purchase output tubes, should you decide to go with the Gold Lions: (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/product.asp?itemid=70&catid=85) You do not HAVE to replace . . .
Best 6922 for pre
If you enjoy a very linear, extended freq. response(without glare or bloat), liquid mids(no coloration) and wide dynamics: The pre-1968 Siemens CCa is the tube for you. The ones . . .
Input voltage and your poweramp
"Normal" at the Mains should be 125 to 130V average. You could have some voltage drop at your listening room outlets, depending on what else might be running off the . . .
VTL Tiny Triode Bias Question
Those were built by Manley and branded VTL(actually both companies belonged to the Manley family, father and son). Here's the manual for the Manley EL-84 Monoblock version(the . . .
Subwoofer Power Amplifier Recommendations
I USED to think one needed tons of power to reproduce the bass in music too. Then it dawned on me that that vast majority of the music(percentage wise) is above 150hz. I'd say . . .
Tube Amp Help/Problem
At what position is your control during normal listening/loudest volume? If this noise is present at normal volume control levels: As Newbee stated, you may be using noisy tubes . . .
Studio Signal Flow advice 01
I'm using a custom 48 channel John Oram BEQ-PRO(over $30K, can send pics) and wouldn't think of feeding my audio through it. Regardless of how good your mixer might be, the more . . .
Power for speakers, too little will damage a speak
If the volume you are attaining with the combo is satisfying, and you're not hearing any high freq. distortion(clipping): You are not going to hurt your speakers. Clipping burns . . .
Upgrading Odyssey audio Khartago
Why not talk to Odyssey and ask about having the Khartago upgraded? If yours wasn't hot-rodded when originally built; I know they can double the capacitance in the power supply. . .
Vintage Bogen Mono Blocks D070's-
Interesting thoughts Frank. I don't recall ever hearing a Bogen amp, hooked up to any kind of High-End source(s) or speakers. I can't help but wonder; how many others have. . . .
Hafler 220a
That's correct Mofi- K for kit and A for assembled. I was the Hafler dealer in Winter Park, Florida, when they first got rolling. My customers always had me do the assembly, with. . .
Tubes in VTL SuperDeluxe Preamp?
You could call VTL at (909)627-5944, or e-mail(mail@vtl.com),and ask about a manual
Replacement caps for Audio Note M1
Coupling caps exert a MAJOR influence on the presentation of an amplifier. The equation is simple; cheap caps=lost music. Nature(as in a musical signal) abhors a capacitor, and . . .
2 sextets of KT88s or a matched dozen for Defy7 ?
Upscale Audio will match as large a set of tubes as you require: (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/rare/tpm.htm) Their screening, burning, and matching procedures are second to none. . . .
Anyone Tried Solen Film & Foil Teflon Capacitors?
Steve- Try replacing your bridge rectifier, with a FRED rectifier block from IXYS. Low cost and very fast/soft(low noise) recovery. It's ALMOST as good as having a tube . . .
retubing and would like to hear input from others
In most ANY amplifier, upgrading the rectifier will provide a most definite improvement in sound. The power supply is providing the voltage/current to your speakers, as modulated(. . .
Best Alternatives to Black Gate Caps
Parts Connexion still lists a 3.3uF, 50V PK Black Gate on their site(click on Black Gate, bottom of page). (http://www.partsconnexion.com/t/catalog/CapacitorsElectrolytic.html) I . . .
best output tubes for jolida 502b
I've always used NOS tubes, but when I wanted to replace the eight matched 6550s in my Cary mono-blocks, I almost went apoplectic! The prices have gone nuts on matched quads/. . .
Need info on Beveridge RM-2 power supply please
Rodger Modjeski designed the amplifier (RM-1) for the original Beveridge speakers:(Roger@ramlabs-musicreference.com) Rick Beveridge , the son of Harold Beveridge, has started . . .
"Bi-amping" an integrated without another amp?
YES: That would simply be the same as bi-wiring
Question has been asked before but need more info
Because the signal from your tubed pre-amp has to travel through quite a few solid state devices in your SS amp, on it's way to your speakers. A typical tubed amp has far less . . .
Bad tube?
Hopefully you can perfrom the test suggested by Mr M, and the problem will simply be a noisy tube. If it were a grounding issue, the sound would be a hum rather than a hiss. For . . .
geniuses help- pre into pre--gonna blow up?4
How to break in pre-amps ?
Your pre-amp absolutely WILL burn-in without your power amp turned on. It does need to be connected to the amp though. Of course- You need an active source(ie: your iPod
What are best tubes for Jolida 302
Here is an interesting article about your piece, If you haven't already read it:(http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/equipment/1106/jolida_jd102b.htm) There are a wide variety . . .
Today was like Christmas...found Hafler DH 500
If you can stand the sound of the cooling fan: the bottom is very testicular, they exhibit the usual MOS-FET "mist" which is much better than the bi-polar bite(glare), . . .
Comparing Integrateds by Primaluna and Cary
Dennis Had's second string components would be a much fairer comparison for the PrimaLuna line(they are built in china as well): (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=. . .
Calling all passive bi-ampers
That's exactly how the high-pass section of a Dahlquist DQ-LP1 Passive/Active x-over functions, though it may be necessary to add a resistor in parallel for proper alignment. Your. . .
Unfamiliar tubes for a preamp
The EC88 is a European designation for the 6DJ8/6922/E188CC/7308 family, and is a dual triode. The Holy Grail of the family being the Siemens CCa. The WY4P is a chinese voltage . . .
KT88s for Audio Research VS55
I'd been using NOS Phillips ECG's in my Cary SLM-100's for a long time, and couldn't bare the thought of changing to new production anything. That was until I found out what the . . .
New Tube Owner
Sometimes a tube may have an internal short or bad connection. A cold solder joint to the tube socket could cause distortion/noise. Any of those problems could potentially be . . .
Is there better pre-amp for "bi-amp"ing ?
(http://www.tactlab.com/Products/22MINI/index.html) Check out this unit. I am presently using the big brother RCS 2.2X and have been very well pleased by it's lack of any . . .
I like Crack
PCX is having a sale on these Siemens tubes(http://www.partsconnexion.com/71480.html), if you are into a very clean sound(no added warmth). They've got a variety of other NOS . . .
Crossover for active bi-amp mode ML/JBL system
This is an inexpensive, and VERY transparent, way to actively bi-amp a system(with the right caps/resistors in it's passive high pass filter):(http://www.allegrosound.com/. . .
longest feasible rca run
A lot depends on the voltage/drive capability of the equipment at the source, and the sensitivity(output vs voltage in) of the driven end. Then there is the issue of noise sources. . .
Is this what a good preamp does?
Mr S is correct. The more transparent a component, the less it masks the negatives, contained in the source material, or whatever is upstream. Inferior components tend to impose . . .
What SPL is music typically recorded at?
Some good info here: (http://www.digido.com/honor-roll.html) and here: (http://www.digido.com/level-practices-part-2-includes-the-k-system.html) There's a plethora of variables, . . .
Biamping Dahlquist subwoofer
You should have set the NORMAL/BRIDGED mode switch to, "BRIDGED." See pages 3 & 4 of the operations manual(http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/pdf/P7000_amp_man.pdf) . . .
Bi amping using ss amp and tube amp..
As Ng mentions; Not an even match, and why not benefit from letting the tube amp carry the mids? That's where tube equipment provides the greatest sonic improvement. Unless you . . .
Did I lose a tube?
Yes, it DOES! Swap all the tubes(channel to channel) and see if the, "thinness" changes channels too. If so- swap one pair at a time, and that will indicate which one . . .
Pathos In Power - Tubes????
The first owner may have had a source device that had a higher voltage output than he appreciated. The 12AU7 would have exhibited a slightly lower gain than the 12AX7. He may . . .
Help: Tube roll for Cary 120S
Here's Upscale Audio's process for tube testing, burning and matching. Kevin even has a 90 day warranty on his tubes. The customer service is hard to beat, and should a tube fail. . .
Need to repair Hafler 9505 - Any suggestions?
Call the phone number at the bottom of this page: (http://www.hafler.com/techsupport/index.asp?ID=5) Rockford build the amp, and they've still got some of the correct MOSFET pairs. . .
Matched tubes in preamps
Any two tubes of the same family will work(one in each channel), but- if their transconductance is not matched, your channel balance will be off. How much off depends on how far . . .
noob toob question
How do they leave thee? Let me count the ways: (1) The estimated life of some tubes is based on the heater element(just like a bulb filament). They burn out the same way. (2) . . .
How to fix "hum" in Carver Preamp & Hafler Amp?
Given the age of those components(Over 20 yrs), the power supply caps have no doubt seen better days. I start there, and replace them all
Tube change
You don't absolutely have to, but- It won't hurt. I always turn my bias pot down 50% before changing power tubes, then bring the bias up to spec slowly as things warm up(I wait 1/. . .
adding a preamp?
You already have a pre built in to the PM15S1. Why would you need another? Surely there are enough inputs for those sources on the PM15S1
Need Help on Bypassing Volume Pot on Bob Carver
Generally speaking, the #1 terminal is grounded. That's the one that's on the left(looking at the rear of the pot, with the terminals on top). Without seeing a schematic; I can. . .
how do I switch voltage on amp?
Are you certain it has a dual voltage transformer? If it does; whether you can, would depend on your skills at rewiring a transformer's primary(generally, from series to parallel. . .
Cary SLP 03 Owners Tube Rolling Ideas
Since your tastes(like mine) are toward the more open, transparent and accurate: I'll suggest the Siemens or Telefunken ECC802S as the ultimate for your application. If the cost . . .
An affordable step up from AR SP14 is?
I owned one for a number of years, and was quite happy with it. Find a NOS, pre-mid 60's Siemens CCa(no internal date code/grey plate under getter support), or(at least) an E188CC. . .
Pathos Logos Tube Rolling?
The E88CC is a European iteration of the 6922, and a direct replacement. Are the Valvo tubes known to be good? Have you replaced the stock tubes, to see if they will still power . . .
Changing caps
Are you certain that those aren't 12,000uF/80V? Parts Connexion or DigiKey supply can supply them. Click, "Miscellaneous" at the bottom of this page:(http://www.partsconnexion.. . .
Anybody ever heard of EVI 6922 tubes?
Perhaps you're thinking of these: (http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=502), which are the best current production 6922s
Best tubes under $100? for Fisher integrated
You didn't mention what family of tubes you are looking for. Here's Upscale Audio's URL. Kevin could give you some very sound advice, if you were to tell him your tastes/. . .
Question on amp power and speaker ohms.
Try it set on 4 ohm for a while, then on 8, and see which you prefer. Most tubed amps output less power into 4 ohms than 8(an output transformer winding thing). My Maggies are 6 . . .
input sensitivity exceeded
2.3V will be the maximum output capability of the DAC, not a continuous output. Find a recording in your collection that you know to have a very high recording level, or very wide. . .
Tube Rolling with Onix SP3
There are some constants that can be seen with tubes in general. Some Manufacturer's tubes are more microphonic in the midrange(consistantly) for instance, and some very . . .
Looking for info/kits for dynaco mklV mono tube
Curcio has some of the best mods available for the power supplies: (http://www.curcioaudio.com/) I'd recommend restuffing the original(or upgraded) driver boards with Mills . . .
Hafler DH-200 & Nakamichi PA-5 for bi-amping?
Hopefully, the sensitivity(voltage in/power out)is matched, between the amps. The only way you'll know which sounds better(which amp for which driver) is to try it for yourself. . . .
How much can a leaking storage cap degrade music?
If it's leaked it's electrolyte, it no longer has it's rated capacitance(may be completely open), and the amp will have lost it's dynamics. I would replace all four of the power . . .
Compatibly between Tubed and Solid- State Gear
Some tubes are noisier than others. I've made it a habit to only install tubes that have been tested, and certified/graded, "very low noise" for use in any stage before(. . .