What music do you want to play really loud?

What music do you want to crank up your system for?
I want to know the title and the artist, any type of music.
My choice is The Wall by Pink Floyd.
royy
Easy. Mahler's 2nd Symphony (with the ending of the 8th close in the running).
Recording? Not so easy. I have about 8 different versions, but probably because it was the first version I owned, I still prefer Bernstein with NYP. The louder the better!!
Honky Tonk Women by the Stones. First I play the original studio cut, then I follow with the live concert version from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. That first guitar chord on the concert version is really killer, especially cranked way up like a concert performance.
Almost anything when the mood takes me. And the wife and neighbours are out.............................or I have had a skin full of ale.NB skin full overrides all other considerations.

Jim
Post removed 
i just listened to the wall this morning for the first time in like 10 years (loud!) because i havn't heard it on my new system. it left me paralyzed!
Messiaen--Turangalila and Stravinsky--Rite of Spring: Crank it up and hold on to your head!
Post removed 
The first movement of La Bohemme and the last movement of Mahlers 2d symphony.
Rage Against the Machine "The Battle of Los Angeles"

or

Project Wyze "Misfits, Liars...
Most all "metal" sounds best at pounding volumes. One Classical piece that i've found that sounds great with peaks at your seated listening position of appr 110 dB's is Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, particularly "Allegro Molto". The dynamic contrasts of this piece are nothing less than stupendous. Sean
>
Post removed 
John Mellencamp- Crumblin' Down, Pink Houses
Joe Cocker- Seven Days
U 2- Silver and Gold
Midnight Oil- Beds Are Burning
Page and Plant-Nobody's Fault But Mine
Gregg Allman- Will The Circle Be Unbroken
"The Sound of Glory"...SACD...Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Several hundred voices, orchestra, monster organ. This can never sound too loud.

Sousa marches also sound good loud.

On the other hand, I sometimes find myself playing music like a violin concerto too loud. The total SPL is not too loud, but I suddenly realize that, because of the way the recording has been mixed, the solo violin is louder than any real violin can play.
These days, very little.

At age 20-21 it was any one of the first five Chicago albums, Rolling Stones' "Some Girls" or "Let it Bleed", miscellaneous Moody Blues, Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick", ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery", maybe some America or ELO, while I was trying to stay awake at 2AM typing up a paper due the next day. With a couple of Miller's, worked like a charm.

Hmmm. Obviously haven't done that in a while. Have to try it again when the rest of the family is out.
Pink Floyd "Animals" the whole thing.
Midge Ure "Pure"
Carl Orf "Carmina Burana"
Alice Cooper The box set
Jethro Tull "Crest of the Knave"
According to my wife there are a lot more, but I can't think of them now.
Tvad: I'm far from an expert as far as Classical music goes. I haven't heard a million different versions of this piece to make comparisons to, but i know what i like and i like this one. I'm sure that there are some here that can provide several tips as to very fine recordings of this masterful work that i don't even know exist.

Having said that, someone that is not familiar with this piece might want to give the all digital ( digital recording, digital mixing, digital mastering ) from Deutsche Grammophon a try. I can't directly link to the specific recording due to the way that they have their website set up, but you can do a search for either of the following. It might be easier to cut and paste either of these into their search engines, so for your convenience, do that before clicking on the link.

Scheherazade Chung

OR

Deutsch Grammophon
ZZ TOP "waiting for the bus" + "Jesus left Chicago" + since its on the CD also "blue jean blues"
The Who - "Who's Next, "Quadrophenia"

Stones - "Jumping Jack Flash","Gimme Shelter."

Doors - "Morrison Hotel", or "LA Woman"

Bowie - "Young Americans"

Robin Trower - "Bridge of Sighs"

Audioslave - "Audioslave"

Allman Brothers - "Eat a Peach", "Live at Fillmore East", "Live 1st and 2nd set", "Hit the Note"

Zappa - "Apostrophe/Overnite sensation", "Roxy & Elsewhere."

Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Give it away."

Free - "Molten Gold Anthology"

Jimi Hendrix - "Smash Hits."

Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Couldn't Stand the weather."

Talking Heads - "Burnin down the house."

Cream - "Disreali Gears."

Son Volt - "Wide string tremola."

Rory Gallagher - "Calling Card."

Delbert Mclinton - "Live" 2-cd set.

Savoy Brown - "Street Corner Talking."

Luther Allison - "Live in Chicago."
"Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang" - the soundtrack! Man, when Dick Van Dycke and Sally Ann Howes hit those high notes with the pre-amp cranked all the way up to '11' there's always a few windows that need replacing the next day. Yani is a close contender, but the accoustics aren't quite as good on his albums. And then there's those kids, and the flying car that floats like a boat too! And the joyful, gleeful singing that goes right to your very core.....it's like they're all right there in your listening room; the recording is THAT good! No need to wait for the MFSL release that is forthcoming, no doubt. You heavy-metal fans don't have any idea what you're missing!

Marco
You mean really, really, obscenely, get-the-police-called-on-you loud? :)

"Limelight" by Rush.

-HC
Springsteen - Born to Run - born to be played loud,
Springsteen - Promised Land
Grateful Dead - Franklins Tower, Fire on the Mountain
Allman Brothers - Blue Sky from Evening w the Allman Bro's

a little different genre...

I really enjoy Schubert's 9th with the volume turned way up
I'm going over Nrchy's house! His wife is not an attenuator! I applaude her, especially for their "Animals" (Pink Floyd) pick and Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana". (Our family theme song). Both are untouchable, although I do find that I play the Doors "Strange Days" at higher volumes.

Too add to the lists, you should hear Bizet "Carmen", Jack Johnson, Damien Rice "O", and the past three Flaming Lips albunms at higher volumes.
FRANK ZAPPA,THE THEME FROM THE 3RD MOVEMENT OF SINISTER FOOTWEAR FROM THE YOU ARE WHAT YOU IS ALBUM ALSO ZAPPA'S
THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS FEATURING DALE BOZZIO FROM ZOOT ALURES,THE 10 MINUTE ORGASM DALE BOZZIO HAS IN THE SONG IS GREAT.
Tower of Power - What is Hip and Oakland Zone

Cold Blood - First taste of Sin

Blood Sweat & Tears - New Blood

Liquid Soul

Gino Vannelli - Powerful People

Gladiator, Titanic and Robin Hood soundtracks

Classical:
Ron Nielsen - Holidays & Epiphnanies
Stravinsky - Rite of Spring
Eiji Oue, Reference Recordings - many
Respighi Feste Romane - MFSL UHQR - Maazel
Marco, did you keep some albums back? Was Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang one of them? Damn!
Praxis "Transmutation"(Bill Laswell, Brain, Buckethead...)
Painkiller,
King Crimson's "Starless..."
Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Anything by Art Blakey

The Allman Brothers Band - The Allman Brothers Band

Grand Funk Railroad - The Live 1971 Tour

The first five albums by Santana

Duke Ellington - Live at Newport 1956
Second the vote for Electric Ladyland (esp. All Along the Watchtower). Add the XXX soundtrack. Beethoven's 5th and 9th. Led Zep's first album.
Mt10425 - It really wasn't intentional! I'd left that one LP hiding in my Kenner Close-N'-Play and forgot all about it! If you want to drive back from Missoula you can pick it up. I'm sure the SACD will be coming out soon!

Marco

PS Hope you're enjoying all the OTHER LP's!!!
King Crimson - The Power to Believe. I love it when they transition from very quiet passages to very loud.