AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Cables > 1116597875  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

Silver vs. Cooper speakers cables
I want to know if silver cables are really better than cooper.
Up to the moment I use Audioquest Volcano biwire cooper cables but many people recomend move to silver for my Tannoy Speakers.
Pure silver or hibrid cooper silver ?
AQ silver cables are very expensive, but I can saw that there are many silver cables at very affordable price like Silver Audio or Analysis Plus.
Please let your opinions and recomendations.
Thanks.
Elduende14  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

05-20-05
  Responses (1-59 of 59)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

05-20-05: Danner
Whether or not silver is a good choice depends primarily on two factors. One, the quality of your components ahead of the cables should be quite refined since you might expose high end harshness that you didn't know was there (IMO). Second, your personal preference should be toward a detailed rather than a musical presentation (again IMO or let's make it IMHO).

I have Tannoy NFM8's in a project studio. Personally, I would not use silver speaker cables (biases evident from above comments). That said, I do use Silver Audio BL1 II in bulk to make my own interconnect cables for my guitar equipment to capture and maintain high end sparkle from the guitar strings. This cable is priced right, sounds good, and is very easy to work with when making your own cables with both balanced and single ended connectors.

Danner  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

05-20-05: Danner
Addendum: I also use Silver Audio Q10 and T14 silver coated copper speaker cables in my home theater system. This was a nice synergy between an NAD processor, 7 ASL Wave 8 amps, and Soliloquy speakers. My main tube-based system , however uses all copper 47 Labs OTL for interconnects and speaker wire. As I often hear from discussions on A'gon, it's often if not always about synergy among system components and personal taste.
Danner  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

05-20-05   Have all the people that are recommending your use of silver ...   Driver

05-20-05   In my experience with silver cables, generically one could e ...   Stehno

05-20-05   This is a tough question since silver can show the warts in ...   Chriskeating

05-20-05   My experience has shown me that no advice will do....you nee ...   Beemer

05-20-05   I totally agree with beemer,regardless if the cables are sil ...   Teajay

05-20-05   I have definite biases against pure silver, but a great love ...   Uru975

05-20-05   As you can see eluende14, you get about as many opinions as ...   Brianmgrarcom

05-20-05   Being an owner of two different levels of tannoy speakers (m ...   Mt10425

05-20-05   The only difference between copper and silver is that silver ...   Rsbeck

05-20-05   The design itself is infinitely more important than the comp ...   Audiofeil

05-20-05   Rsbeck, you are from a third person's perspective. would ...   Stehno

05-20-05   I think it is interesting that you would claim to already kn ...   Rsbeck

05-20-05   It all depends on the cable. both silver or copper can be ...   Philjolet

05-20-05   After having read through and/or participated in a number of ...   Boa2

05-20-05   Boa2 i think you should part your hair down the middle since ...   Nrchy

05-21-05   Baldness has a warm tube-like sound with mid-range bloom, sp ...   Rsbeck

05-21-05   That is so good to hear, rsbeck, because since beginning to ...   Boa2

05-21-05   You should do your hair in a litz braid, silly. kp   Killerpiglet

05-21-05   No killerpiglet, litz braids are bad for dynamics and imagin ...   Bigkidz

05-21-05   and a pair of krell mono block pictures thank goodness you'r ...   Wc65mustang

05-21-05   My hair is very short and combed towards the front, with the ...   Psychicanimal

05-21-05   I used to have hair; which cable sounds better with thinning ...   Uppermidfi

05-21-05   For thinning hair, air dielectric is a must.   Rsbeck

05-21-05   In the interest of full disclosure, i am the president of th ...   Boa2

05-21-05   Does paul speltz make something like that?   Uppermidfi

05-21-05: Aggielaw
This thread went from nearly belligerent to hilarious - very nice! Nrchy, great wit with the blockhead comment, and wisely directed at a bright gentleman.

Ironic that this thread should pop up now; this morning I sat down to listen to my newly-Platinumized RLD-1 from Steve McCormack. I heard what I assume must be "digital glare," so I played with speaker positioning and then for grins swapped out my Silver Audio Jetstream IC for an old QED Qnex2. The "glare" went away but I lost some detail. I'm using nOrh speakers which use Vifa drivers, though, which I suspect are dry and analytical.

I'm beginning to think I need to give up some detail for "fullness" in my system. :( I have to agree with the above posts; cables are like women - they're very reactive with what you connect them to!

So now I'm sitting here researching old cable threads to find a cable that is warm and full without sacrificing too much detail that is in my price range. :(

Aggielaw  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

05-21-05   I'll admit i use to use silver cables. upon reaching the age ...   Wc65mustang

05-21-05   That explains all the clucking in the background!   Nrchy

05-21-05   You know, if you look carefully, this thread asks us to comp ...   Rsbeck

05-21-05   Ok i will provide the answer. buy one pair of cooper and on ...   Bigkidz

05-21-05   i asked an assitant to connect a friend of mine named cooper ...   Wc65mustang

05-21-05   Obviously i misread the initial post. choose between gary c ...   Boa2

05-23-05   To answer teajay's question from way back in this thread. (s ...   Beemer

05-28-05   It depends on the system it is being put into.silver is fast ...   76doublebass

05-31-05   I feel that not enough attention is paid to aluminum.   Rsbeck

06-01-05   I feel that not enough attention is paid to aluminum. good p ...   Judy426

06-02-05   Wc65mustang, what happen ever happened to your steath " ...   S23chang

06-02-05   To answer the origonal question(my thinning hair is an issue ...   David12

06-02-05   Has anyone used gold cables? if so what do you think about t ...   Rooze

06-03-05   Gold made everything sound golden with glow. lack of attack ...   S23chang

06-03-05   Sm23chump still the best interconnect on the planet. how are ...   Wc65mustang

06-04-05   Gold has the benefit of being way more expensive than copper ...   Rsbeck

06-04-05   Aluminum, on the other hand, makes excellent siding.   Rsbeck

06-04-05   The price of gold has rocketed of late, the uk are trying to ...   Rooze

06-04-05   It is true that gold will not corrode like copper. gold has ...   Rsbeck

06-04-05   Off topic, but rsbeck's mention of amazing randi brought thi ...   Tvad

06-04-05   Sorry rsbeck, but we must agree to differ. i know my system ...   Rooze

06-06-05   i can't imagine a three cables constructed from three differ ...   Rsbeck

06-06-05   there's no reason for a silver speaker cable to sound differ ...   Judy426

06-06-05   Wc65mustang, why do you claim that stealth indra is the best ...   S23chang

06-06-05   Sm23chump i still have the indra and it remains the finest ...   Wc65mustang

06-06-05   there's no reason for a silver speaker cable to sound differ ...   Rsbeck

06-06-05   Wait...what ever happened to cooper? is he now a mini cooper ...   Kehut

06-07-05   Cooper is doing well. i finally disconnected him from the a ...   Rsbeck

06-08-05   Rsbeck "the combination of (human) brain and ear have ...   Judy426

06-09-05   We can measure differences in amplitude as fine as .01 db at ...   Rsbeck

06-11-05   Use your ears...try some silver vs copper comparisons. copp ...   Dave_b

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password