Your ONE all time favorite love song?

For me it's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack, from her CD "Softly with These Songs, the Best of Roberta Flack", on Atlantic. I'm looking for LOVE SONGS. Thanks and Cheers. Craig
garfish
It varies.

Johnny Hartman singing "My One and Only Love" (with John Coltrane on tenor saxophone) is one of many perennial favorites ...
If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot
Colour My World - Chicago
Countryside With You - Randy Weeks
"In My Life" by The Beatles, (Lennon/McCartney), first released on Rubber Soul, Dec 3, 1965.
"Baby I'm Yours" by Barbara Lewis (her "Hello Stranger" is even better, but not a typical love song).
Only ONE? Try "Angel Eyes" by Jeff Healy Band; "Still Got the Blues for You"- Gary Moore; Marc Cohn- "True Companion"; Sade- "No Ordinary Love"..... Kinda like the potato chip commercial.... I couldn't have just one... And they all sound good on a worthy system!
The Art of Noise - Moments in Love // Play that and you will get a good FACE SUCKING!!
Hifiho is right-- one is tough! I'm also really big on Otis Redding's " I've Been Loving You Too Long", Buddy Guy's "Black Night is Falling", and also his "Let Me Show You".

Also, Koko Taylor "Walking the Backstreets", and I've always liked "I Will Always Love You"-- both Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston have done beautiful versions. Being an ol' dog, Elvis singing "Love Me Tender" is a favorite too. Lots of good choices, I'm going to have to copy this thread and start looking around. Cheers. Craig
Craig, "First Time" was, is really nice. You're a real softy.

Mine is Barbara Keith's The Road I Took To You.

Another kind of quirky favorite of mine is Wendy Waldman's Mad Mad Me.

Paul
Mejames - great choice. 15 yrs old and playing air guitar to that song played on my first stereo - memories that will never fade. I haven't heard that song for a long time but I can still play that guitar solo in my head anytime.
With much deference to Albert's choice, I'll go with Herman Hupfeld's ageless standard from Casablanca "As Time Goes By", and give honorable mention to Al Green's "Let's Stay Together". As with "In My Life" though, neither of these are actually just straightfoward love songs in the mold of say, Bernstein and Sondheim's "Maria" from West Side Story, or Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine of My Life", to pick a couple of songs out of the air, but are all the more powerful for the difficulties they acknowledge must be overcome. Of course the question's loaded to begin with, but I think the real point is that from the unabashed simplicity of Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue", to that song's (and artist's) complexly modern (modernly complex? Nah - most modern love songs aren't complex compared to "ATGB") doppelganger "Alison" by Elvis Costello, a great love song always remains a great song, period.
"Suavecito" by Malo, which featured Carlos Santana's little brother back in 1972. When you hear this song you will know where Sugar Ray got some of their material.
Led Zep "Since i've Been loving you" My all time Favorite
Some selection i Still Played:
Love song"Elton John" We're all alone "Boz Scaggs"
At Seventen "Janis Ian" If & aubrey "Bread" Still Crazy
after all this Years "Paul Simon" You're My Everything
"Santa Esmeralda" Still lovin you "Scorpion" I Won't last
the a Day Without you "Paul Williams" Still "commodores"
You Light up My Life "Debbie Boone" Please be with me "Eric
Clapton Love hurt "Nazareth" Honey Bobby Goldsboro
"The Look of Love" by Dusty Springfield reminds me of when I was young and my first real love. Music is made more important for each of us by its circumstances.
Many years ago Barbara Walters interviewed Lionel Ritchey and asked him after a date when you get home what do you put on the record player and his answer was I put on Johnny Mathis just like everyone else,My choice is "The Twelfth of Never" a wonderful song beautifully done
Garfish- Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is actually from the album "First Take", which a superb album. Edited versions of the song appeared later in a couple of "best of" releases, including the LP "The Best of Roberta Flack" as well as your "Softly..." CD. The recordings are much better on LP than CD. If you get an opportunity, check out "First Take".

Regards
Jim
"Let's Get it On" by Marvin. I've been listening to this song since high school and I still love it.

Gots to agree with Albert on this one. But I also have a soft spot for "Angie" and "Wild Horses" by the Stones. Oh, the memories these songs conjure...

Via Delarosa by Sandi Patti You won`t find a greater love elsewhere. And it it a song about that love.
I honestly do not think that there is a more perfect love song than Depeche Mode's 'Somebody'. I'm not much of a fan of electronica or pop music, but it's as though this song says everything that you could ever possibly need to say in a love song, and it does it in a beautifully musical way.

Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujia isn't bad, either.

vc
I guess I'm blessed that in my 50 years THREE women have told me that I "Make Love Like A God", but they didn't really sing it on-key... Wish one of them was my wife...what is it with these NY intellectual jewesses, eh? OK, maybe it's my SSRI....Happy Thanksgiving and Hannukah to all!
Art Garfunkel's version of "I Only Have Eyes for You" written by Neil Sedaka. Also Joni Mitchell's "All I Want". I also agree with many of the above.
Madonna: Skin. It was the beginning of a relationship in which should have never been. A friendship between two people who could never not desire more. That in which I should have never allowed and I may never live down. I ran into her at the mall a few days ago,the first time in nearly two years. I was with my family, and she with hers. I felt her stare and when I realized who it was we both just stood there as if we'd seen ghosts saying nothing. What is there to say?.......Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Do I know you from somewhere?

Why do you leave me wanting more?

Why do all the things I say sound like the stupid things I've said before?

Kiss me I'm dying.

Put your hands on my skin.

I close my eyes.

I need to make a connection.
"We always did feel the same

We just saw it from a different point of view...

Tangled up in blue."

Cheers!

Quin
Jimbo3-- thanks for the reminder that Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I say Your Face" was originally released on the LP "First Take"-- that I owned at one time, but regretably it disappeared along with the rest of my record collection.

Paulwp politely called me a "softy", and it's true, but it seems I'm in good company here on A'Gon regarding love songs;>). Cheers. Craig
"The Greatest Discovery" Elton John, awesome live version on the "Live in Australia" record. Essentially the song is about a young child meeting his/her sibling for the first time. Can't beat that.
My all time favorites are love never dies parts I,II,III by Apoptygma Bezerk.
"At Last" - Etta James did the original version and there is a spectacular cut by Eva Cassidy.