|Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.|
The denon onkyo and apex are not even decent mi fi gerar. yo ... Natalie
I had a slightly similiar system with older bw speakers and ... Pe3046
Did you do the demo where your system is or in the garage? ... Jameswei
Painter, are you using your system to watch movies at all or ... Gunbei
Oval 9 is very revealing. probably too much for your source ... Bluefin
Please don't hear this as insulting but are you sure you hav ... Bishopwill
Bishopwill's suggestion is the first place i would look. th ... Rives
Painter: i will also have to concur with "pe3046" ... Chaskelljr2001
Thanks for the replies!
I guess now if you'll oblige me, does anyone feel up to playing the "match a new integrated amp to my speakers and cables" game?
Hopefully I'll be able to return the Denon, but I am "stuck" with the CDMs and AP-O9s for now. Obviously price is an issue, but if there's an amazing enough unit, I might throw prudence out the window.
Being forced to choose, this will be a music system, as opposed to HT.
Budget: $400 (less if possible, but perhaps could go to around $600 if it was really, really warranted.)
Now on to the specific replies:
1. Natalie: Uhm, thanks for the vague advice. I'm accepting any donations you're offering to help better my system. In the meantime, I'll spend the money that I can.
2. Pe3046: I think I'm in agreement with you. It's all after-the-fact, tho. I thought my research was rock solid, but maybe I should've Posted (here) Before Purchace.
3. Jameswei: Sadly, I think the Onkyo/lampcord sounds slightly better... Could this be the Denon requiring burn-in time?
4. Gunbei: I wanted the best of both worlds, of course! Heh, yeah... I think I do have the curse--pretty badly, too.
5. Bluefin: Are you really saying to get rid of my cables to match the quality of the Denon? I couldn't recoop any cash from the cables at this point, so I'm hesitant to even consider it. My listening room is not ideal at this point, (building a new home soon) but I've situated the speakers as best I can.
6. Bishopwill: Just to be sure, I mis-wired them, and my head nearly imploded in the sonic vacuum! AAIIIEEE!
7. Rives: Done and Done. I think I'd be interested in one of your Test CDs, as I'm currently using my favorite discs as unquantifiable reference.
8. Chaskelljr2001: "...why would you be using an a/v receiver to anchor your music system???" 1.) I didn't set out to create an exclusive music system 2.) Incorrect interpretation of research / belief in web reviews.
"A change in cable wouldn't hurt matters much either." To a more expensive one? NoCanDo.
"And by the way, how is that Apex DVD Player holding up???" The Apex is my favorite little $69 gadget ever. It plays DVDs, DVD-R, VCD, SVCD, MPEG1s, MP3s, JPGs, and a few other odd formats. You can reprogram the ROM to make it region free, disable Macrovision and burn in a custom-made graphical background. Not very "phile" oriented, but a beautiful little H4xie workhorse.
Painter (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
"sadly, i think the onkyo/lampcord sounds slightly bett ... Ezmeralda11
Painter, my experience with friends i've known assembling lo ... Benthar
Painter, does the denon have an analog or 2-ch direct featur ... Inscrutable
I can tell you the integrated's that i was looking at, but m ... Pe3046
I used three different runs of analysis plus oval 9 during t ... Gunbei
Painter: one possible explanation that no one's mentioned ye ... Bomarc
Bomarc raises an interesting point that makes me think ... ... Inscrutable
Yeegads - too much information: i'm not sure what to make of ... Bob_bundus
So I just got back from the AV store and listened to systems that were 3 & 4 times the value of what I have, and none of them gave me that WOW factor either.
I think Bomarc hit the nail on the head with the idea that I'm expecting too much.
I appreciate everyone's effort in trying to help me.
I think I'm actually going to just take a break from trying to "fix" the problem right now and listen to what I actually have for a little while.
Painter (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
Painter, i found that it's a rare store that gives you that ... Gunbei