Sorry, Bendover. (No, I won't say it!) Assuming the most charitable position that this was simply a mistake on your part and wasn't a bait-and-switch, Mjohnston is clearly in the right on this one. Whether you offered Mj a perceived "better deal" or not is ultimately irrelevant. You no longer had the item that you agreed to sell to him, and he was obviously within his rights to request a full refund. Period. Mj gets his full refund.
Now to the question of time period. It isn't unreasonable to wait for the funds to be in B-over's "possession" before he can issue a refund. Mj should allow the seven(?) working days necessary to facilitate the refund. B-over, since the funds transfer has been confirmed, issuing a refund from your own account now would be a gesture of goodwill. You're not at risk of being out the money as it is almost impossible for a confirmed Paypal payment to be recalled. Give it some thought. You might improve your position in the minds of those who read this thread.
As always, just my opinion.
Jcbtubes (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
I made a mistake on the dates in my rebuttal. My response should read "I first sent him an email on 2/6/03 with a reply to his response on 2/6/03 and again on 2/8/03".
Please note that Bendover's Classified appeared on 2/6/03 and ended on 2/9/03- a total of 3 days. Bendover does not supply any evidence of what I said was in error and does not dispute the fact that he was paid within 24 hours of his agreement to sell me the powercords.
Unfortunately, due to Audigon's posting rules, I am unable to post the original email's.
I still by the fact that bendover and I completed a sale which he backed out of and is refusing to repay me the full amount in a timely fashion.
Mjohnston (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
What a crazy mess people get into when they are impatient, greedy, or both.
The seller has offered to send back the money plus Paypal fees (GREAT!).
The potential buyer has asked for his money back plus Paypal fees.
So, what the hell's the problem here? My advice to Mjohnston... wait a few more days for money transfer to come through. It's not always as lightning fast as we would like or are led to believe.
If the reimbursement (which seems very generous to me) does not come through in 7-10 days, THEN start making noise.
I think you both need to sit in the corner for a while and cool off.
Cpdunn99 (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)
How did this make it to the dispute forum? The situation can be characterized by one word, IMPATIENCE. Impatience on the part of the seller for not waiting for the sale to run a reasonable course and then selling to someone else out of panic (giving the beneift of the doubt, here). Impatience on the part of the buyer for not waiting to get reimbursed after a promise of a full refund was offered. Both parties have a lot to learn with respect to buying and selling, IMHO. Let the neg feedback stand for both.
4yanx (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)