AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Cables > 1090281688  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

Power Cord Burn-In
I know, I know...this has been posted before but I swear I searched the archives and couldn't find what I was looking for so here's my question:
Just purchased a new pc for my cdp.
Can I burn this cord in without turning up the volume( family factor) and can I leave my preamp and amp off during this process. In other words, can I simply throw a disc in my cdp and press play/repeat and let the music play with no volume?
Thanks!
Greh  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

07-19-04
  Responses (1-64 of 64)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

07-19-04   Yes, it will burn it whether you hear the cd or not. but, ...   Drrdiamond

07-19-04   Just turn on your cdp.current will pass thru your power tran ...   Jea48

07-19-04   Yes. you don't even have to play the disc if your cdp is on ...   Warrenh

07-19-04   I would concur with richard that running the cord on the cdp ...   Hdm

07-19-04   I use a few weeks on my computer or the burner.   Panny

07-20-04: Megasam
I also do what Panny does, but only for 4-5 days.

Computers are good for audio AC cord break-in, they have 100-200 watt power supply and don't tie up stereo system.
Turn off sleep/hybernation power mode on computer when using to break in AC cord.

Megasam  (Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

07-20-04   Yep - use a computer. better yet, if you have access to any ...   Rex

07-20-04   I'm a fridge/freezer guy. apparently the motors make them a ...   Gliderguider

07-20-04   I use one of those iec to ac adapters that's already been me ...   Driver

07-20-04   You need lots of current to burn a power cord quickly. per c ...   Sonic_genius

07-20-04   I needed to break in a power cord real fast once, so i hooke ...   Gunbei

07-20-04   It might work better to use a refrigarator ,but if you do no ...   Panny

07-20-04   Thanks to all for your responses. presently have the cord ho ...   Greh

07-22-04   Greh, blacker background? i don't know about that, but she ...   Gunbei

07-22-04   While a computer is a decent alternative if a fridge or ches ...   Hdm

07-25-04   With my energystar reefer, it's *off* much, much more than i ...   Shasta

08-05-04   Pc burn-in is more a function of insulative dielectric poten ...   Subaruguru

08-08-04   Power cords do not need burn in. it is that simple.   Scottht

08-08-04   Scottht, maybe the power cord that you have tried did not n ...   Drrdiamond

08-08-04   Okay, i was a sceptic at first about burning in ic cables, a ...   Scottht

08-08-04: Gliderguider
I have to agree with you, Drrdiamond. I just got finished burning in a TG Audio SLVR power cord over the course of 5 weeks, on a combination of a SS amp that's on all the time and a chest freezer. The process was very instructive.

I tested it three times during that period, comparing it each time on the preamp in my main system to an Elrod EPS2 Signature that had been powering the preamp for several months. The first time, after two weeks, the TG was much worse than the Elrod - it made the system sound lean, edgy and bright. The second time, after four weeks, the TG was almost as good as the Elrod, but not quite - the edge was gone but it still sounded lean. The third time the sound with the TG was better than with the Elrod - it was smooth, transparent and fully fleshed out, and in comparison the Elrod now sounded slightly thick and plummy in the upper bass, with an attendant loss of detail.

I doubt that mental acclimatization played much of a role here, because each test lasted no longer than an hour, and the trials were separated by at least a week. The change in the SLVR's character over time was quite striking. I just repeated the test for a fourth time after having the SLVR in the system for a week or so, and the results were the same, to my ears, as the third test.

I'm quite prepared to believe that some power cords in some systems don't exhibit these kinds of changes, because I've used other PCs where I never noticed any changes at all. Bob Crump, the man behind TG Audio, is adamant that his power cords take this long to burn in and settle down, however. Based on what I heard, he is absolutely right.

Gliderguider  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-08-04   Fyi: my present, and best, power cords are also silver. ri ...   Drrdiamond

08-09-04   Scottht, passing electrical signals through ic cables can't ...   morbius@

08-09-04   I'm not an ee, so i have no clue what happens during "b ...   Gliderguider

08-09-04   Okay, dr. what is your theory on this cable break in falicy? ...   Scottht

08-09-04   Scottht, i'm with you - there are differences between cable ...   morbius@

08-09-04: Essentialaudio
Morbius, I'm well aware of what FCC and BCC structures are as are others here, but you might want to look up Dr. Rolf Hummel's book wherein he exhaustively explains in technical terms how and why the break-in phenomenon occurs, covering high and low temperature annealing among other topics. From those who have the book, it is a definitive reference. Few have the equipment and know-how to measure it, but it can be done. I believe Dr. Hummel is at Univ. of Florida.

Brian Walsh
engineer, audiophile and dealer

Essentialaudio  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-10-04   Brain walsh, i can only say that i'm not particulary impres ...   morbius@

08-10-04   I would love to do a blind-folded a/b test with someone with ...   Scottht

08-10-04   Scott, i'd be too afraid of looking like a goof when i guess ...   Gunbei

08-10-04   Information on the book, electronic properties of materials, ...   Essentialaudio

08-10-04   Yeah, me too :)   Scottht

08-10-04: Gmorris
Dr., are your comments based on your listening experience or just theory? I am also a Physicist but I have learned not to take myself too seriously as you obviously do. Did you just receive your Ph.D.? I have learned over the last 35 years in audio to rely more on my "EARS" than Maxwell’s equations, etc. Stop being so pompous.
Gmorris  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-10-04   Physics or memory. which is correct? i'll take the physics a ...   Scottht

08-11-04   And as someone who just listens rather than designs, i'll ta ...   Gliderguider

08-11-04   Gmorris, i received my phd at the massachusetts institute o ...   morbius@

08-11-04   Dr., i also have a doctorate in physics from a "prestig ...   Gmorris

08-11-04   You don't need to model "all facets of the musical expe ...   Bomarc

08-11-04   Bomarc: ".....of course, once you know the effect the ...   Gmorris

08-11-04   Well of course it can't be correlated to measurements, since ...   Bomarc

08-11-04   Good, maybe we can use your expertise, once you give the ide ...   Johncurl

08-12-04   Gmorris, i've signed my name that way for years - since the ...   morbius@

08-13-04   Dr. "..we have greatly expanded the regimes in which on ...   Gmorris

08-14-04   I have a phd in listening. earned, empircally, through 35 y ...   Warrenh

08-16-04   Gmorris, every model is an approximation at some level. th ...   morbius@

08-17-04   I seriously doubt it.   Johncurl

08-17-04   A couple of humorously wrong remarks from the good dr. green ...   Flex

08-17-04   Flex. i agree with you to some extent. but, a "power ca ...   Scottht

08-17-04: Boa2
The answer, Scottht, is YES. I did blind tests on my Jolida JD-100A with three different PC's, and all three people listening agreed that while one of the cords was more open than another, a third (a Michael Wolff carbon PC) made everything sound live and three-dimensional. In fact, my wife guessed that the most lifeless of the three must be the Wolff, because we had just received it, and she figured that "it must need breaking in." She was quite surprised to find out that it was in fact only two hours old. Now three weeks later, it sounds better yet.

I will say that after hundreds of hours recording and producing music, I have a pretty trained ear for slight variations in sound. And yet, the differences with the Wolff cord were not marginal. It was dramatically better than the others. I have affiliation with Michael Wolff, other than as a grateful audiophile whose expectations for his audio system were expanded by his products.

Boa2  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-17-04   Scottht, i should mention the three cords we tested, as i n ...   Boa2

08-18-04   Flex, the quoted portion of my previous post is an analogy. ...   morbius@

08-18-04: Flex
Dear Morb,
It's also a non-sequitur to discuss the JFK Jr problem, call it "fallible senses vs instrumenation", and then use that as a proof of the limits of hearing. In fact, your comparisons are apples-oranges.

You were comparing an optical sensor (eye) with, what, EM radiation sensors(?) under conditions where the optical sensor is severely disadvantaged. Had you compared optical to optical (e.g. eye to camera, telescope) you would have discovered that the instrumentation was no better than the eye under those fogged in conditions.

My point was to say that human sensory detection uses a wide variety of criteria in arriving at conclusions, and is subject to a high degree of training (yes, pattern recognition). Agreed, it has nothing to do with electron flow, and neither does your commentary. But my point actually does have a great deal to do with why audiophiles, as well as audio professionals, become skilled in hearing fine differences, and also with a discussion on the fallibilities of double blind tests. Lets not get into blind testing here; it's a long and heated argument.

It's a necessary and good exercise to look at audio "theories" in terms of well-established scientific knowledge, like phase diagrams and electron flow. But it's also a little dangerous to always infer from the text book situation to the engineering situation; the devil is in the details, and human ears need to be trusted at times to tell you that you haven't always got the explanation right.

Flex  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-18-04   Perhaps you can explain: "faulted defects generated by ...   Johncurl

08-18-04   Power cord burn-in...is there a dr. in the house ,you guys a ...   C5150

08-19-04   Nah...this is fun.   Subaruguru

08-19-04   Thank you mr curl : ) sean   Sean

08-19-04   You guys must have money to burn. i suppose you drive one of ...   Scottht

08-19-04   No money to burn in my house, scottht. just no debt, no kid ...   Boa2

08-19-04: Scottht
Gosh, let me think about that just 1 minute. No kids, no mortgage and no debt. I don't know what I would do!
Most certainly the best stereo I could find. Enjoy it while you can. My oldest daughter is going into 10th grade. And my youngest is going into 8th grade. I have 15 years left on my mortgage.
I guess that is why I am using signal cable power cables :)

Scottht  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-19-04   It is true that 'quality' power cords cost more than belden ...   Johncurl

08-19-04   Scottht, many would say that with two daughters, you alread ...   Boa2

10-21-13   Does turning on my inter grated amp volume up and not playin ...   Willywonka620

10-21-13: Jedinite24
Hi Willywonka620

For me as long as current is going through the power cord it is getting broken in.

Using a Kill-A-Watt I've measured how much my equipment draws and then I use an IEC to plug converter (C14-5-15R) to then use my power cord as an extension cord.

Here is one example from Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/411/P002002-28453.pdf

I've used power cords as extension cords for lamps, vacuum cleaners, irons, steamers etc. Pretty much any piece of electronics that would draw more than my equipment.

After all that it gets installed on my audio gear and I sit back and relax. YMMV though

Jedinite24  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

10-21-13   In my experience, the connector ends are the primary reason ...   Stringreen

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password