About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
I, too, have had a number of pleasant interactions with Pat, and he generously offered me some excellent advice earlier this year when I was starting a new career in real estate. I really appreciate your post, Paul, and will contact Pat directly.
Seasons greetings Paul and thank you for sharing this devastating news with us. I will E-mail Pat and pray for him and I hope everyone on the 'gon will do the same. Pat has been an outstanding and frequent contributor here and I can't wait for his speedy recovery so I can continue to read his posts. Please everyone, take just a minute and E-mail Pat. I sure it will brighten his day. Thank you and Happy Listening! John

All the best for a quick and complete recovery, I still owe Pat at least one record. Our thoughts, hopes, and prayers are with Pat and his family. Jeff
I've butted heads with Pat on a couple of posts, and exchanged some great private emails. We don't agree on everything, but I'll agree on one thing ... he's a really sound and honest guy.
I'm very sorry to hear this news and I send my sincerest condolences to Pat and his family.
Patrick is sure passionate about analog and I hope and pray he will keep on enjoying his records for a good long time. I wish him all the best and hope for a speedy recovery. I also thank him for his emails along the way.
Patrick has exchanged email with me unprompted, merely because he had advise he wanted to share. He strikes me as a wonderfully caring and giving person and this news is very tough to take. I don't know what to say other than to wish Patrick a speedy and comfortable recovery or at the very least a resolution. Insamuch as I pray my prayers will be with him.
Paul, thank you for sharing this tragic news. I will keep Pat and his family in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he will feel better, and able to re-join us soon.
Pat:
Thank you for your kindness in responding to my questions with sound, knowledgable advice. Your goodness shines through in your posts. My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time.

Chris
That's not the news I wanted to know about Patrick and I feel very upset.
I wish Patrick to be strong knowing that he's not alone and successfully undergo neccessary treatment.

Paul,

You may print out our responces before you go visit him.
Pat is one tough bastard, and is facing this with a smile on his face and cheer in his heart. It's good to see he has so many friends.
Thank you Paul for sharing this. Patrick, you are in my thoughts and the thoughts of the entire AudiogoN family. Get well soon and rejoin us as soon as you are able.
Pat has contributed on many threads that I've read and it's clear that he's a passionate guy who enjoys plenty of spirited banter, but always in a way that makes you want to know more of him. Our thoughts are with you, Lugnut!
Cheers,
Spencer
Pat is simply the finest man you'll ever meet.
Devotion and integrity have never had a better practician and advocate.
I've known Pat for years now, and we are close friends.
This news saddens me greatly, but I know Pat is tough and has been through some very rough times in the past, and I believe he is up to beating this.
My prayers and thoughts are with him.
I've also had some private emails with Pat on a few occasions & hope to be able to visit with him one day. In the meantime my thoughts & prayers are with him & will be.
I've never met or talked with Pat, but I have chatted with lugnut more then a few times on the forums- a great man from what I know.

Pat you will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Warmest Regards,
Tim
It's the measure of the man that he has taken precious time out mailing and helping me deal with my own little personal tragedy this week.
We have corresponded a few times,agreed and disagreed and you can just tell this man is a very decent and not to say generous individual.
He is also a very humble human being and my thoughts and prayers are with him also.
Sorry to hear of Pat's condition. Our prayers are with him and his family, especially during this Christmas season.

Jim
I only know Pat form his posts. Be sure he knows that this little community here has him in their thoughts and prayers.
Paul and Patrick,

I was so saddened to read this post. I send kind thoughts and sympathy to you and your family. I don't know you other than through the many posts, by you, that I have enjoyed reading. Please get better soon, so that we may all continue reading your sage wisdom.

My warmest regards.

Skip
Thank you for sharing this with the Audiogon community, Paul. Patrick, we wish you a successful recovery, and a safe holiday. All I want for Christmas is for you to feel better, and clearly that is the general consensus here.
All the best,
Howard
Pat is one of the great contributors that makes this forum work. He has definitely greatly enhanced my enjoyment of music through his advice. I am extremely saddened to hear of this news. My wishes and prayers are with Pat and his family.
Hey Lug- Best of luck to ya, man. All of your Audiogon buddies are pulling for you. Merry Christmas and get well soon!!!
Not the kind of news any of us want to hear about Lugnut.

Pat and I have exchanged emails and posts since he first arrived at Audiogon. I consider him a friend as well as an important part of our community.

I hope his spirited behavior can translate into perseverance to fight this attack on his body. I believe his strength and conviction will serve him in this tough time and I will have him in my prayers.
Pat and I met in the spring of 1975 at the University of Nebraska. We immediately acknowledged our mutual love of music
and shared many many evenings listening to recorded music and playing acoustic guitars together. He is such a great host with such a good ear for the aesthetics as well as the artistry of music. His pursuit of fine audio was evident even back then. His pleasant nature and kindness to others is an inspiration to those around him. As he and his family face this difficult time, I am confident that a lifetime of sowing the seeds of kindness and laughter will return to Pat, untold acres of good will, and assistance along with our prayers.

Love, Jeff (Ampster)
Well, if Kelly can come out so can I. You guys. I've alwasys considered myself to be tough. Had to be growing up chubby with the name of Pat. But, I'm a sentimental guy and the thoughts in this post have lifted my spirits, not to mention made me cry. Not crying due to sadness but because it seems I conveyed adequately who I am in my writing in the threads. Thank you all so much for the kind words expressed on this page and the personal emails sent my way. I'm not depressed but I admit to being reluctant to go through a difficult surgery that'll surely make me whimpy, for a minute anyway. God gives us each day and I really believe that we are supposed to enjoy them. I am and intend to enjoy each day as best I can. Vetterone (Steve) has enlisted help locally to convert our music room into a recovery room. Now, get this. My wife, who has never handled a record we've owned, has promised to learn the care and feeding of vinyl and the details of running the turntable so we can listen together as I heal. That means a great deal to me knowing that she can enjoy all of this music without me having to do it for her. Again, I appreciate all of the kind sentiments. This isn't going to be an easy fight but I'll give it my all. Bless each and every one of you and if I might be incorrect politically, remember the reason for the season. Merry Christmas to everyone. You have made my Christmas already.
Lugnut,

Nothing but best wishes and God Bless.

I got the SOTA spinning tonight. I will think of you and raise a toast in your honor.

Nothing but best wishes.

Steelhead.
Mr. Frumkin has before been our good counsel. He takes the care of people that lesser people, like me, do not on our own. When he sounds a call to action, we best come running. Lugnut has peppered my threads many times and always with the care and attention we hope to recieve. I know that we will do what is needed.
God Bless you for your strength, Patrick.

From across the Atlantic (the "old" world) I will be thinking of you, and sharing with you, vinyl sounds... and prayers.

Merry Xmas, Patrick -- and may you greet the New Year with a big smile!
My prayers to you Pat and you're family......remember........"when you're down and nothin',
....God's up to somethin'"
It is tough to get news like this around the holidays, but these things don't give a rat's ass about holidays. I don't know Patrick personally but I have benefited tremendously from his posts here. I view all of the posters on this analog forum as kindred spirits and it is like a punch in the gut when something like this happens to one of you.

All the best to you, Patrick, and to your loved ones. I will pray for your speedy and full recovery.

Happy Holidays to all!
All the best to Patrick and his family.
One of life's many mysteries is why bad things happen to good people-I guess it's all part of the master plan.
Good luck Patrick and stay strong.
The power of prayer has healed many a wound.Mine are with you for a quick recovery.mike.
Pat,
My prayers and best wishes are with you as you go through this tought journey.
Thanks for all of the good hearted help that you have given to many of us.
Warmest Regards and the best to you and your family.
Larry
Pat,

I just wanted you to know my thoughts and prayers are with you. Knowing your wife will keep the music going makes me smile, let the music help. Don’t worry about being a wimp, just think about getting well. God bless.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Joe
This morning will bring more news for Pat. I pray it will be encouraging news.
A more passionate or caring man I have not met. Pat has helped and encouraged me through a lot of audio trials. Thanks to Pat (and TWL and Cello) my analog journy is starting to pay off. Pat did the metal work on my latest equipment rack. He is not only a true lover of music but also a true craftsman.
For you that don't know, Pat sent his CD player and CD collection to sleep with the fishes. Something about if CDs weren't good enough for Neil Young...but that is another story. Anyway, that is why his wonderful bride of 31 years Barb, will be playing the role of remote in the next act of the play we call "Pat's Life".
Pat can be a tough SOB if the times call for it. Pat beat cancer back in 1988/89 so he knows how to beat it again.
As Warren Zevon said, "Enjoy Every Sandwich"
I join all of you wishing Pat and Barb in a happy new year.

Happy Holidays to all in Audioville

Steve
Lugnut- your posts convey a sharp and clever mind. I always enjoy reading your 2 cents.

I speak for many of us when I say I'm thinking of you, and pray for your quick return to our forum.
Pat,

Wishing you all the best in fighting this one out. We know you can do it!

I will be waiting eagerly for your return here at the forum.

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Abe ("amandarae")
Patrick may God Bless you and your loved ones this holiday season and throughout the new year. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

All the best to you and your family. Merry Christmas.
I haven't crossed "Lugnut's" path very often, but when I have it was a very pleasant experience, and from what I've seen he is a very productive and positive Audiogoner. My best wishes to him and his family through his travails. Merry Christmas and a miraculous New Year!
Dear Pat,

I've enjoyed your discussions immensely. I have always
found them to be insightful, informative and full of wit.
I look forward to the day when you will be able to post
or respond to other topics of the day, once again. Hopefully, very soon.

Stay strong! I will pray for you and your loved ones. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Best,
Mmaudio
Well, my reservations are made and I'll be arriving in Boise, Idaho, just about an hour before the New Year.

Obviously, I wish the circumstances were better, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to meet a man whom I'm proud to call my friend, and happy for the opportunity to meet Pat's friend Steve (Vetterone), who by all indications is a very fine fellow indeed. See you soon guys!

Thanks to the wonderful women we're blessed to have in our lives. For Pat, his wife Barb, a source of inspiration and a tower of strength; and for me, my wife Lis, who never even came close to complaining about my leaving on New Year's Eve to visit Pat.

And to all, a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Warmest regards,
Paul
Patrick, I hope you find strength and hope from the many wonderful responses here. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes for the new year, and many more. - Tim