|Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.|
Jive big time hello!!!! Ebm
The way i understand power is that it does not start at the ... Stringreen
Stringreen, respectfully, you are not even close. there is c ... Liguy
So if its snake oil dont buy any!! Ebm
Why resurrect a seven year old thread? r.i.p Don_s
Reasons why you might think cables are snake oil. 1. liste ... Bjesien
Bjeisen, i suspect that most happily married men with a lov ... Shadorne
Solution to #7... i wear cotton in my ears and also my nose. ... Isochronism
The input terminals on the back of all powered audio equipme ... Danomcroo
Is that a fact? well now, we can retire this thread and mov ... Abucktwoeighty
In another thread, danomcroo wrote: not looking for that her ... Metralla
He has, by now, learned it all and has become the audio pope ... Rodman99999
I am a relative noobie when it comes to high end audio speak ... Danomcroo
I am by no means attempting to besmirch any product. if a pe ... Danomcroo
yes you are. but, $1200 worth of acoustic wall panels and ... Johnnyb53
Let's look at the term "snake oil". its an old te ... Lacee
Buy fm acoustics, they don't provide any option of pc but oe ... Quanmer
I wonder how many people that have said "sanke oil" ... Jp1208
No snake oil - good ones make a difference - here's why...
NOTE: For brevity I am going to bypass the power requirements of the electronic circuits and the many factors that influence circuit design etc.....mainly because I don't recall them from 40 years ago when I did have some understanding of them :-)))
So looking at the back-end of the amplifier - i.e. Speaker terminals...
The signal "sent" to a loudspeaker consists of a varying VOLTAGE (i.e. at the musical frequencies and various volume levels of instruments) - a very dynamic and complex signal
The "impedance" of the speaker governs the amount of CURRENT that is "drawn from the amp"
- impedance is like resistance, except...
- you have to factor in inductive and capacitive elements
- those vary with frequency - so impedance too is very dynamic!
- Current Drawn = voltage(which is dynamic) / impedance (which is very dynamic)
- net result - the frequencies in the music causes very dynamic variations in current "drawn from the amp"
- if you could see a waveform of the current delivered to the speaker it would resemble the musical waveform - sort of :-))
- So - POWER CONSUMED = CURRENT x VOLTS - all of which are directly related to the musical waveform and very dynamic
Now - at the wall outlet end of the amp -
The mains supply to all components is constant at 120v ac (I'm not debating power fluctuations here OK!)
Basically remembering that "POWER IN = POWER OUT"
- if POWER = CURRENT x VOLTS and the volts are constant @ 120v
- then CURRENT = POWER/120v
- if the power at the speaker terminals is dynamic (from above)
- then the CURRENT required from the mains supply will be dynamic also
- WHY? - because the voltage at the outlet is constant!
So, providing your house supply is sufficient, you can see that the mains supply current requirements are directly related to the musical frequencies and very dynamic and will have all the same requirements as interconnects and speaker cables - it needs good quality copper.
So what happens if the component cannot get the instantaneous current levels required?
- the component experiences an internal instantaneous voltage drop
- this seriously impacts the performance of the component across the board!
So we spend a lot of money on the best quality copper for speaker cables and interconnects, having low resistance/inductance/capacitance and quality connectors to get better transmission
- then a component manufacturer sticks a crappy 18 gauge mains cable in the box and we use it !
- but first we toss the crappy interconnect (that is about the same quality) - because that's not good enough!
- GO FIGURE!
SO - Doesn't the component also deserve a Mains Cable of similar quality as ALL other cables in our system?
- probably more so.
Only with good power cords can we hear the real differences further down the line!
So snake oil? - some cables market a lot of hype, when in fact it is pretty simple - look for...
- good quality copper
- some form of noise cancelling geometries or shielding
- good quality plugs/connectors
Yes - the supply fluctuates - cables won't help that
Yes - some amps may benefit from a cable that has some smoothing properties (verdict still out on this one)
Yes - silver cables are probably better than copper (verdict still out on this one)
And a million other claims.
Bottom line - a good cable like a Furutech (that's what I know works on my system) will provide sonic improvements
If it doesn't then the power cord is not your problem - look elsewhere!
Williewonka (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)
I wonder if the people who can't hear improvements, be it po ... Lacee
"i wonder if the people who can't hear improvements, be ... Rok2id
Lacee - don't forget that the differences they may fail to d ... Williewonka
The armonico power cord from fono acustica is changing the v ... Pierre620
Hmmm...first post by pierre620. i suspect a shill. Drubin
At $7300 - i would hope it would change peoples minds - at l ... Williewonka
Ok, so since my last posting i've had a chance to revamp a f ... Williewonka
If power cords can't make a difference, then nothing else in ... Lacee
Being away from hi-fi for a couple decades, i am amazed at s ... Jahjahjah
Jah i think you've been away too long,and like rip van winkl ... Lacee
your assertion is inaccurate. every aftermarket (upgraded) ... Foster_9
Could you please explain in more detail? please be a bit mor ... Lacee
Hard for me to be more specific. there's been too many compo ... Foster_9
Thanks for answering my question? one or two times that a po ... Lacee
One of the pieces i think was a ps audio premier power plant ... Foster_9
I tested this hypothesis, and found that isolation transform ... Terry9
For those who think power cords don't make a difference plea ... Lall
Thank you foster9,i have a friend who can't seem to hear dif ... Lacee
Lacee when you state i don't hear the benefits of upgraded p ... Foster_9
My question is this: if ruby mountain ac cable by siltech, s ... Stewie
Stewie - the length of the cord would make little difference ... Williewonka