Sacramento, California

We have a variety of systems built around both planar and coil speakers. We are helpful, friendly, and informal. Please feel free to email me if interested.
muralman1
Hello I started this hobby and have purchased an amp and pre-amp and am looking into purchasing some magnepan mmg-w's and c's for my HT, but since no one in sacramento carries them I cannot listen to them prior to purchase. If you can help with reccomendations or know someone willing to demo a pair I would be very greatful. I live in fair oaks but would be willing to travel. Thank you!
I'm here, in Midtown. I know of no-one using Magnepan. As for dipoles, we have Martin Logan, Apogee, and Soundlab. You should come down to my place to have a listen to an Apogee before you make up your mind.
My apologies to anyone who emailed me over the last several months. All of my past mail as vanished into the ether, due to an unwitting error on my part. I am anxious for people to hear the H2O on my Scinnies. After having introduced the new technology to the old, I find the marriage is made in heaven. Please write. My address records are lost.
And I thought I was the only guy in Sacramento who obsesses over hi-fi. I live in Gold River.
And I thought I was the only guy in Sacramento who obsesses over hi-fi.
Oh no, Barney1010, you're not alone here. I'm in Midtown like Muralman1, and the obsession runs deep!
Regards,
Howard
You guys should start a club. I live in Reno, originally from NY where clubs are active, and would come over. If I lived there I would host the first one, but sadly I don't think any CA people want to go this far, accept to buy houses-land.
Let me know if I can help.
Muralman1 I didn't know you were this close.
I'm interested in joining this club. I'm out in the Tahoe Park area. I too am looking into buying a pair of Maggie MMG's, finally after YEARS of yearning.
Elk Grove. It took a while for me to swing it open since the other side of the hinge was 15miles away.
Are there any hi-fi stores in the area? I know of Deetes' Sound Room, but can't find any others. Thanks!
Audio FX east of Bus 80 around 30-32nd St and D or E. I don't think they are in the phone book. PM me if you can't find them. I have a phone number and address somewhere.

Paradyme--on Fulton just north of Arden on the east side. Mostly HT last time I was in there.
Is that the same Audio/FX that used to be on Howe Ave just South of Arden?

Is the better Paradyme location Roseville as opposed to Sac?
Yes it is the same Audio FX. They moved.

I have never been in the Roseville Paradyme. The Sacramento Paradyme is very heavy HT. I have not been in that store for several years.
All I can say, is Audio FX must have got a sweet deal on that old haunts where Keith Yates use to have a very high end store. The store is nearly invisible.
Yes. The R'ville location is no more. The front door makes them look like they're closed.
Actually, they're about 100 feet from the old location. Chris the owner, has a pair of Dayton-Wrights in front of his B&W 800's(the original model from the early '90's).
Audio FX may be nearly invisible but they have plenty of free parking. -:) I like the easy access.
I sent some replies through my phone that didn't get posted. FX is on "D" St between Alhambra and 30th. Audio Gallery is no longer in business(a long story).
Are you talking about the location up the street from Paradyme nestled in a corner? Do you remember the audio store about two blocks from Paradyme that sold Mirage speaker's? They went out of business about '94-'95.
There was a store a couple blocks from the Paradyme on Fulton. I can't remember the name. I bought some Boston Acoustics there, and a turntable.
I'm well aware of that as I have done a great deal of business with Audio FX and consider them to be good friends.
Where is everyone?
Hey Muralman1, anything happening in Sac? I'm here in Elk Grove venturing out into the audiophile world. Got a lot of work to do but starting out with an Ayon Triton (still in a box).
Hey Deltatrippers. Are you a river guide? There was a lot of interest when things started. To answer your question, there are just three of us who are still in communication.

The Ayon is a gorgeous amp, and reviewers like it a lot. What speakers are you going to use?

Drop me a private message if you care to discuss things over the phone.
Back in my 'trippin' days I'd frequent the delta hangouts. Gotta change that dumb name.
As for my plunge into the audiophile world, here's what I did. Instead of building a system around speakers which I think is what most do, I impulsively bought the Ayon Triton. So much for researching and then buying wisely. Anyway, my wife and I later fell in love with Revel Ultima Salon 2 speakers. Oops...the Triton isn't powerful enough to drive those. Now we're looking at Verity Parsifal Ovations. I have to take care of some other business before I decide on speakers so I have time to research and NOT buy impulsively. But we'll see.
Muralman1, I'll drop you a line when I have time. Thanks for the offer.
Since you are building a system that includes perhaps large floor standing full range speakers, tube amps are not going to push them to loud levels. The review from Stereophile for the Salon 2 is very positive.

You might want to visit my house in Sacramento. I have amps and gear no-one would consider since of all my components only the transport and DAC can be found in brick stores.
Deltatrippers: Was curious why you concluded that the Triton isn't powerful enough to drive the Revel Ultima Salon2 speakers. Have you actually heard the combo? The Salon2 specs are not that terrible (86dB, 6 ohms nomimal with 3.7 min), and the Triton is quite powerful for an all-tube amp, unless you need deafening playback levels.
Muralman1
I absolutely love the Salon 2's. Heard them at 'Music Lovers' in San Fran. Jesse Luna was a pleasure to do business with. Thing is, the Salon 2's are rated at 86.4 db into 6 ohms and the Verity Ovations are rated at 89db into 8 ohms. Having read a number of threads on both speakers here, it seems that the Salons need a lot more than the Triton can deliver. Also, threads here (although mixed opinions) seem to indicate that the Ovations will do fine with the Triton. Keep in mind I come from a background of Carver preamp, Denon amp, Altec Lansing 501's and the regular old Monster cable speaker wire kind of background. So I'm truly a newbie but learning.
I would be honored to check out your system. As soon as I can catch up from the holidays, and also make some progress in getting my mom moved here from LA, I'll drop you a line.
Ral
When I told Jesse at 'Music Lovers' in San Francisco, that I have the Triton, he said it wasn't powerful enough to drive the Salon 2's. He suggested bi-amping as an option and recommended a Musical Fidelity M6 PRX CRPS (260 Watts?) as a possible option to drive the woofers. But then stated it's a tricky proposition when bi-amping. After reading some threads on bi-amping, I'm reluctant as a newbie to try that option.
But you bring up a good point...hooking up my Triton to his Revels. If I remember right, he offered this option. Soon as I have time, I've got to put that on my 'to do' list. By the way, what do you mean by '3.7 min'?
Ral, I made that comment based on design and size. I hadn't seen the Salon's specifications. Perhaps Deltatrippers will find them perfectly suitable.
Deltatrippers, we moved in my Mother just last year. It is an adjustment. Things are going well here.

I did a set of murals at an Elk Grove Restaurant by the name of La Fuente. If I understand correctly, the front renovation of the strip mall may have caused their destruction.

Midtown Sacramento is but 20 minutes away from Elk Grove. I have something very special for you to listen to.
Hi Deltatrippers. I was just thinking that you never know about some amp/speaker combos till you try, despite all the specs. I've heard some nice surprises over the years (i.e. combos that "shouldn't work"). The determination of whether an amp is "powerful enough" can be quite subjective, so it's worth a try with Revel/Triton. (But I agree that Triton/Ovation sounds like a good match.) The speaker's impedance curve is most critical IMO, since you might get a different "sound" across the spectrum for a given tap on the amp. Salon2 drops to 3.7ohms at lower frequencies despite a 6ohms nominal rating. Possible consequences are discussed in the Stereophile review of that speaker (see Measurements). Let us know what you try out (just make sure the amp & speaker are well broken-in). By the way, bi-amping with different amps is very tricky and time-consuming. I messed around with this several times (see my older posts here), with mixed results. Wouldn't really recommend that strategy.
Ral, are you local? I need Deltatrippers to come here for a listen before he goes out buying amps for trial purposes. If you have the money, audio stores will allow you to, "Buy," amps with full agreement you are likely to return it.
Thanks for the input guys. I bought the Triton from an A-goner so considering the price, it'll be a keeper in some shape or form for now. And considering what many are saying, it'll be nice if it's a 'keep for life' kind of audio equipment.
I'll let you know how my speaker search is going.
And no bi-amping for me. Don't need the hassle.
Muralman1; We're trying to buy my mom a house down the street. She's determined (84yrs old) to stay independent!
Again, thanks for the offer to listen to your system. I'll get back to you soon as I can.
Hey, Deltatrippers, please check out the La Fuentes restaurant at 99 and Elk Grove for me. I can't drive, and am wondering what might have happened to my murals. There were three big ones and a smaller one too.
Muralman1; will do. My wife and I use to frequent that restaurant. It's been about a year and a half. They had great chili verde. Wondering why we quite going. I'll let you know.
I painted

a Central Mexico high peak that has a Christian church on top of a Native American temple.

A view of a hidden temple in the Yucatan Peninsula.

A Macaw parrot I imaged at the Sacramento Zoo.

A hacienda veranda looking out at out buildings and planted fields.

Banana trees growing out of big clay pots, and a stone arch.
Hi All, Noob here in Sacramento, do any of you recommend a good audio or vintage radio shop in the area to replace a burnt out transformer on a tube headphone amp and even make mods to make it better. It's a Chinese 631P tube headphone amp, I've had it for about 6 years until recently the main 120v transformer decided to belly up.