What happened to Discwasher?

So I went to get a refill of D4 fluid, which I use to clean records before I transcribe them for more convenient access. No more around. Unless someone has old stock? I cannot justify a 2000$ record cleaning machine for a handful of albums to burn onto a car CD. So does anyone have a substitute cleaning fluid, or know the secret formula for D4 fluid? Guess Discwasher bit the dust in the middle of a vinyl resurgance? Hmmmm. Thanks!
w8aaz
Still around. I found a source last year and bought several, along with a brush. Try Google and eBay.

Here's a place that carries it, but lists it out of stock until Aug 24:

http://www.the2buds.com/surclean.htm

Skip
One of my distributors used to carry it. If you can't find it, drop me an email. Mind you, i'm not in the audio business, but if this is what you want, i'll do what i can to help you out. Sean
>
I have several bottles that are about one year old. I bought a record cleaning machine and will probably not use all of them in my lifetime. I would be will to sell these if you are interested. Please email me if you are.
I've seen them on E-Bay too, along with the brush. I bought one a while back to remove towel lint from sink-washed/towel/dried records before my RCM step. I have a bottle of the fluid which is unused. Toss me a couple-o-bucks for shipping and it's yours.
Recoton, which owned the brand, went bankrupt in April and sold its accessories business to Gemini Industries. Discwasher doesn't appear anywhere on Gemini's website. I suspect the market for inexpensive record cleaners is even smaller than the market for inexpensive turntables (many of which are bought by people who don't bother to clean their records). So I wouldn't be surprised if they just discontinued it.

If you've got the brush, just use distilled water. Works about as well, frankly.
I still use the brush but ditched the fluid after I discovered globs of stuff growing inside. The growth occurs in both the small red bottles and the large red refills. Unless it can be pasteurized somehow I'd steer clear of NOS Discwasher fluid.
Eeyoiks! Stuff growing inside? The label on D4 says it contains isopropyl,(and I wonder what else) so I wonder what could grow in that?
maybe some kind of chemical reaction. I will pour it out into a beaker and inspect it. Otherwise, I guess I better contact these other guys to see what they have for sale.
Probably enough for me to use to transfer plenty of discs, as I don't use the TT much for just listening. The whole system has been collecting dust and not used alot lately..... Thanks.
"Stuff" will only grow in the bottles if they are opened and left to sit for a long period of time. Bottles that have never been opened except for their initial filling should still be fine. I'm basing this on my own experience with this product. Storing the product in different environments may introduce variables that i myself never ran into. As such, pouring it into another clean container to inspect might be a good idea if someone has some old fluid that they want to donate to someone else and / or make use of themselves. Sean
>
Hammy is right; Discwasher cleaning fluid is not sacred.

For further information on this formula, see my post over at Audio Asylum (my handle is mrspindlelegs over there):

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/338394.html

Mr. Kidknow
What about obtaining a replacement Discwasher brush? Are they worth replacing or should I just go with a different system?
I am currently using a Decca carbon brush, Gruvglide and a very old Discwasher system. Some records refuse to play cleanly. Any thoughts and insights would be appreciated.
Hammergjh,

I do think that Discwasher brushes have to be replaced after they have seen a lot of use even if they visually still look good. The brush removes particulate and greasy soils from the record. The particulates can be removed from the brush with another brush but the grease and detergent residue remains. Over time, the concentration of grease and detergent residue will build-up on the brush and result in excessive redeposition back onto the record. It may be possible to just periodically rinse the brush with distilled water to help lift the detergent and grease residue off the brush. The problem is you can never be certain how clean the brush is after it has cleaned a lot of records. Note: I've never searched various audio forums to see if this issue has been adequately addressed. The answer may be buried in one of the audio forum websites.

Mr. Kidknow
$200 buys you a vacuum record cleaning machine called the record doctor, by nitty gritty. It's made for www.audioadvisor.com.
Any brush will need to be replaced after enough uses, as Mr. Kidknow said. I like the Disc Doctor brushes, which come with replaceable pads. The handles will last forever.

As Hammy suggested, brushing and wet cleaning without vacuuming is largely a waste of time. If you don't quickly vacuum off the scummy solution before the liquid evaporates, all the junk goes right back where it started; but now it's been broken down into smaller particles and pasted deeper into the grooves.
Until I can get more D4 record-cleaning fluid for use with my DiscWasher, I am using a liquid that RadioShack sells for use with their record-cleaning system.

Tom
no one answered the question.Why would this company stop making this product? I know there is a vast amount of people out there who depend on the stuff to keep their irreplaceable record collection perfect.I probably buy 13-15 of the little bottles a year (having failed to find the bigger bottle a long time ago). Retailers have been trying to steer me to other products saying their stuff is better.
Other products I have reviewed seem to be for people who are trying to clean filthy discs. All my records are pristeen. The DWR / D4 combo is perfect for just removing the slight dust that has found it's way. Rational or not, I want D4!
The next time that I run into Bruce Meyer the original founder of Discwasher I'll ask him. Maybe he'll give up the secret formula and you can mix up your own.
That formula would be here at this
clickable link for Discwasher formula
. One of these days, you folks will figure out how to post a link. I know that i appreciate this when reading about a subject. At the same time, making it simpler for someone else also makes it more likely for them to view and reference what it is that you are talking about. Sean
>

PS... I agree with the comments made about breaking surface tension as i've posted similar comments about TRUE "deep cleaning" vinyl in the past. If you can't penetrate the surface, you can't clean anything below it.
Discwasher lives in 2008

(http://www.needledoctor.com/Discwasher-D4-Kit).

But the Discwasher D4+ cleaning fluid formula is VERY different from the D4 fluid I used many years ago. The original D4 used to bead up on the brush, and had little or no odor associated with it. The D4+ replacement fluid I recently purchased came in a black bottle instead of red, has a screw top in place of the folding spout (to address the possible contamination issue noted above, or just cheaper?) smells very strongly of alcohol, and flows directly into the fabric of the Discwasher brush instead of beading up like the earlier formula.

In terms of performance, the D4+ helps the brush pick up dust and lint about as well as the old formula. I have not investigated beyond visually inspecting the surface of the records to determine if there is something different going on at the level of the individual grooves. Like new or quiet disks sound as good as they ever did, and noisy or scratched disks are still noisy and scratched sounding. Neither product does much for fingerprints or other smudges in contrast to company claims.
Mrkidknow lists the original formula from the Discwasher Patent. The anti-fungal agent, sodium azide, is also an explosive (the same as used today in car air bags) and may be difficult to purchase for that reason.

Ken
Kenyonbm is right about sodium azide. It is also very poisonous. I doubt these days it would be easy to get anyway.

Plus, the post said the sodium azide was just used as an fungicide. So, if you are making your own fluid, you don't need it - just make a new batch if it goes bad.
Hi...

2008 and RCA Corp, whoever they are these days, bought Discwasher. I Just bought the brush and liquid. Same items as yesteryear but now have RCA emblazoned on them.

Regards,

Jan
I too bought a replacement bottle of 'D4' from Amazon. Such a HUGE disappointment! The D3 fluid worked really well and was great at picking up everything from tiny lint srtands to hair (eye-lashes) and general detritus. The new stuff has this lovely 'funky' odor (one I have never smelled any before) and simply didnt do the job as far as picking up fine particulates. I ended up buying distilled water, iso-alcohol (I use it to clean the contacts on my electronics connections any way). Didnt try the detergent, but I think I will give that a shot here shortly.
Do any of you know if the round magnified mirror that is fitted to the backside of the DiscWasher folding stylus brush can be found? I have recently bought a vintage full display walnut set with the record brush and the stylus brush and the D4 record SC-2 stylus fluids which is imaculate as it sits but is missing the tiny 9/16 inch round magnified concave/convex mirror that is for stylus inspection. I'd be happy just to find a flat non magnified mirror in the same dimension just to make the tool look more presentable.
I would expect that a glass shop or hardware store that performs glass replacement would cut one to dimension.
Basically distilled h20 and ISO alcohol...not rocket science...start at 50/50 ratio...FWIW...never had great results with discwasher...I much preferred the LAST system form the 80s...but that went under as well.....
LAST has NOT gone under. Still very much alive(has expanded it's product line), and efficacious as ever(following a good VPI 16.5 cleaning). I've got three Discwasher systems, from the 80's, that I still use before every play. Disc Doctor's Quick Wash does a fine job of cleaning/destaticizing, in lieu of D3 or D4. ( http://www.thelastfactory.com/ )
50% distilled water and 50% rubbing alcohol.

Used it since the 60's and my albums do not snap, pop, etc.