upgrade1394

Responses from upgrade1394

Sony HAP-Z1ES + MacBookPro
First of all Thanks to HRODMAN for posting the SBM version fix.It worked for me, just as I was doubting my ability to replace the HDD with a SSD.A couple of more questions:1. With a SSD installed, what should the write speed be? I only seem to get... 
Classe CA2300 - Mark Levinson 532H - Krell FPB300c
I have owned all 3 amps and would rate the the 300cx/532h as superior to the classe. Between the 300cx and 532h, it really depends upon your preference, the krell is more detailed and impactful, while the 532h is a bit laid back and slightly dark/... 
Itunes keeps stopping
Both OS and AE are current. No microwave being used at that time. Latest version of iTunes installed when problems started. 
Itunes keeps stopping
I have same problem, started about 3 days go right after I did software update.Just stops intermittently, sometimes for 5-10 seconds.The iMAC and Airport are within 10 feet.Never had this happen before, no solution so far. 
Opinion on Mark Levinson 533h amp
I recently bought the 532H (similar to the 533 except only 2 channels) and my conclusions are as:Build quality- easily 2 steps (0-10) lower than the older 400 series amps. Top plate sheet metal is a thin affair which noticeably resonates if you ta... 
Rochester NY
Happy to participate - will be in Rochester from April onwards. However, no tubes experience (and intend to keep it that way) and gave up vinyl 22 years ago. Primarily 2-ch but slowly easing into multichannel music - need to assemble/set-up system... 
Wilson Watt Puppy, which version?
I have heard and owned both the WP7 and the WP8 and feel the 8 is clearly superior to the 7 in transparency, musicality. In other words, the WP7 is harsh and a bit metallic. Majority of praises for the WP7 (versus the WP8) are from Wilson dealers ... 
Coax vs. Toslink
This topic resurfaces every 18 onths or so - below is link to earlier thread.http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?fcabl&1019742769&openusid&zzUpgrade1394&4&5#Upgrade1394IMHO, I have NEVER found coax to sound better than a de... 
D2v vs Classe ssp800, which would you prefer?
The new Classe CT-SSP is the same as the SSP-800, just wearing different exterior. Between the Anthem and Classe, the SSP-800 has far better dynamics, superior interface and configurability and awesome cosmetics. Even the 2-ch mode is very satisfy... 
BAT or Pass With My Sophia 2s?
I am using the X350 with WP8 (in secondary system) and am quite happy with it. Infact, the Pass does make for a mellow combination - while retaining the bass performance. Only experience with BAT was a pre-amp about 3-4 years ago (VK30?) and I was... 
Classe vs Levinson for B&W / Delta vs CT amps
My 2-bits in 3 sections:1) I agree with "Thesoundhouse" - ML amps are very dark sounding. The 433 is a good amp but not the best match for B&W Diamond series. I have previously used ML332 with 802N and was not very happy. Things improved with ... 
Help buying a television
Two suggestions: Go atleast 58" or better yet 65". The Panasonic Viera is a great set- I would take plasma over LCD (block smearing and unnatural flesh tones).Kuro is a desirable model, but the current Panasonics are very very good (go for middle ... 
Toslink or 110 ohm aes/ebu?
I would suggest we should trust our "own" opinion above all else. In my experience of 22 years and having tried many good value and high-end pieces of equipment (e.g. currently Theta CB3 Xtreme DACS, Classe SSP-800, DVD-10AX, SCD-1 to name just a ... 
"Stereophile magazine presented jitter measurements in the article "Jitter Games" where they stated "Critical listeners agree that the Toslink sounds substantially inferior to coaxial"Since S'phile says so- it is gospel! Its funny that the same ra... 
Why do you feel toslink is worst? In my opinion coax is the most aggravating, uncertain and ultra dependent upon construction choices whereas an optical wire with standard materials is very consistent and not prone to electrical interference (whic...