Anybody have the Feickert Adjust + program?

I've been trying to find a dealer, and went directly to the Feickert website but hit a dead end.
hiendmuse
If you are looking for the Feickert Protractor, Acoustic Sounds has them. The link is below.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=28626
I ordered mine from Dr. Feickert's website. This is the link they had in their website where you can order the Adjust+ software.

http://shop.adjustplus.biz/

Best,

iSanchez
Thank you iSanchez. Do you know the price in US dollars? Have you used it yet, and if so, was it relatively user-friendly? thank you!
You're welcome. I don't know the current price in US $. You can check the current exchange rate to have an idea about the price.

I have used the Adjust+ software a few times. The software itself is very straightforward to use. But because of all the different operating system configurations, the software setup process may provide some challenges.

I'm using it on a MacBook Pro running Windows XP via Parallels Desktop. The calibration process of the SB Soundblaster Surround 5.1 is inconsistent, so it needs a few tries in order to get it calibrated properly. But once this and other Windows XP settings are done, using the Adjust+ is very simple.

Best,

iSanchez
As mentioned above, I am a dealer of the Feickert turntables and tonearms and use the Adjust+ Pro software for clients. And although the software is relatively straightforward to use, the learning curve, especially system configuration, can be tricky and time consuming.
Brian i have been following this very interesting tool since its release. I live in the New Orleans area and doubt if i could get you are anyone else to preform a setup for me so i am going to get Adjust+ for my self.

I am very aware of how a small movement/adjustment can make for the ultimate in sound as well as just ordinary sound. As i have read you could take up to 3 hrs making adjustments. Could you elaborate more on your procedure.

Azimuth adjustments by sight are hit and miss and i have not had any luck using a meter and tone, by ear is the best i can get. I dont want to leave anything on the table that my cartridge/arm can give me unheard is this where all of your time is spent.

And do you think the home version is enough to get setup correct. Many thanks
Mike
Mike, the standard version of the program can get you much of the way there. The azimuth adjustment is key (a fraction of a degree can make a big difference), which in some cases takes quite a while, especially if your tonearm doesn't have that adjustment (I use material between the cartridge and headshell in that case). VTA can be adjusted along with that (visual cues are given by the graphs, even though not explicitly stated), and being a perfectionist I like to do that even though it isn't necessarily required, which takes extra time. The rest is fairly routine. The pro version measures other parameters such as distortion. Rather than elaborate on the whole procedure here I suggest it will be clear when you get the software. And I can safely say you will discover a lot of your music anew. :-)
I do have the Adjust Pro +. I am in NYC. I ordered in January and got it early April!

But aside from this frustration, it is a great program. The azimuth test on my arm is a bit difficult as the "level" method does not work. The arm is a VPI 10.5i which is a unipivot arm. The level method worked great on my Thorens which has a headshell that can rotate. I can place the level on the headshell to take settings.

The other issue I have is the accuracy of the 3150 hz tone on the LP. I believe it is not exactly 3150 so setting your speed to this frequency can cause errors. I believe it is off by about 16 hz.

Gene
Gary many thanks for the info you provided. I had a feeling you were going to let us know how important azimuth set correctly relates to superior playback. I tried again today with a test tone and meter again a waste of time.
Thanks again
Mike
Feickert leaves a lot to be desired,
can't really get more than spindle to pivot point set

try custom mint lp protractor to get precise alignment
do a search here for much detail
Gene,

It's been a while since I've used Adjust + but I had checked the speed settings against a couple other records and the KAB strobe. I do not recall the difference you noted. I would have most certainly brought this up with the manufacturer at RMAF last year. Of course, I don't have your record. One thing that WILL through the reading off is the CPU processing delay associated with delayed readings from the A/D card you are using. One way to double check this is to lower the bit rate and the FFT sample size. If you suddenly see the correct speed, the CPU may not be fast enough to use the maximum resolution the program is capable of. I hope his helps.

Audiotomb,

The Adjust + Software is different from the alignment protractor you are speaking of. It's feature sets are different.

I don't want this to venture off topic but I will state that I have been able to get excellent results with either method (Arc or Feickert tool). In fact, I have used the Wally tool to verify my Feickert alignments (not the other way around for those noting this). Patience is needed for both tools and a clear understanding of how to use them. I may also add that both alignment tools are useless if you don't get Pivot to spindle distance correct. For those with fixed (non-moving) armboards, this is extremely critical. Experience tells me that I would suggest that one always double check the Pivot-to-spindle distance before ordering an arc style protractor.

Dre
Audiotomb, I am with you. I use the Feickert protractor and the mintlp protractor. The Feickert does a great job on the tone arm spindle to pivot setting and then the mintlp is great at tweeking the overhang to get the over all setting right on.

The software is very interesting?
Terry
Dre,

I used 44.1khz and 24 bit with Adjust Pro +. I'll drop it to 16 bit and see if the speed measurement changes at all. How accurate is the KAB strobe disc? The specs for the KAB shows 99.99 accuracy at 0 drift. But specs sometimes don't co-relate with reality.

Gene
Gene,

On occasion, I've checked the KAB strobe against two different 1000Hz tones generated by oher test records and checked on no less than three different frequency counters. From what I've checked using practical application, it's pretty accurate. This was part of the same test I did with the speed checks for the Feickert Adjust+ software.

I'm with you on being able to verify results by testing against other measures. The set of tests above gave me confidence in the results. Although the tests also showed me the topic I raised in the thread to you about CPU/resource bandwidth. That same test was checked with other FFT based frequency counter software I had access to at the time.

Dre
Using a Wally tracker universal i dont have any problems with overhang adjustments. My Triplaner is a tracking machine and its striped down to the bare minimum. What i want to be sure of is Azimuth adjustment.

I am quite happy with speed adjustments using KABs strobe. Very easy on the fly while playing a lp.

I believe from a lot of reading on this and other forums that Dr Feickert has a winner with Adjust+. And Brians input reaffirms that to me.
Mike
It is a very good product. I had the opportunity to sit with Dr. Feickert at CES while he demonstrated it to me. It might not be for everyone, but it is something worth looking into if you're already playing with Wally's or Mint's tools.

Also, I've been to Essential Audio and was impressed with the different analog set-ups there. I have no doubt Brian is a good source of information on the Feickert tools and knows how to use them.
Hi @all,

just a quick information. The software is sold directly and as Gene already mentioned we had some prolems getting the packages to your end.... This now is solved and we offer FedEx shipping for an additional 20,- EURO. We sell through our Online shop (http://shop.adjustplus.biz). Prices are only given in EURO but you can PayPal the money into our account which speeds up everything.

@Audiotomb: What desirable is left open? See, as long as the customers don't give feedback we cannot know what they wish.....

@Gene: Do not use 44,1 kHz - it's too inaccurate.

Cheerio,

Chris
chris

the feikert is a well crafted piece and a welcome addition to my audio analog tool kit

your spindle to pivot length work is fabulous
and well worth the price for that alone

the grid under which you align the cartridge is nearly impossible to site correctly. The grid lines are distracting not complementary. You can get close for a lot of cartridges and should be commended for that, but it's hard to accurately square and for very sensitive to alignment cartridges like my ZYX Universe I needed further precision

the mint uses paralax site line effect - you know when you are perfectly aligned and is much more precise in it's alignment measurements

then again it is made for each specific table and arm setup

I own and use both - feiker - pivot length
mint - fine tune alignment

for a quick setup of a friends table - the feickert worked good - a very adaptable piece. I used it exclusively with good results on my previous table - Nottingham Spacedeck

to get the maximum finese out of my galibier/triplanar/universe
a custom made mint protractor was necessary and worth every penny
Just to clarify, part of the delay in getting Adjust Pro + was not an issue with Chris. The xxxx post office! I am not sure whether German or the U.S. post office is at fault but when I went to visit my local office to inquire, it was a nightmare. The line was wrapped around outside the office and 2 workers with no manager in site. I waited 2 hours just to get a "I don't know" stare from the employee.

The program is great. I've had more time to use it and the calibration ability is really useful.

I'll have to upgrade my PC to handle 96kHz and 24 bit, though. It takes quite a bit of horsepower.
Ok, I see some bells and whistles targeting some specific tasks associated with tonearm/cart setup. But, really, can't I do most of the important stuff with any decent RTA software? How do I justify $500 usd plus another $40 usd in shipping? I already have TrueRTA that I use to setup my entire system. The max'ed out version is only $100 usd.

And, "As a result you get a minimized crosstalk and it is set to be consistent on both channels." Can you please explain this? I've never seen/heard crosstalk from a cartridge that sounded right when both channels were "set to be consistent". Perhaps I just don't understand what this means.
Dan_ed, adjusting the cartridge and tonearm is straightforward when you see the program in action, and the proof is in the listening. If you are certain of just as good results using some other tools, go for it. The option a lot of people may prefer is to find someone with the software to do the work for them for a reasonable fee.
I ordered the home version and was wondering what sound card you guys are using since the one that was on the web site is no longer available.
Yes, Brian, I understand the "dealer" part. I suspect that also had a significant impact on the home addition pricing as well as I think that is about what Wally charged for his az wonder tool. I'd try it. Why not? Well, $540. I'm even more confused after Sbrown's post as to what is included in the price.

I use a USB Sound Blaster since my laptop doesn't have a line input. Another $100.
Dan_ed,

Feickert recommends that you use an external sound card since the sound cards in most machines are low quality and don't have high enough resolution.
I use pro audio firewire soundcards like the ones from Motu and Echo. Much better than Soundblaster.
I had a long and pleasant conversation last night with an owner of this software who really understands not only how to use it, but also what and how it is doing it. Real engineering, geeky-type talk in some places. :-)

I have to say that the features available in the Adjust+ sound really interesting to me. Unfortunately, from the descriptions I received of these features I would naturally be drawn to the more expensive pro version.

As per the discussion last night there are other ways to make these measurements, which Brian had mentioned a few posts back. This software basically automates this process, which saves a lot of time and physical effort.

I will respect this person's privacy and just say "thanks" once again.

Now, I wonder how much a few toes are worth to AFLAC?
Another major bonus is the Plus version can use .wav files as a source for analysis.
I have the DFA Adjust+ kit.  I don't think it is stocked at dealers, so I got it direct from DFA in Germany.  230 Euro plus 60 Euro shipping (I think FedEx- very quick).  Consists of 12" Adjust+ test disc, dongle, instructions, and excellent bubble level with degrees.  Windows only, so I bought an HP $290 Windows tablet, because I didn't want to try use an OS simulator in my MacBook.

I'm not an engineer.  That said, I am very impressed with Adjust+ kit.  I used it to adjust azimuth on my DFA Blackbird turntable/Reed 2A tonearm/Lyra Scala cartridge rig.  I did not take the time to understand the concepts of the operation, but I did use its recommendation of about 0.33 degrees counter clockwise headshell rotation.  I also verified channel balance with my Rigol DSOL.  In these cases, the source for the waveforms is the output of your MC phono stage/pre-preamp that is receiving the signal from your turntable.  Here is a DropBox link to azimuth graphs generated by Adjust+:

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=AP_AzimuthAdjustmentReport+3+chart.pdf