Best driving music.

I'm not a car audio buff, nor am I a huge traveler, but in the northeast we've had beautiful weather the last couple days and I've been REALLY enjoying The Allman Brothers. Man, the fresh air blowing though the car and Blue Sky cranking on the radio, does it get any better than this? What do you like to listen to on a great Saturday, just cruising with the top down?
128x128jmcgrogan2
Funny you should mention the Allman Bros. Just this morning I opened up the sunroof and cranked up Jessica.
Motorhead 'white line fever' of course, or Judas Priest 'heading out to the highway'. Both classics in their own right. Don't forget AC/DC 'highway to hell' too, that's a great one. And Def Leppard 'on through the night', there's a bunch of great one's now that I think about it.
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers-- "Bad to the Bone" and other GT CDs. Craig
Try some Boston like the greatest hits. That should keep you busy for a hour. Or some Rush NOT good if your a air drummer Keep your hands on the Wheel. Or Joe Satriani on words to deal with. Just some hard hitting music. The north
East is real nice to cruse. I lived upstate NY. Thaen i moved.. Enjoy /Be safe.......Chris Boca Raton FL
Try some Boston like the greatest hits. That should keep you busy for a hour. Or some Rush NOT good if your a air drummer Keep your hands on the Wheel. Or Joe Satriani no words to deal with. Just some hard hitting music. The north
East is real nice to cruse. I lived upstate NY. Then i moved.. Enjoy /Be safe.......Chris Boca Raton FL
Allman Bros, "The Road Goes on Forever"; Doobie Bros (remember "Long Train Runnin?"); Eagles, & B-T Overdrive, I say!
Cheers!
Happy to hear there are so many Allman Brothers fans. I don't play them a bunch at home, but IMHO, they make the best driving music. Elizabeth Reed, Melissa, One way out, Ramblin' man and the road goes on forever........
I love all sorts of music, but when I feel like doing a little high speed driving or hanging some corners nothing gets me going better than Surfing With The Alien, and The Extremist by Joe Satriani. Both of these albums really get my blood going.
the wail of a 3.0 litre alfa v6 winding out, being run thru the gears... ;~)

doug *no radio on my 90 mile/day commute* sedon

Hey now,
(Especially fellow Allmans fans)
Don't leave home w/o some tasty Dead shows - the 'Disco on Coke' spring '77 tour has some great candidates. You just can't go wrong with all of those crazed 20+ minute Scarlet->Fires, amazing Estimateds and endless 'Dancin in the Streets' jams. Head back to fall '73 for calmer, spacier Playin' jams and Dark Stars. The boys account for most of my recent commute music, along with some dates from Miles' spring '60 European tour. And of course, I like tooling along listening to the ABB, but I'd MUCH rather crank up a nice Elizabeth Reed while relaxing in the living room than having to pay attention to traffic.
the soundtrack to playstations ridge racer,(in my honda)and stepenwolf,zz top and cream while in american cars,lol.
Pell Mell. Great instrumental rock. Appropriately named album, "Interstate". So sick of "Boston"
The Allman Bros. Live at the Filmore East is one of my favorite cds. It was recorded on the last night of the Filmore East before it closed. I was there and we got out of the concert around 10AM the next morning. So not only is it one of the best drivng cds, but I believe it is one of the best american guitar band cds, ever! Plus it brings back lots of great memories. Also the J. Geils Band "Live Full House" is one hard driving cd.
Al Dimeola when you re movin out... Particularly Race with the Devil on Spanish Hiway.
Deep Purple..."Machine Head", for driving fast and hard on deserted streches of road!
the DEAD.
Grateful Dead live!
Listen to a few good sets, expecially recordings of late 70's and 80's, you will be driving more than just your automobile. "Bertha, sugar mag" and "GOING DOWN THE ROAD FEELING BAD" all good....PASS IT ON...
I propose that all car audio systems be permanently set to play soothing classical music (Beethoven might be particularly good). I'm convinced that this might quell the rising tide of road rage, since I'm sure that this is partly to do with all of the aggressive music being blasted by the car audio systems.
John, great thread! Hadn't seen this before. Interesting choice of word - "best." You could have used "favorite," like I probably would LOL.

Okay, on those long stretches of I-5 between Sacto and LA I'd have to agree with your choice of the Allman Brothers, especially Brothers and Sisters. Or the Eagles. Mainly because I drove that span regularly in the 70s and 80s and I wore out those cassettes. Or Toy Caldwell (Marshall Tucker). Wet Willie or Elvin Bishop. Maybe Norton Buffalo. Definitely Roy Buchanan. Brubeck, Getz, Jimmy Smith and lots of CTI jazz - Grover, Eric Gale, Ron Carter. Straight ahead stuff for an uninspiring stretch of highway.

Now I rarely drive those long distances, sticking mainly to well known roads here in the NW. For Chuckanut I'd prefer Hendrix, especially Electric Ladyland. For the Cochahalla I like speed music, from Dixie Dregs to Bill Frisell to Fabulous T-Birds, especially at night. Here on The Island it could be just about anything...

Those are the Best. And don't ever 'been there, done that' to me again...

Hah.
LOL!
C'mon Blaine, lighten up! I'm just messing with you.

Actually, I don't drive a whole lot anymore. I still enjoy The Allman Brothers, Skynard, Marshall Tucker, etc on long rides, especially in good weather. To be honest, and I hope this doesn't get my audionut card revoked, I listen to the news station during my daily 12 minute commute.

Sad......I must be getting old.......

PS: I think I used 'Best' because I was relatively new here and I was posting the thread in the 'Best Of' Forum. Your thread titled favorite is probably a better choice. There, does that make you happy?
Yeah, a tiny bit happier but that's a tough order to fill.

Best? Favorite? You say tomato, I say arugula. What were we talking about? Oh yeah, late night runs to Der Wienerschnitzel...

...during which I liked to listen to Foghat.
Goodnight Moon - Shivaree
Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Sinnerman - Nina Simone
Bohemian Like You - The Dandy Warhols
Freedom Highway (live) - Mavis Staples
Everything Is Avarage Nowadays - Kaiser Chiefs
Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye
Iron Man - Black Sabbath
Queen Bitch - David Bowie
Summer Cannibals - Patti Smith
You Get What You Give - New Radicals
A Harley Davidson double cd called 'Road Songs'
#7243-31324-2-3,
if there is a finer 'rock music' driving cd then I would like the name of it.
All 30 tracks are corking for the open road.
Here is the list of tracks to the Harley 'Road Songs' Cd.

1. Against the Wind - Bob Seger, Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
2. Fire on the Mountain - The Marshall Tucker Band
3. Let It Roll - Little Feat
4. Call Me the Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Statesboro Blues - The Allman Brothers Band
6. Green Grass & High Tides - Outlaws
7. Ridin' the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon
8. Bad Company - Bad Company
9. Wild Child - W.A.S.P.
10. Hot Blooded - Foreigner
11. 30 Days in the Hole - Humble Pie
12. That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd
13. Devil Went Down to Georgia - The Charlie Daniels Band
14. Born to Be Wild - Steppenwolf
15. Ballad of Easy Rider - The Byrds

1. Radar Love - Golden Earring
2. All Right Now - Free
3. Highway 49 - George Thorogood
4. I Can't Drive 55 - Sammy Hagar
5. Cat Scratch Fever - Ted Nugent
6. Hair of the Dog - Nazareth
7. Once Bitten Twice Shy - Great White
8. Sign of the Gypsy Queen - April Wine
9. Sacred Ground - Craig Chaquico
10. Ride the Tiger - Jefferson Starship
11. On the Road Again - Canned Heat
12. Weight - The Band
13. Rockin' Down the Highway
14. Ride Ride Ride - Foghat
15. Highway Lady - UFO
golly! thanks gawdbless! cool tracks, I think it's the new must-have for the road.
As soon as spring arrives and the car windows go down I crank up the 1st. Santana album. The Band "last Waltz follows and then some Dead.
I second Radar Love by Golden Earring, makes you want to put the pedal to the metal! Also like Deep Purples "Highway Star".
"Also like Deep Purples "Highway Star"

Its also great to sing and try to hit the wailing scream notes like Ian Gillan playing "Rock Band"!
This takes me back a few (!) years, but my most memorable experience driving to music was with "Equinox" from the "Coltrane's Sound" album. This was not pushing the speed limit, but settling back in the groove music... very "groovy"!
John Mayall.. Prisons on the road

Every street is choking
Looks like too much traffic on the road
No fun in driving
You wait in line forever just to go
Heavy roar of engines
Sitting in your prisons on the road

Everybody's rushing
Is it so important to be so
Where's it going to lead to
If all the rushing leads to moving slow
Heavy roar of engines

Poison from your engine
Merges with the air we've got to breathe
Look at that congestion
Don't it make you want to pack and leave
Thoughts you've been having

This was written circa 1970, we have gone from a prison to hell.

Bob
Kyuss- 'Welcome to Sky Valley' I drove the length and width of Montana for 3 years listening to that albim. There were others, but I always go back to that one for road trips.

-P
On a nice day, it's the top off and the playlist almost always starts with "Shoot to Thrill" by AC/DC, then "Roll with the Changes" REO Speedwagon, and "Alex Chilton" the Replacement. Only the radar dectector will keep that from getting you a ticket.