Who's your guitar daddy now?

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwt83O0Sk0&feature=related
Ag insider logo xs@2xknownothing
I've seen John Mayer live in concert twice and he is an INCREDIBLE guitar player! The first comment out of my mouth was "God, can that dude play the guitar."

If you get a chance to see him live...go!
i saw jeff beck last year in n.myrtle beach at the house of blues, might have been the best quitar show i have ever heard, i have seen, eric clapton 5 times, eric johnson, several times, lee rei????, stevie ray vaughn, dyanne allman, well you get it, i am an old man...i bet the mayer guy is great, i have seen him on quitar works on tv, itis always great to see and hear great players...it keep hope alive...in music....
George Gobel is my all time favorite.

Isn't John Mayer Van Morrison's hair dresser?
I don't get it - Dekay ?....was that an attempt at humour ? I still enjoy Mark Knopfler's style....JJ Cale is still one of the best at being laid back....odd that you mentioned Jeff Beck - dwhitt - as I have his new live disc at Ronnie Scott's playing now - that man is on a whole different level...I wish John Mayer would just let it rip as I think he really could - especially the blues. Throw in some Nils Lofgren that would be a nice afternoon of music for me at least
John Williams is the best technical guitarist (classical) I have seen. I saw Leo Kottke a few weeks later and he looked like an oaf in comparison.

I really liked Robin Trower live but Richard Thompson, Mark Knofler and Pete Townsend are darn good as well. It is hard to pick a favorite

I think SRV, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck are good but overrated for my taste

Buck Dharma is my favorite underdog - tasty licks he has
this is suppose to be entertaining isn't it.....we all seem to know in our own way, that no one is the best....it is always at that moment when you hear someone that it is enough to make you go...music is still alive.....i failed to mention ....bill frisell,,who?
Trey is awfully good and plays in a myriad of styles. I also think Beck (Jeff), Richard Betts, Steve Howe, Martin Barre, Derek Trucks, Robin Trower, and Keith are great. Picking from the "dead", Jerry, Duane, Jimi, Zappa and Harrison are my guys. Page and Davies are THE riffmeisters, but a bit sloppy.
Garebear:

Out of the half dozen JM songs I've heard many of his licks come from a player that worked with Van Morrison for years.

His vocals recall Van Morrison as well.

The original work is much, much better.

Who doesn't like George Gobel?
I just got a blue ray player so I bought the live John Mayer BR disc to check out the audio side of things in the format. I couldn't name a single JM tune, but I know he's a pop star, dates pretty girls, and I had heard he could play some guitar, so I gave it a shot.

No doubt he has some technique and some passion, but his vocabulary and phrasing are really derivative. Dave Mason here, name your favorite '60s electric bluesman there. Compare his tone to Clapton or phrasing to Richard Thompson and there's no "there" there. He also lacks the "wit" of a Todd Rundgren or Bill Kirchen, who could otherwise be criticized on the same basis. JM is undoubtedly a fine player and I certainly wouldn't dismiss the guy, but -in the end- I found myself a bit disappointed.

My guitar hero list still includes RT, Lindsey Buckingham, David Hidalgo, Danny Gatton, and more.

Marty
Martykl, I'm sure you recognize that Mayer is a lot younger than the guys you hold him up to in comparison. Most young guitarists are imitators to a large degree until they find their own voice. I'm not a Mayer fan per se, frankly I'm never listened to him very much, but I can certainly recognize that he has the potential to be a great one. I will agree that his vocals don't do much for me.
Not bad, but not tasty...
Give me SRV, David Gilmore, Ritchie Blackmore, Johnny Winter anytime. Lately, I've been enjoying Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes.

Misha
This is freaky! I read this thread a few hrs. ago & was taking care of some paperwork & just went to watch some TV. When I turned it on there was this dude just wailing away on guitar on Austin City Limits. Turns out to be John Mayer.

He's good & likely to get better. Definitely sometime to take note of.
Lark:

I also like Allan Holdsworth's work.

He did a favor for a friend of mine years ago (N/C solo and gobs of time @ his home studio) in order that a self funded project/album could be completed after the initial funds/his life savings had been depleted.

Stand up guy and a talented musician.
I first saw John Mayer being interviewed on some TV special about music, or another musician, or something a while ago and I thought he was funny and sounded surprisingly thoughtful. Then I saw him on the Dave Chappelle Show, and the two of them cracked me up - but I still thought he was just basically a bubble gum pop singer.

Then I saw him on the 2004 Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD and I was completely blown away - not so much with his technical prowess, but by the fact that this shinny white kid seemed to be channeling the spirits of several dead ax men at once. Nobody on the entire Festival DVD got under my skin the way his playing did. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPmTgPvx28

I also really enjoyed Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, John McLaughlin and Joe Walsh on the disk, and most of the other players really - but I keep coming back to Mayer and thinking he's onto something.

I have seen a lot of great electric guitar players live including Page, Beck, Barre, Howe, Gilmore, McLaughlin, Di meola, Morse, Winter, Garcia, Buckingham, Hooker, Belew, Hidalgo, Zappa, Vai and that guy that plays with Van Morrison too, just to name the ones I can think of off the top. So is Mayer Derivative? Sure. But a surprising amount of soul comes out of the amps driven by this unlikely source. Maybe the main reason I like his playing so much is that the player he is borrowing most heavily from is Jimi Hendrix - and you can't beat that with an ax or a stick...
The three “J”s (Jimi, Jimmy & Johnny) and EC.
Another that died far too young, Jim Croce’s sideman
Maury Muehleisen.
And a certified guitar goddess, Elena Papandreou.
I saw Elena play live at Northwestern University and could not believe my eyes (or ears). Perfection.
though there are lots of talented young guitarists, davey knowles from BACK DOOR SLAM stands alone (in 'his' generation) as a guitar 'god'....and yes i've seen them all....he rivals beck, clapton, kossoff, cippolina, and...yes, hendrix in their heyday....mayer and all the three-name-kids could taken lessons from davey(who just turned 21).....eddie kramer is working on their next record, and townshend and daltrey asked them to play dates with the who.
I dare anyone to not like this. You can hear where Beck got a lot from Buchanan in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXoA7JjDU9g&feature=related&fmt=18
We've seen Coco Montoya twice in the last two years and every time his chops are blistering hot. Something about his style.. he's just so relaxed yet plays intuitively with natural riffs that speak to me like this is true blues.

Also recently saw Nato Manji - this guy is really something special. And his band is smoken' as well.

Santana always speaks to me and was in top form on his summer tour last year.

B.B in his day was unbelievable. Pete still has it. Mark Knopfler has to be one of the most creative and powerful axemen alive.

Of course no one will ever come close to Jerry but that is due primarily to all the magical nights we partied together.
Out of all these responses no one mentioned Roy Buchanan?

I saw him warm up for Robin Trower @ the Capital theater in Passaic NJ in the mid 80's and he blew Trower off the stage! It was the best guitar show I have ever seen and likely ever will.
Completely different genre from anyone mentioned so far, and maybe not to everyone's taste, but for both technical virtuosity and emotionality it's hard to beat Paco De Lucía. His album 'Siroco' is a great place to start.
To those who noted Mayer is young and has great potential once he finds his own voice ...

Completely agreed.

I also agree that he is a suprisingly charismatic kid.

Marty
Rock and roll-Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton are way up there
Flamenco- Paco de Lucia, John Mcgloughlin, Al Dimeola, in that order
Blues-Buddy Guy...and there are others
Classical-John Williams solo, Sergio and Odaair Assad duo
New promising rock/pop/blues guitarist-John Mayer
I have many of the artist that are listed in my music library and enjoy the unique sound that each artist brings to the stage. I believe comparisons are as useful with musical artist as they are to sports athletes (never ending debate).
I am surprised the list has not included Jack White to this point as I find his versatility and style to push the envelope In todays music scene.
Stop calling Mayer NEW guys! His first album came out on a major label 10 years ago now. Ya'll are playing in to the stereotype that audiophiles care more about gear than music. Have you heard this other new Nirvana band yet?
"Stop calling Mayer NEW guys!"

He is relatively new compared to a lot of the old geezer guitar god names we are throwing out there.

For example, Justin Hayward is in his 60's now I believe as is Neil Young and probably Clapton, Beck, and most of the others as well.

Many of them can still play guitar as well or sometimes even better than they did when young. Practice does make perfect for this I think.

It is all relative......
John mayer is a well schooled kid from git cal.Wow alan holdsworth...yeah,scofeild still my fave for just out fun to listen to.....so many others.Carlos montoya is still my fave for incredible playing...ralph towner still in the game as far as i know?
Synth,

If you want a sense of how young Mayer is, check out his bandmates in the
JM Trio. I suspect that Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan are each twice his age.
In this company, he's a kid. He may be long in the tooth for a pop star, but
for a traditional blues guitarist, he's startlingly young.

As to stereotypes of audiophiles, it's only in the last few years that I learned
this guy was more than a top 40 heartthrob. That doesn't mean I care more
about gear than music, it means I care more about gear than shitty music. In
the case of JM, I was just late to the party in learning about his broader rep.

OTOH, Richard Thompson was younger than JM when he recorded
"Sloth", so maybe he should be further along in his development.

Marty

PS Jordan is great.
Chet Atkins & Michael Hedges. The latter’s “Aerial Boundaries”—specially on vinyl—is simply a staggering tour de force of performance and sound. Atkins couldn't play an ugly sound even if tortured to do so.

8^(
"Atkins couldn't play an ugly sound even if tortured to do so."

That's a great line! I'd have to agree with that!

I think he was the first guitar player I took notice of on records when I was a kid and he set a high standard
Funny someone should mention audiophiles at all in this thread, because John Mayer's studio albums are not the best produced by a long shot. The sound is often over saturated and a bit fuzzy - take the sonic peaks on Axis Bold as Love on the "Continuum" disk - not good. I sold my copy of "Heavier Things" because it just didn't sound very good on my system and I don't think the material is as strong as his other releases. For somebody who cares about music as much as he appears to - the lack of finesse in the studio is surprising to me. I still think he plays the guitar like ringing a bell, but most of his stuff is not produced for audiophiles, its more for teenage girls' with iPods...
try this for artistry, virtuosity, and shear beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZJwZYjh4bY
Sfar & Jallen:
Undoubtably Paco is THE flamenco guitartist, however, carlos montoya & paco pena are worthy candidates, check them out. Also, have you guys heard the heir apparent,
el nino josele?
Clapton is the most overrated guitarist on the planet... Check out Roy Buchanan.
Well, all that is nice but you can't get away from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE80W5xYbTI&NR=1

Ultimate Daddy. No pedels but wah wah.

C YA