Burlington, VT - Any interest in starting a club?

I've always been curious about how many Agon visitors are in Vermont. That said, who are you, where are you, and would you be interested in starting a local audiophile society? It can make this hobby a hell of a lot more fun. And hey, we've even been blessed with a new hifi shop (on Church St).

Cheers,

Neil
128x128lneilb
I noticed that... I saw a classified ad on audiogon from that shop a few days ago. There used to be another one run by Chris Dowling (Sound Essentials), but that's apparently closed. I still managed to buy a pair of speakers from him while he was open. I'm in Thetford, VT - 1.5 hours south of you, so a little too far, but it would be nice to see some activity - ANY activity up this way.
Last time i talked to Chris he was still in business. He's downsized now to a small shop working only a few hrs a week. I'm in Swanton, about 35 to 40 mins north of Burlington. What's the name of the new store on Church St. ? And where exactly is this store located at ? I think an audio club is a great idea. Winter is too damn long up here.
hi, i am a long way from burlington but i am there often, my 2 kids go to school there. i now live in so. vt newfane. i got into this hobby back in the 70's when audio den was on dorset street. i lived in burlington for 8 years. just a wonderful store for hi end audio. the owner name was bob, great guy and a great store. i was very sad when he closed. back in the 70's and 80's, it was one of the best hi end stores in the north east. i always said, "in bob's ears i have trust". the good thing is i still have the same interest in audio today. thanks bob. ralph carnevale
Hello, all!

Chris Dowling moved to Chicago and gave up the shop for a real job :)
A friend of his (with his help) is carrying some of the same lines, along with some new ones - Omega, JMLab and RedRose speakers, Audio Refinement, Thule and Jolida electronics. The store atmosphere is wonderful! It's at the very top of Church St. in Richardson Place. www.audiosolutions.biz
It would be nice to see a hifi shop survive in VT. I moved here just after Audio Den closed, so I missed out.
In any event, I was thinking about a once per month meeting to start, to make things easy for those a bit further away. Weekends might be a good idea as well, to allow for travel time.
Any suggestions? This could be successful if it's implemented in a way that works for the majority of those in the area.

Cheers!

Neil
Maybe start a NE club?? Or a tri state(VT.,NH,ME) northern NE club?? Im sure up for helping start something! I can even offer a dedicated website too.
Howdy all, just getting serious into home audio myself (budget equipment but maximizing the sound i have), i live in burlington and love to see that there are people on here in the area. i found out about this site from jeff at vinal destinations been bworsing for a few weeks now but seeing this post i had to join and meet fellow vermonters. i'd love to meet some of the felow audio freaks in town. i used to install for a/v authority for a few months as well so i've played with some decent gear but cant afford it :( i'd love to get together with some of you guys to hear some new things
Ok, it's been awhile. I thought I'd see if this thread would gather any momentum. It looks like there are a few interested folks. Any ideas on frequency of meetings? I think it makes sense to rotate through members' systems (not in any particular order).
Sean120 - Did you know Mark H at AV Authority?
Did he work for the burlington store? If yes then i did not know him, a lil before my time, there was a Mark that worked down in the NH store that I met a few times good guy. i worked there from dec of this past year up until march then shortly after the shop closed down. The Rutland store has reopened under new name and ownership, if you're familiar with the old crew well then you'll know Bruce and Frank and they're still down there doing the thing. Anywho i think once or twice a month for meetings at some ones place or a said location. i def could use some hands and ears on guidance as to what would be wise choises for investments of what little cash i do have and also to get that last little bit out of what i currently have
Hi fellow vermont audiophiles I live in wardsboro VT. I know the member who lives in newfane. Hi Ralph. Anyhow I think it would be a great Idea to start some kind of club. I would like to someday open up a high end shop around here, but I do not think it would spark much interest. Most vermonters do not want to spend $5k on an amp. Ralph from newfane has a little used audio shop in brattleboro VT. Which I think is an excellent Idea, because this area has zip for audio equipment. Maybe we can start some kind of website and communicate with that, possibly even plan a trip to a ces show or something. What do you guys think?
We should post our systems to each other and tell each other what we are working on. Lets do it!!
I think that's a great idea, but this thread seems to have fizzled out. What if I were to start a yahoo group? Would there be some interest?
I'm in Brattleboro Vt too. I'd be interested in starting a club. I also know Ralph. Hope this post isn't too late.

Jeff
Hello Southern Vermonters, i live in Hoosick Falls,NY, right outside of Bennington,VT, sort of the armpit of Vermont!( just kidding HFers, hey thats kinda funny-HFers-heiffers-Vermont-Hee Hee) Guess i'm the only one who dosen't know Ralph, but would like to check out the used audio shop in Brattleboro, where is it and what hours is it open? Are you there Ralph? Also i would be interested in chating or maybe meeting in S. VT. I also just started a new thread looking for audiophiles in the tristate area( Hoosick Falls, NY, Bennington, VT, Williamstown,MA, ETC., I guess Brattleboro, Amhearst,MA and Albany,NY are within reach too) to at least talk. Hope to hear from some folks. Thanks for your time, Alan
This thread is pretty old now -- I am in Burlington and would be interested in an occassional meeting (4 times per year?).

- Eric Hart
Hi Eric;

Yes, I'd be interested. There are not many audiophiles in this area so getting to no others is a good thing. Hopefully we can find others that are interested. I'm down in Brattleboro.

Jeff
Hi Eric,

I am across the lake in the Adirondacks an hour or so away near Lake Placid. I have an interest in analog but my first love is live music. I would suggest we try and meet four times a year and inconjunction attend a concert, Burlington is a good central place to meet? Why don't you email back all the people that responded and see what they think ?

Best
Joseph

Groovey Records
My audiophile cousin on LI just directed me to your message here! A little late perhaps, but maybe still relevant. My name is Bryan, and I live in South Burlington, VT. Somewhat of an audiophile/musician, but growing all the time (ebay and Audiogon keep me busy). Right now I've got two pretty hi-end separates systems--one with Rotel and B&W components, and the other with Odyssey/McCormack/Kef, but changing (getting more expensive that is) all the time. A little audio rave in northern VT? I'd have to say yes! Still interested?
I'm game. I have been working too much over the last three years - have had no time to liten, never mind dedicate time to meet. But my schedule is opening up, so I'd love to revisit this.

Rather than rely on replies to this thread (since it has generated little interest over the years), it might make sense to employ word of mouth to try and find a large enough group to make it interesting. I know a couple of audiophiles in Chittenden county. Maybe they also know a few more.

The next challenge is picking a time that will work for all...
Hey Stunt Hunt,

I am still running a pretty modest system. Just as I was about to pull the trigger on a Atma-sphere system I thought about getting into live music with my family.
I went out and bought a piano, a bunch of guitars and a bass, some drums, boutique tube amps and cabinets and some minor recording equipment that I've decided not to let distract me from playing live music. I am having a ball.

Most of my system was state of the art in 85 but now I'd still like to have a Atma-Sphere OTL amp pair and a really good pre but it's going to have to wait.

I just dropped another 10k this month for a 60's telecaster, a TopHat Emplexador, a 1960 Marshall 4x12 cabinet and some Vintage analog effects. I've got my eye out for a Leslie cab too. High end audio has gotten to be to me an excercise in futility. My sound from my system fills my room well but the sound in my head always sounds better.

I am in Keene, New York across the lake, I get into Burlington more often in the spring and summer maybe we could look to put something together for April or May

I bought a RCM, a new really good Maestro MM cartridge and continue to buy and sell Vinyl on line. http://stores.ebay.com/GROOVEY-RECORDS

Check it out

Groovey Records

Listening to The Clash- White Riot
Hi guys,
I'm a audiophile from Rutland, Vt, been an audiophile for 6 years now,,, late in life at 56 now. I've always had midfi systems, Bose & Pioneer, and such but when i reached my 50's, it was now or never so I sunk myself in debt to have what I now have.I just recently lost my job of 35 years so I'm presently strapped for cash. But I've still been making to trips to NYC area for RAVES. Burlington would surely be closer.LOL My system can be seen at AudioCircle but basically I'm into a computer source with over 3000 albums to date. I'll bookmark this thread for future reference.

Cheers,
Robin
Hi guys,

I have to say I am pretty much out of the running as a host right now. My family and I are preparing for a year's sabbatical living in Latin America, and the preparation is pretty time-consuming (starting with learning better Spanish!). And my system has been static the last couple of years, so not that exciting (I'd like a good external DAC, then would be done). Would consider attending if someone else hosts, though.
Hi all,
Did any of you folks ever manage to start getting together? I've been slowly working my way into hifi and would like to connect with others with similar interests.

Has any club managed to get started?

Chris
Never did get a "club" off the ground in the Burlington area. Probably not too many audiophiles in this little place. I'm still at it, tho, slowly making upgrades to the point where I 'think' I'm done. It's a pretty nice system, if I do say so--McCormack DNA1, Kef Ref.4, Audioprism pre, etc. Definitely puts you in the zone, if you know what I mean. I also finally treated my room with acoustic panels. BIG difference!

If anyone around here is interested in comparing notes and talking music and gear, let me know! And if you're free on June 30, come down to Breakwaters on the waterfront, where my band Jive Attic will be playing. I'm the harp player/singer/guitarist.

It's all about the music!
Thanks for responding to my post! I live in Underhill but will be in town this evening to visit with some relatives vacationing in the area. Will try to get down to Breakwaters to hear your band.

Your system sounds interesting. I'm unfamiliar with that amp, speaker, pre setup. Would be interested to hear it.

I using PP tube amp (Decware) and outboard tube DAC with home built MLTL speakers using Jordan single range drivers. My sources are digital but would like to meet someone who can give a good vinyl demo. My room has some RealTrap panels but is not extensively treated.

Burlington must have a few more of us that would like to talk gear, music, and share listening experiences.

Chris
I am bummed this never got off the ground. I would like to meet some Vermont folks who are into music, LPs and music gear. I am on the vintage side of things. Here is a partial list. Conrad Johnson PV5 and MV75, Mcintosh C11, Pair of MC75s, Thorens TD124, Klipsch Lascalas, Cornwalls, Cornscalas, and Heresies. I enjoy hearing other peoples systems and music and learning what they are into. I also enjoy refurbishing old gear and doing the woodwork that is involved.
NAD cdp, NAD pre-amp, NAD amp, VPI turntable, Dynaudio speakers.
I'm debating spending a lot on upgrading interconnects and power cables.

Cheers! Todd
I'm back.

After a few years of working two full time jobs, my schedule has loosened up. I'm happy to entertain the idea again - but do we have enough interest to make it worthwhile?

Let me know if you're game.
I live in central VT and would be very interested in a club, or at least some informal exchange of ideas and music.
I know this is an old thread, but I am in Burlington, and am interested in an audio club. If any of you are still on audiogon, and are interested, please respond.