AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Tech talk > 1001889380  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This
  Here's How I Make My Equipment Racks
In response to a previous thread, here's how I make my
equipment racks:
List of equipment: 3/4" thick MDF cut to desired shelf
size
(4) 3/4" diameter 6' threaded steel rods
3/4" nuts and washers (8 per shelf)
Drill a 3/4" hole in the corner of each shelf in exactly the
same place. I do this by scribing a line with a square 1 1/2" inch in and using a nail set to punch a hole where the lines intersect. A drill press works great to drill the holes so they are all straight and true. Now that you have
a hole drilled in each corner of each shelf, simply screw
the whole thing together, adjusting each shelf to fit your
gear. Use a square to make sure your first shelf is straight, and measure each one likewise. If you do this
correctly, your rack will sit straight and level. If you
need to level it further, buy (4) 3/4 rod connectors, which
are about 3" high, and screw these into the bottom of the
rod and use them to level it. I paint the steel rod using
Krylon Industrial enamel (flat black looks best), and paint
the shelves to match your decor. This makes a very solid,
heavy audio rack. Total cost is about $40 for the steel
rod, $15 for the nuts and washers (about $1.00 a pound)
$20 for the MDF, and $5.00 worth of paint for a total under
$100. I've made several racks this way and have used the
same method to make CD racks.
Dave
Dave43  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-30-01
  Responses (1-49 of 49)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

10-01-01   What are its musical and sonic benefits? and what other supp ...   Caterham1700

10-01-01   Playing "devil's advocate" here, huh ken : ) ...   Sean

10-01-01   Hi sean, devil's advocate? nah, party pooper is more like i ...   Caterham1700

10-01-01   I do agree with your basic statements. i too have found mos ...   Sean

10-02-01   The flexy is good. i had to build one because i did not hav ...   Ohlala

10-02-01   Fire away,sean. feel free to e mail me or post here.i'll he ...   Caterham1700

10-02-01   Ohlala, ken has demonstrated his willingness to both learn a ...   Sean

10-02-01   I have read and appreciate mr. lyon's informative posts on a ...   Ohlala

10-02-01   hi ohlala, my original response was not meant to dismiss d ...   Caterham1700

10-03-01   Well, mr. ken... would you contribute to the audio world by ...   Psychicanimal

10-03-01: Caterham1700
IKEA*lyte Modular Component Isolation Support-

IKEA's Lack endtables and coffeetables are constructed of an attractively finished natural wood laminates over an expanded foam and chipboard core.
This composition is of high strength, extremely low energy storing mass and has superb internal damping characteristics.Altho not designed as such,the construction details of IKEA Lack is that of a laminated constrained layer device.Conceptually,when the material is used as an isolation device,it is not far removed from Russ Andrews RATA Torlyte and my own Neuance performance shelving.
Due to the huge volume and modern manufacturing methods IKEA can sell completed endtable units in a variety of colours or natural wood veneers for $15 each ($20 for beech).No finishing is required for the construction of the IKEA*lyte modular isolation stand.
Changes in racking needs can be accomplished by the addition of other IKEA Lack "modules".
IKEA is available worldwide thru retail outlets and by mail order and the internet.
The sonic and musical performance of the IKEA*lyte will better many commercially available supports costing upwards of $500-600 or more, particularly in the areas of PRaT, note shaping and harmonic textures.Depending on the quality of the spiking used and care in installation, the IKEA*lyte will easily better Sanus,Salamander,Atlantis,Lovan,Billy Bags and many other respected and often costly support systems.
Typical cost for a completed 4 shelf IKEA*lyte rack should run approx. US $95-110 ,excluding tools and dependant on finish.

You will need -

(1) IKEA Lack endtable or coffeetable to be used as a Reference Base Platform.(The coffeetable is recommended for unstable flooring and the unused areas make a good location for outboard crossovers and power conditioning devices,powerstrips,etc.)

(1ea.) IKEA Lack endtable for EACH component shelf required.
(ie: a 4 component rack will require a total of 5 IKEA Lack tables, including the base unit)

also needed will be
-a length of 1/4" threaded rod for making spikes
plus matching drill and thread tap
a hacksaw for cutting the threaded rod
and a grinder for sharpening the spikes and to make flats
on each side of the threaded rod/spike for adjusting with
a wrench
-a saw for cutting down the legs for heigth(tablesaw preferred for accuracy)

I.Install 4 spikes to "Base Platform" where the legs would normally be attached and install on the floor,making sure of level and evenness.Do not press the spikes hard into the flooring,just let it settle.If you have heavy carpeting, pre-pierce the carpet with a sharp awl first.

II.Measure and carefully cut down the legs of each shelf module to allow clearance for each component & your favorite footer device.

III.Drill a 1/4"hole, centered, at the bottom of each leg, tap the hole and install the spikes into each leg.

IV.Install the top end of the finished legs to each IKEA shelf module using Carpenters glue.

V.Stack and level each module using the spikes as the adjusting mechanism.Make sure that each module is even,level and does not rock or rattle.

VI.Install your components and let the stand settle-in for a day.Recheck for level and eveness.

VII.Enjoy.

If you have further questions or need clarifications ,I can be contacted by e mail at greaterranges@msn.com or thru the Neuance website at www.neuanceaudio.com/

Best,
Ken Lyon
GreaterRanges/Neuance

Caterham1700  (Answers | This Thread)

10-03-01   addendum to ikea8lyte- i should note that you will have 4 ...   Caterham1700

10-03-01   O.k., guys, take a deep breath! i was just posting these pl ...   Dave43

10-03-01   Whoa, cool. thank you, mr. lyon. very nice of you to take th ...   Ohlala

10-03-01   Ken, would you incorporate neuance platforms into the ikea ...   Rushton

10-04-01   Thank you very much, ken! we can only really keep what we h ...   Psychicanimal

10-04-01   Wham !!!! thanks for taking the time to "step up to th ...   Sean

10-04-01   ikea*lyte addendum #2- if one chooses to use the lack coffe ...   Caterham1700

10-04-01   Dave43- my apologies for making you my unwitting victim in m ...   Caterham1700

10-04-01   Rushton, the "ikea*lyte" construct is largely int ...   Caterham1700

10-04-01   Thank you,francisco.i understood perfectly. now, about that ...   Caterham1700

10-04-01   Hi sean, the fact that you had the courage to mention that ...   Caterham1700

10-04-01   -never do multiple re-edits at 3:oo am :0) re:in my reply t ...   Caterham1700

10-04-01   Thank you for all the detailed information you've provided, ...   Rushton

10-05-01   Idem.   Psychicanimal

10-05-01   Ken, thanks for getting back to *all* of us : ) i'll tak ...   Sean

10-05-01   Hi sean, i think your pipe wrap idea is a fine one.i hasten ...   Caterham1700

10-05-01   I'm one of those cheap flexi guys though i'd probably have u ...   Piezo

10-05-01   I went to ikea! first and foremost, it is an incredible pla ...   Psychicanimal

10-09-01   One thing i'm not clear on about the ikea lyte design. what ...   randy@

10-09-01   I understand the concern but the device is actually much mor ...   Caterham1700

10-09-01   More addendums- if you're still worried about slippage/accid ...   Caterham1700

10-09-01   Ken - thanks for the further thoughts and suggestions! and ...   randy@

10-10-01   I bought phillips head wood screws (#14 x 1 1/2") for m ...   Psychicanimal

10-12-01   Ken, no wonder you're running 4 weeks out! get off the threa ...   Subaruguru

03-17-02   Since these directions were posted, the lack table now has h ...   jskupe@

03-17-02   what a great thread to stumble upon when you're thinking o ...   Waltersalas

03-17-02   I had mine shipped to me, from houston to dallas. i am pret ...   Ohlala

03-18-02   i figured it out. thanks, ohlala.   Waltersalas

03-19-02   At the risk of sounding incredibly naive (which i probably a ...   4yanx

03-19-02   I have an ikea rack made with the coffee tables for my tube ...   Psychicanimal

03-20-02   I am not privy to the details of the physics, but vibrations ...   Ohlala

03-20-02   4yanx, i can understand your not understanding : ) i too w ...   Sean

09-26-02   lack coffee table   Cdc

09-26-02   lack end table   Cdc

05-05-03   Went to ikea yesterday to check out the lack end table and c ...   Russ_l

05-21-03   Just a suggestion, you can convert this rack to a synergy ra ...   Eldulcesol

06-19-03   I've built a similiar rack, but i glued two pieces of 3/4 md ...   Cpeay

06-19-03   Cpeay, you can make a lot more things for your audio system ...   Eldulcesol

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password