AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Music > 1127506730  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This
  Music for Riding a Storm Out?
bout to sit down to 48rs in the house, located in west houston.

unfortunately i keep thinking of REO Speedwagon "Ridinng the Storm Out", but God they suck.

Maybe some Doors, good mood music. Once it passes, I'll probaby put on some mid 60 beatles. Anything I should consider?

(got ray charles on for now, probably go to something else now that a purty day is starting to get ugly)

rhyno
Rhyno  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-23-05
  Responses (1-67 of 67)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

09-23-05   I don't know what's worse, that someone would post such a th ...   Raquel

09-23-05   Ray charles, "hit the road jack"   Jea48

09-23-05   Are you in texas? although i sincerely hope this doesn't ha ...   Ewha

09-23-05   Rhyno, just wanted to add, nice audio system you have there ...   Jea48

09-23-05   Rachel obviously you speak without knowledge. so let me cor ...   Rhyno

09-23-05   No, you can rest assured that i would not be posting threads ...   Raquel

09-23-05   Rhyno...long time no talk. bet crumpers isn't sorry to be wa ...   Rackon

09-23-05   09-23-05: raquel "no, you can rest assured that i would ...   Jea48

09-23-05   Rachel you don't get it, do you? loss of power is irrelev ...   Rhyno

09-23-05   Dylan's "high water" jonny cash's " how high' ...   Santanaali

09-23-05   "riders on the storm"-doors "stormy monday&q ...   Azjake

09-23-05   Atta boy raquel - go for the jugular. best of luck rhyno.   Snofun3

09-23-05   rhyno take it easy :) and steve ray is always good. also - n ...   Pitdog75

09-23-05   Rhyno, thoughts are with you ... it looks like the storm wi ...   Freejazz

09-23-05   Like a hurricane by neil young sounds about right. how about ...   Qdrone

09-23-05   Be safe rhyno. i will take care of your old entec subwoofer ...   Docknow

09-23-05   Try the doors-- "riders on the storm". good luck   Jig

09-23-05   Jea48: i was outraged at first, but am now quite amused by t ...   Raquel

09-23-05   The johnny cash rec is actually "5 feet high & rising&q ...   Rhyno

09-23-05   i don't know what's worse, that someone would post such a th ...   Wc65mustang

09-23-05   What is your problem raquel??? my mother used to say, " ...   Perfectionist

09-23-05   How abut derek and the dominoes let it rain? allman bros st ...   Dlr

09-23-05   Rhyno, gee rhyno, does that apply to your friends in dall ...   Albertporter

09-23-05   King crimson's "in the wake of poseiden".   Rzemkoski

09-23-05   Another one just popped in my brain-- weather report "h ...   Jig

09-23-05   Another one i had to pull out: led zeppelin: when the levee ...   Rhyno

09-23-05   Stevie ray ,,the sky is crying,,,,,,,,,,ive been thru a few ...   Raytheprinter

09-23-05   Raquel,,,,why are you so mean?   Raytheprinter

09-23-05   Ccr, "bad moon rising" "who'll stop rain&qu ...   Jea48

09-24-05   Jackson browne- after the delute.   Swampwalker

09-23-05   How about "it's alright now" by free and "30 ...   Aunt_tana

09-23-05   How about jackson browne's before the deluge   Antmo

09-23-05   Rhyno: raquel's questionable comments aside, just listen to ...   Hooper

09-23-05   Definitely "riders on the storm" the doors. someth ...   Lokie

09-24-05   Quiet storm - sade   bday0000@

09-24-05   Peter gabriels "here comes the flood"   Scotty_910

09-24-05   I am going to try to explain this as best i can: posting a t ...   Raquel

09-24-05   Raquel writes: i understand some aspects of your post (altho ...   Metralla

09-24-05   Raquel,i dont think anyone here is trying to make any less o ...   Raytheprinter

09-24-05: Jea48
Rhyno, If you are reading these posts, that means you have power, give us a status report....

Jim

Jea48  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-24-05: C5150
Raquel

I'm sorry that you see us that way.

You do however have that right,and we in the hi-fi community still love you for your input .

Stay strong

C5150  (Answers | This Thread)

09-24-05: Stanhifi
Raquel maybe you should get your butt down to your parents' place or your friend's house and dig in instead of bumping your gums here. Your hot air would be quite at home down there.
Stanhifi  (Answers | This Thread)

09-24-05: Rhyno
west side of houston is just fine. i unplugged everything last night as it was rolling in, but we never lost power (!), and i don't think i got even 1" of rain. wind gusts can be heard, but slept like a baby. as did my brother (10mi east) and parents (20mi north). took a look around this AM outside; not even 1 tree branch down on my block.

these houstonians should be ashamed of themselves: first they rush to evacuate unnecessarily, and now the news is showing cars backing up on INBOUND traffic (i.e. returning home), when the mayor is on every local TV / Radio station begging people to stay away a few days so as to give EMT room / resources to work unobstructed (there's still winds up to 75mph in select areas of town, with obvious attendant risk to motorists). but no, houstonians got to rush back now that their own personal asses are not in danger, to hell w/ those poor folks on the LA/TX border who need the real help.

raquel, you really should get a grip. not all people share the same risk in a hurricane. for those with a marginal risk, such as myself, i and my fellow low-risk citizens are a menace to those who are at risk. i'm not making light of a hurricane; i am trying to clarify that there is a stratification of risk that people face with natural disasters, and for most in houston, ESPECIALLY those on the NW / W side, it was marginal. coastal residents anywhere in LA/TX suffer a much greater risk than i, and rightly should evacuate, and not be interrupted or obstructed by pansy-assed sheeple that evacuate unnecessarily. once you grasp that point, you'll understand my position, and why my wife & i had every intention to ride the storm out, and make the best of it (steaks on the grille tonight, windows unboarded tomorrow).

(fwiw, we had planned to evacuate at 3am Fri if the storm turned towards us, but with the day's data under analysis, it became a 3 sigma event)

live led zeppelin (how the west was won) up soon. great live set. once my wife gets up (she barely slept, but that's routine) i may put on Sgt Peppers & see how she takes "lovely rita" & SRV "texas flood"----almost a palpable sense of relief on the block / local TV at this point. the bitch rita finally came in, but really, she sputtered out quite a bit and did everyone in her path a great favor by losing a LOT of steam over the gulf coastal area and turning east (though i have a hard time in taking comfort in her turn, as my benefit is someone else's loss).

this could've been a lot worse; what i fear most now is not for rita fallout, but for rita to deflect attention from those poor people in NO who lost everything, and still have nothing---not even time on the evening news any longer.

rhyno

Rhyno  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-24-05: Rhyno
freejazz

totally w/ you on the pet issue. my wife & i have 2 cats, and it was never a consideration---we share the same fate, no matter what. does it color our actions? sure! we lectured a neighbor before she (unnecessarily) evacuated that she better have water available for her dog and she was welcome to some of our bottled H2O if needed for the pup.

any person who'd leave a pet in a disaster is an animal themselves.

rhyno

09-24-05: C5150
Stan to the rescue as usual
C5150  (Answers | This Thread)

09-24-05: Rackon
Hey Rhyno, glad to see the worst avoided you.

In celebration, how about Peter Gabriel's "Here Comes The Flood"?

My critters are family members. When I took them into my family, I also took on the obligation for their well-being. Period.

Rackon  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

12-06-05: Qdrone
Loving a Hurricane by John Hiatt is another storm related song.
Qdrone  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-12-08: Rhyno
thinking about this topic again...

local record store (the vinal edge) sent an email & rec'd 'hunky dory' by david bowie

i'm going for live dead, one from the vault.

anything else? sure hope i keep power, else its onto the guitar by candlelight (sure wish i had an acoustic right now).

(pray for those on the coast who stayed. they're goners)

09-12-08: Stltrains
Hopping and praying all will be ok in the Houston area.
Savoy Brown Hell Bound Train
Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood

Stltrains  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-12-08: Cruz123
Galveston Flood by Tom Rush seems to be the obvious choice. Hopefully these lyrics don't come true. Good luck to all in the path.

http://www.bluegrasslyrics.com/all_song.cfm-recordID=sp490.htm

Cruz123  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-13-08: Gawdbless
The Tide is high- Blondie
Gawdbless  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-13-08: Stltrains
This is one the unfortunately came true for us.
Pot Liquor Levee Blues. This lp is recorded very well, Louisiana group from the early 70s.

09-13-08: Mapman
Yeah, well "Riders On the Storm" would seem to be the answer.

Try "Fear Of a Blank Planet" by Porcupine Tree maybe. The hurricane may not seem so bad in comparison.

By the way, I really do like that album....but the subject matter is very dark and depressing in nature.

Mapman  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-13-08: Slothman
Townes Van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas
Slothman  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-13-08: Abucktwoeighty
Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Who'll stop the rain?"
Abucktwoeighty  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-13-08: Swampwalker
Jackson Browne- " Before the deluge"
Swampwalker  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-14-08: Stevecham
Any CCR
Stevecham  (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-14-08: Learsfool
Yikes! Turn your system OFF during a storm!!!
Learsfool  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-14-08: Rx8man
You might get a shockingly liquid sound !!!
Rx8man  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-17-08: 04rdking
Well, don't know about everyone else here, but my system gets unplugged when there's a storm.....
04rdking  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-17-08: Mcgarick
Take me to the river,dip me in the water...
Mcgarick  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-19-08: Cleaneduphippy
Les Brers in A Minor - The Allman Brothers Band
Cleaneduphippy  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-29-08: Cajunpepe
I lost $45,000 in gear to Katrina---ever see a pair of JM Lab Alto Utopias with toxic water above the Beryllium tweeter? MC 501s with 5 ft. of water covering them?

Glad to hear you had no damage. I had about $30,000 in damage from Hurricane Gustav a few weeks ago. i guess there goes the new MC 2301s I've been eyeing. Allstate only covers so much.

Pepe

Cajunpepe  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-29-08: Albertporter
Cajunpepe,

You've had more than your share of misfortune. My heart goes out to you. Those are terrible losses, both financially and emotionally.

Albertporter  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-29-08: Freewaywilly
I would listen to Dear Prudence from the White Album. If that was the last song that I ever heard then I would die happy. If I got scared then I would listen to Silent Night.
Freewaywilly  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

09-30-08: Stltrains
Cajunpepe if you are ever passing through the New Orleans area get in touch and give a listen to what replaced my Katrina lossed system.

We are riding out the storms with some great classic rock and roll.

Ahhheee

09-30-08: Miner42
Well, I, too live west of Houston in Katy. I did receive some damage (all electronics are OK) but nothing that I can't deal with. I did not board up - I could feel the storm wanting to suck out my windows. I lost power 9:30 Friday night and was not able to follow the storm. At that time it had not made its northerly turn and we were expecting the worse. I kept in touch with friends in Dallas hourly on the track of the storm. This storm could not have taken a worse to harm Houston - right up the ship channel. A Cat 2 (high)/3 (low) with a Cat 4 surge. I was without power for only 21 hrs.

Rhyno - would just love to audition you sytem sometime. A fellow co-worker of mine just sold one of Bob Crump's designed preamps. A very nice piece of equipment but out of my range of affordability. Glad you are OK.

Miner42  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password