AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Analog > 1250956437  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

The Best Phono cable
Dear Friends,
I would like to get Your opinion about the best possible Phono cable for my turntable.
I purchesed Indian Signature turntable.
Also I have Koetsu Onyx and AR Ph 7 preamp.
I wanted to connect it all thogeter with THE BEST possible
phono cable.
Also I need your reccommendation for AR Ph 7 to Preamp wire.
At the end of this path way is MIT MAX Balanced cable and Cabasse Atlantis active apeakers.
Thanks,
Chris
Cool_chris  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-22-09
  Responses (1-34 of 34)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

08-22-09: Nsgarch
The best I've heard so far (in MY system ;-) is the Purist. I have their middle-of-the-range Venustas (MSRP $1950) but there are even more expensive models like the Dominus and the new solid core Provectus (which I've not heard but sure would like to ;-).

Obviously, you'll need to try a few examples to discover which one(s) provide the sonics you want when combined with your cartridge and electronics. The following, along with Purist, are the best out there in my ever-so-humble opinion ;-)

Silver Breeze (by Silver Audio, one of the best at any price)
Golden Reference (Cardas)
Avondale II (by Siltech, expensive like Purist)
Music Groove 2 (Hovland)

Nsgarch  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-22-09   There is no "best". it is all taste- and system-de ...   Detlof

08-22-09: Violin
Chris, I would also suggest that you try the Synergistic Research Magnetic Tricon phono cable. Some time ago I was in the market for a better phono cable and tried several from the Cable Co., namely the SR Tricon, The Hovland Music Groove 2, and the Cardas and ended up much preferring the SR. Michael Fremer just several months ago compared five phono cables and two of which were the Tricon and the Hovland. You should take a look at the article.
As Detlof stated above, there is no best. It is all system synergy and the listener's particular taste.
Best of luck in your search.
Carter

Violin  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-22-09: Opus88
I have used the Synergistic Research Tricon, Cardas Golden Reference, Furutech AG-12, Audio Horizons Dimension and Hovland Music Groove 2 tonearm cables. In my system, the one that has consistently given me the most textured, musical and enjoyable sound has been the Cardas Golden Reference.
Opus88  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-22-09   Well chris, there you have it. somewhere in this excellent ...   Nsgarch

08-22-09   Nsgarsh, i agree with you that the synergy of a system can b ...   Violin

08-22-09   I've had the best luck with the synergistic research tricon ...   Konis

08-23-09   I have to agree with nsgarch. the purist audio are great ca ...   Dmccombs

08-23-09   Of course, the ones that sound best in your system. do not ...   Buconero117

08-23-09   Here's a 3rd for the purist. i have the purist proteus prov ...   Jfrech

08-23-09   Thanks a lot! i tried to stay with mit and purchesed magnum ...   Cool_chris

08-23-09: Jallen
The Cardas Golden Reference is purely magical and seems to preserve all the analog texture and basically get out of the way and allow recordings to sound unique and different. This is my test for neutrality, recording contrasts. When they all sound the same....something is not right.
Jallen  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-23-09   Have definite not tried all phono cables but did go through ...   Uru975

08-23-09: Cool_chris
Great to have all of you in one place here.
Will try few before I will make final decission.
I think I have to try Cardas, Purist and Synergistic R.
Also I added my System into public virtual Systems. You can see it. Any opinion ?

Cool_chris  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-23-09   Audioquest leopard silver wire (silver can carry 6% more inf ...   Syntax

08-23-09: Nsgarch
Chris, I would urge you to include the Silver Breeze from Silver Audio. Max is very accommodating and will send it to you on approval, so you have nothing to lose. At under $600 it's an amazing performer far outclassing similarly priced products (like the LeoPard, IMO ;-) I liked the SB better, for instance than the Cardas GR which was recommended to me by the SME person at Sumiko. Had I not got my Venustas a week later at CES (for 60% off!), I would probably have bought the Silver Breeze. I mention this because occasionally, there are (under-priced?) products, which if they happen to work in your system, then you lucked out! But most of the time you get what you pay for.

I can agree with Buconero, but only in spirit ;-) Some products are indeed overpriced for what they offer in performance, and if the customer has NOT done their due diligence, they may find themselves defending the Emperor's new clothes;-) But the really BEST performing products are NEVER the cheapest, and usually worth every penny of their astronomical prices! Yes, it's true they tend to cost more and more for less and less incremental improvements; but this happens for a lot of understandable reasons that have nothing to do with a desire to gouge the public.

Nsgarch  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-23-09   One very importany thing. it has to be phono rca both ends.   Cool_chris

08-23-09   Most manufacturers (including sb) will configure phono cable ...   Nsgarch

08-24-09   Thank you nsgarch! i am wondering if connecting ar ph7 to em ...   Cool_chris

08-24-09   No cable at all!   Koegz

08-25-09   Koegz i agree! untill we get there i need something good.   Cool_chris

08-28-09: Flyfish2002
I have tried the Graham 70, Synergistic Research Tricon, Hovland MG2, Cardas Golden Reference and Silver Audio Silver Breeze. In my system, the Silver Breeze is at another level and is the cable I use.

Analog Rig: VPI TNT Mk IV fully upgraded; Graham Phantom Mk ii; Clear Audio Stradivari; EAR MC-4 SUT; and a Sonic Frontiers SFP-1 in MM mode completely overhauled and modded by Bill Thalmann of Music Technology (former lead engineer at Conrad-Johnson).

In this setting, the Silver Breeze pulls it all together, gets out of the way and makes music.

Brent

Flyfish2002  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-30-09   I guess some of you know that hovland closed their doors, an ...   Nsgarch

08-30-09   maybe yes, maybe no. it has absolutely nothing to do with q ...   Syntax

08-30-09   Syntax - you take a rather dim view of high end cable makers ...   Nsgarch

08-31-09: Syntax
Dear Nsgarch,
don't worry, there are good Designs out there and better ones. It has nothing to do with 1 company. One of my friends opened some PAD cables some time ago (and others)...I did a Phono Cable comparison some time ago and there are big differences among them, independent from price (when I remember I had here Siltech, Kondo, Cardas Golden Cross (?), KSL-Vz, Graham-70 (?, the best from him), XLO Signature, PAD Venustas, and some other brands I forgot).
Most cables - in general - have own" characters" and are used to compensate or to support something in the main System. That makes it difficult to "recommend" because no one knows what "priorities" are asked.
Some are shielded, some not, some have good connectors, some not, some have developed a separate Phono cable, others say, they did, too, some have high quality strands, some have standard...you will find nearly everything and I agree with you, the PAD Venustas is a VERY quiet cable.

Syntax  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

08-31-09   In the $200=300 range, the oyaide pa-2075 is very good.   Jb0194

08-31-09   Syntax, although you have stated some obvious truths, i'm no ...   Nsgarch

09-01-09   Nsgarch, i don't know about other phono cables, but the sil ...   Flyfish2002

09-02-09   Flyfish, after reading your comments, just out of curiosity, ...   Nsgarch

09-02-09   Nsgarch, i was using some phono cables in the past, also try ...   Thuchan

09-03-09   I use an rca terminated silverbreeze with an arc ph7 and an ...   Jtimothya

09-03-09   I would like to thank all of you. this info is great. i was ...   Cool_chris

09-05-09   Had purist venustas upgraded to purist provectus very quiet ...   Ebm

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password