swanny76109

Responses from swanny76109

Turntable Hum
Building on Ralph’s diagnosis— you have tubes in the Manley. Have u checked the phonostage tubes?or tubes anywhere else in the signal path.   Perhaps microphonic?    
Phono Preamp Question
I run a Pass XP15 with my Dyna xx2mkII with great results, I believe you can get up to 76 db gain and it sounds divine.     
Best cartridge for VPI Scoutmaster Signature
Another vote for the XX2mk2. I have used this wonderful cart for the last couple years on my VPI Classic 1 with great results. I listen to much of the same music you do, it works great with rock, jazz, really anything. It is very low output and ne... 
Polarity between amps
Just switch the pos and neg leads at either the amp end or the speaker ends. Not both! This will change the phase. Then see which sounds better to you and report back. It really depends on your cables which is easier to switch. My biwire cables ha... 
Question about shipping damage
As Daniel just said, you are in a good position because you had them do the packing. Call your store and get it taken care of. And ask the customer to put a big dent in the corner of the box before he takes the pics ;-). Just to be safe. Agree wit... 
B&W ASW800 or SVS SB-1000??
I have no experience with the SVS but I think it is more of a home theatre sub. I have the BW ASW750 and I am not overly impressed with it. I use it in my 5 channel HT system and it works fine with the bass management in my processor. I have tried... 
Question about shipping damage
As the seller, you are responsible for getting the item to the buyer in well packed condition and working and in the physical appearance of the ad. You did the right thing by having UPS pack the item and insuring for full or more value. You need t... 
What is behind a "warm" or "vinyl"sound?
Waiting for Almarg to jump in and clarify all this. But I will add that it would be that humans tend to prefer even ordered distortion or low levels of odd harmonics as that would translate most closely to the natural, live acoustics we experience... 
Weird Band Names.
My favorite of late: Pussy Riot. Take that, Putin. 
Hot Tuna "S/T"
I saw Jorma play live right when Blue Country Heart came out. I picked it up at a CD vendor at the MerleFest in N Wilkesboro, NC back in 01 or 02 or so. He is really an amazing acoustic picker. I heard he has stopped playing electric and only pick... 
Phono stage good for classical and jazz?
Pass XP 15 is absolutely wonderful with jazz. It sounds so sweet late at night playing intimately recorded vinyl. Whatever the venue it will be portrayed in very accurate and specific physical space but with the correct musical flow. An alto sax i... 
Strange subsonic rumble problem?
Combination of an arm/cart mismatch that excites a room mode. 
It was 20 years ago today. . What was your system?
Forte 5 amp, Forte 40 pre, Sony CD Discman-yes, the first one, crappy JVC double cassette deck, Monster interconnects, and Hartley Mini Reference tower speakers. My ex wife and I spent everything we had for the amp and preamp on clearance when Thr... 
How to protect turntable from children?
Get a Target Wall shelf. There are a couple different sizes and one has two shelves, one has one shelf. It will hold a heavy TT. I am using one to support a Classic 1 VPI clocking in at over 60 lbs plus a 12 lb maple isolation shelf. My four year ... 
80s Metalheads...sleeper picks
Dio--it is an incredible album. Great on vinyl.