AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Cables > 1296055501  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

Nordost Frey vs Audience Au24e interconnect
Hi, I'm considering replacing my Nordost Frey XLR IC's with the AU24e. I'm looking for a natural and detailed sound. Unfortunately I cannot audition the Au24e but could take a chance as my speaker cables are AU24e and like the sound a lot.

My equipment:
Mcintosh MA7000 integrated
Olive 4HD music server
PS Audio DAC LINK III (Cullen Stage IV)
B&W 804D speakers
AU24e speaker cable
Iluminati D-60 digital SPDIF

Thanks.
Gustavog  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

01-26-11
  Responses (1-28 of 28)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

01-26-11   Did you try the cable company? they have a lot of cables to ...   Mechans

01-26-11   Thanks mechan. unfortunately, the cable co. would not be an ...   Gustavog

01-26-11   I run 'em both. frey xlr ic's dac/pre and pre/amp; au24 spe ...   Mjmch2003

01-26-11   Oops, i see you are running au24 cable also. hmm..i wonder i ...   Mjmch2003

01-26-11: Bjesien
I've owned the Frey and Au in different systems so it is difficult to give you the AB comparisons you are looking for. I can say that my complete E series, when completed, sounded amazing with Reynaud Emeraudes and whatever tubes they were hooked to. The best synergy came when all IC's PC's and speaker cables were AU.

I later decided to go with a Vandersteen Model 5 and ended up selling off most of the Au cables, speaker cables being the main reason, and I now have Frey interconnects. Only trouble is I bought Anticables for the speakers just to get started and they are the weak link. I'm tempted to go with either Frey or Au for the speaker cables but the Vandersteen speakers have a lame 1976 spade termination that requires a 1/4 inch spade that no person will ever want to buy even at 1/2 retail.

I don't mean to ramble but just want to give you an idea of where I am at. If I were you I would first try the Au since you already have the speaker cables. Add some "E" PC's over time and you will most likely be happy.

FWIW the Nordost line sometimes gets a bad rap of being bright. I think if the power source is well addressed, and the components are neutral, Nordost cables can really add a dimension and refinement that is not easy to come by with any cable regardless of price or position in the lineup. Also delicacy and air can easily translate to bright if a system is lean to begin with.

Bjesien  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

01-27-11   Interesting, i'll be interested to read how this shakes out. ...   Mjmch2003

01-28-11: Mjmch2003
On the Frey, I beg to differ on this "brightness" thing. What I notice, after break-in, is a lot of slam, dynamics, low end, and smooth highs. I run the Frey XLR's. All that definition that Bjesien mentioned is in there. Maybe people who were listening to SPM or the first version of Red Dawn, back in the early 90s, came up with this "bright" stuff, but it has not been then case in the Norse series to me, with this ONE ecxeption: speaker cable/amp matching is crutial with Nordost speaker cables. If you have an amp thst puts out a great mid, and is not considered "boom boom" (think PASS, Mcinstosh, Bryston), then you are goning to think it's the Nordost's fault for not driving your speaker's woofer's when you are playing Tool or Slipknot, etc. Or Diana Krall or whatever it is you want your neighbors to feel.
Mjmch2003  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

01-28-11   Hmm, i realize it is a bit unfair to label the frey's sound ...   Gustavog

01-28-11   let us know how it shakes out. i'm psyched to hear your th ...   Mjmch2003

02-01-11   I just bought some au24s to compare...will circle back in a ...   Mjmch2003

02-01-11   I can tell you the spm cables are much more laid back than t ...   Coxhaus

02-01-11   Mjmch2003, my guess is that if you have a speaker that has f ...   Bjesien

02-01-11: Pep21
I have never viewed Nordost as "Bright".
"Lean" maybe but detailed and fast.'
IMHO Nordost is damn hard to beat.
When you combine the fact that Nordost sounds better in say 90% of the systems they are put into, you can see that they bring the "synergy" to more systems than most cables are able too.
Bright? I have not seen that!
Lean? I have seen, but a quick volume adjustment gave me second thoughts.
Detailed, extended, and PRAT? Absolutely!
My favorite cable as you can tell from the above post!

Pep21  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

02-01-11   Bjesien, i got the au24s. thanks for the analysis, you too ...   Mjmch2003

02-02-11: Acurus
I have owned both the Frey and the AU24, as well as the Nordost TYR, the Morrow Audio MA4 beats em both easily. See my review in the reviews section.
Acurus  (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

02-02-11: Coxhaus
I only commented because someone mentioned SPM as bright and I know the Frey is more so than the SPM. I am not using bright as a bad term just lean with a lot going on in the top portion of the music. The VALHALLA does the same thing in my system. In my system the Heimdall sounded better than the Frey. In terms of speaker cables none of the Nordost cables satisfied me and I was willing to spend a lot more money on what I wanted verses the Frey or Heimdall. The interconnect cables are the same way. I am using now Purist Dominus Praesto from my source to my preamp and then the SPM to my amps. The Dominus has the midrange and top which I like in my system. I am sure it is all system dependent. I just thought there was some mis-information about the SPM cables being spread.
Coxhaus  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

02-03-11: Mjmch2003
Agree on Nordost SC's, Coxhaus. My ribbon tweeters seem to mitigate brightness (dispursion?), so the impression I'm left with of the frey is definately NOT that it's bright at all. It's snappy, got drive, and great coherence.

02-13-11   I just popped in the au24s. breaking in over the next few d ...   Mjmch2003

02-15-11   Ok, first impressions: the au24 zeros in on instruments and ...   Mjmch2003

02-21-11   Mjmch2003, thanks a lot for your input. pity that it is so h ...   Gustavog

02-22-11   You bet. i'll pop the frey back in, tomorrow, and circle ba ...   Mjmch2003

02-22-11: Mjmch2003
Ok, my final verdict (played some Ulrich Schnauss, Judas Priest, Sword, Orb, Bela Fleck, Ocean Blue)....

If i listened at lower volumes, I slightly prefered the Audience, but at higher volumes, I overwhenlmingly preferred the Norsodt. Anything north of "25" on my Ayre preamp sounded so forward on my system.

About the same level of deep bass from both, the Nordost has more mid bass, the Audience has a snappy and clean mid range, the Nordosts highs are more evenly balanced among instruments and didn't tend to highlight some things like the Audience. The audiece was more fun with some recordings that have a lot of "bleepy" sounds that are panning the soundstage (orb).

04-19-11: Audioquest4life
Did you decide which one of these, Audience or Nordost, you prefer for long time listening versus just casual listening? Which do you prefer for listening the majority of the time? I am split down the middle on getting some cables from my phono pre to the preamp.

Right now I am using Audioquest Sky and highly modded Neotech pure silver cables with silver WBT's, alternating every once in a while. The idea of trying one of these cables in my system is appealing.
Thanks.

Ciao,
Audioquest4life

Audioquest4life  (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

04-27-11: Mjmch2003
Yes...I'd been away from my system, travelling, for about a month...I came back, sat down, and things just didn't sound rich, engaging or "right." I cranked up the volume and (I was using Pandor), thought the file compression (Adobe?) must be at fault. About 2 days later, I looked in back and saw that I had the Audience connected. So, I put the Nordost back in. POW. That did it. The harmonics came back, the soundstage was fleshed out, etc. Now, mind you, I run the AU24's and they are the BEST speaker cable I have had in my system. For whatever reason the AU24 XLR's just don't do it for me. Right now. I'm not going to sell them, though, because, in a different configuration, I can see them working...If I had PBS speakers or Vandersteens especially...I'd want the AU24's in (I think, this is hypothetical).

04-27-11: Mjmch2003
One more note...Althought the Audience might be percieved as having a lower noise floor and blacker background, I felt they had a tendency to push certain frequencies (instruments) to the front...this was cool is some ways, but it happened at the expense of the balance of the recording.

The Nordost gave me a more complete picture. Dynamics about the same with both.

06-23-11   I've had the frey interconnects as well as the au24 intercon ...   Jflemelin

06-23-11   Your cables cost more than you speakers. might want to re-p ...   Bjesien

07-06-11   I can see how the au24 might work with the vienna and tubes. ...   Mjmch2003

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password