Mapleshade cables?? v Anti Cables

Just getting into the cable upgrade path for my Mcintosh 5100 to Spendor S3/5 speakers and from CD player. On a budget to upgrade other pieces so I cant drop $500 on cable. Got a Mapleshade Audio catalog in the mail and was impressed by the claims made...have heard their cds and they were very clear. Had been thinking in terms of Speltz Anti Cable but now wondering about this new stuff. Anyone have expereience with either and have a reco? I am doing speakers and IC. Both now are low grade.
joekapahulu
I might consider all things bieng equal make sure both have a good return policy..This way if one doesn't work the other is another option....I do use Anti cables and am very happy.....
I went from real expensive wires to Speltz and can't be more please. They are very neutral and detailed....no downside that I can hear...they have a return policy that's generous.
Larry
I have both ; my impression is that the Mapleshade has a brighter , but very detailed, sound while the Anti is more laid back. I used two different amps with them. But as they say on TV, "Results Will Vary". it will depend on the rest of your system. If you are using tubes I would go with Mapleshade. I am selling both because I bought a used Cardas Gold Reference which is better than either as it dammed well ought to be considering the relative cost. Is the Mac the integrated from the 60s or a newer one with the same number? If it's the old one I would go with Anti. Don't get Mapleshade interconnects, they are unbelievably fragile. I got some from Morrow which seem good but ordered very short ones by mistake which has limited my testing. They also have a return policy, which I think is longer than Anti's.
I was just going to post this question and can't wait to hear some responses. I have used Nordost, Kimber, Audioquest, and Cardas cables and have recently switched from Cardas Golden Cross to Jim Speltz Anticables. I really like the Anticables and could have saved myself a great deal of money if I had tried them a few years ago. Before trying the Anticables, I always believed that Mapleshade was just over the top with their claims. Now I am not so sure!! Hopefully some folks out there have used both and can give us their opinions.
This just shows how cables can react to different systems. There is no worse cable on earth than Cardas Golden anything. They close in my system, add lots of grain, are brown in color, etc. I switched to Anti-Cables, my system now is a delight.
Stingreen, I think that the Golden Cross is an excellent sounding speaker cable, at least in my setup. I just wanted to try the Anticables because it was an inexpensive experiment and I found that I like them more. I also continue to use Cardas Golden Reference power cables without any downside. In the past, I have used both Nordost Shiva and Vishnu, Virtual Dynamics Nite II, Elrod David, Electraglide Epiphany X. As you say, you never know how a cable will react in a different system. In fact, I found in my system that the same power cable may sound great on my power amp or preamp and sound horrible on my cd player. Go Figure!!
Using a Mac 7270 and Merlins VSMM-MM,the anti cables have equaled all others I've used which are old Tara Space and Time,Cardas Neutral Ref and some Bryston stuff,love the sound and price.Going to try IC's next,how can I not?Good luck,Bob
I have basically every product/tweek Mapleshade offers in my system in one form or another with the exception of cable related items. I'm sure they sound good, but I am wary of them being unshielded and the fragility of the design. I may try them at some point and have to change my position, but for now I'm contend to stay with just the cones, bases, tweeks etc.
I've had both in my system, not to mention many much more expensive speaker cables.
The Anti-cables are a good value in their price range, better than Monster, Audioquest and Kimber products.
Overall, I didn't feel that the Speltz cables could take my system to the highest levels. At the time, I owned several much more expensive pairs of speaker cables.

Bottom line, I downsized and sold all of my big $$$ speaker cables. I then bought a used pair of Mapleshade (Clearview) Golden Double Helix Plus version. I have to say that I am VERY impressed. These cables offer deep bass, rich midrange, extended high's and good, though not great, soundstaging. In my mind they smoke the Anti-cables, and even compete with some mega-buck cables.

I can't tell you what to do...the Anti-cables do represent a very good value. However, if it was me, I'd stretch the budget a tad further for the Clearview products.

Cheers,
John
I use Mapleshade Golden Helix speaker cables. Nothing else comes close in my system, including Anti-cables, though they do have their fan base on these boards.
My Mapleshades were bright sounding for awhile, but eventually settled down. I wouldn't use in an already bright or zippy system.
Overall, I didn't feel that the Speltz cables could take my system to the highest levels - Jmcgrogan2-

Noo!!? .. why don't you try a pair?
I'm trying the Anti-Cables and I have put in garbage my Groneberg Quattro Reference speaker cable
You can't believe about transparence detail and quality over all of this Anti-Cables
Anti-cables sound wonderful. Not only do AC's sound great, but they're rediculously cheep as well. However, they are as stiff as coat hangers and are, in my opinion, difficult to work with. Try DNM. Around the same price, easier to handle, and more practical. Just my opinion...
11-28-08: Curio

Noo!!? .. why don't you try a pair?

Did try a pair, sent them back for a refund. Never received refund as Speltz's claimed they never received cables back. Whatever.

I'm not saying they were bad, they were OK. Surely not a bad deal for the money, but I have heard better cables for not a whole lot more $$$. Keep in mind, that's just IMHO. If you like them, that's great! It'll save you a few bucks.

Cheers,
John
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will give the ACs a try...the price is right for now and I think they will beat my 14 gauge wire for the speakers and the RS stuff dong IC duty.
hi,,i used cardas gold ref int,analysis solo crystal oval,audioquest colorado,morrow audio ref2 and when i got the anti they blew them all out of the water,,havent found a cable that is as OPEN.you cant go wrong with the anti,,im still breaking in some morrows there best int and speaker cable,,the anti are still more open,seem to be a very neutral wire,,,,teel
Teel,

I just had an interesting experience comparing a set of standard anti-cable ics and a set of Audio Art IC-3, connecting my Oppo 980 to my receiver. Actually, both had been unused for maybe more than a year. I had recently gotten a new HDMI reciever and Oppo 980 universal player and was listening to some CDs via HDMI. Not being happy with the sound quality using HDMI, and having heard that there could be jitter problems with HDMI for CD playback, I wanted to connect the Oppo via the analog outputs. I had not used either of these ics for quite some time, so I was intersted to see which would sound better with the Oppo. Based, I guess, on recent opinion and recommendations here on agon, I was fully expecting the anti-ics to offer the best sound.

I first hooked up the anti-ics, then the Audio Art IC-3. With the anti-ics, I thought well it doesn't really sound much different than the HDMI sound. But then when I inserted the Audio Art, it was immediately superior to me in every way. The highs were definitely clearer, but not harsh in any way. And it seemed like the mid range was better and the bass was more solid. Soundstage and imaging seemed significantly more defined. I felt at that point, the sound with the Audio Art analog connection was superior to letting the reciever decode via HDMI.

BTW, I have just about broken in a set of Morrow SP2 speaker cables on the upper terminals of my main speakers, and they are outstandingly clear and defined.

Just MHO...
Post removed