AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Digital > 1329790774  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This
  Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC
After weeks of research, I scooped one of these up because the price seems unbeatable for the hardware/specs provided. $274 delivered from the Chinese mfr ($249 ex works).
Analog Devices 1955 chip; Burr-Brown OPA2604 op-amps; tube pre-out stage includes JAN GE 5670/2C51 tube "upgrade".
Also solid state pre-out.
Optical, Coax (RCA & F-type), and USB (asynchronous, using the Tenor 7022L chip) inputs.
24/96 capability (unfortunately does not go up to 192).
Audiophile S/N ratios for both outs.
-------------------------------
After only 15-20 hours listening and break-in, I am thrilled. The tube out is fantastic; so rich, so full, yet so clean and dynamic. No tube fog or any sort of masking, just pure enhancement. Can't really comment on solid state out because I'm so smitten with the tube stage. Very dimensional and natural.
This thang has made a BIG improvement in my enjoyment of CDs (using an old Phillips CD/DVD player as transport) and the tube out is a step or five up from the Squeezebox Touch DAC that is also part of my setup.
VERY pleased and looking forward to even sweeter sounds as the TubeMagic breaks completely in.
More to follow...
Colorfulpellets  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

02-20-12
  Responses (1-23 of 23)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

02-21-12   Hi colorfulpellets thanks for the heads up on this. i thoug ...   Jedinite24

02-25-12   When i saw this post i got excited, but the only thing that ...   Mjcmt

02-26-12   I just read my post and realized i could have been clearer, ...   Mjcmt

02-27-12   I didn't read any rudeness in your post, mjcmt (or can i ref ...   Colorfulpellets

02-27-12   Hi mjcmt i didn't see or think of any rudeness at all in yo ...   Jedinite24

02-28-12   Hey jedi, where do you live? if you're anywhere close to ch ...   Colorfulpellets

02-29-12: Jedinite24
Hey Colorfulpellets

Thanks for the invite but unfortunately I'm over in the east coast near NYC. Otherwise I'd be over your place with my DAC-09 for comparison, additional tubes for some tube rollin fun/confusion and beverages of choice.

Definitely keep us posted as you spend more time the the D2. I can understand your point though about the excitement of a new piece of gear in your system. Try to enjoy the music and not drive yourself too crazy with comparisons of old and new.

Jedinite24  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

02-29-12   Dang, bro. times like this make me wish i still lived up in ...   Colorfulpellets

03-01-12   I have maverick's first dac - the d1. it looks like they add ...   Strateahed

03-01-12   Great post, strate. thanks for chiming in, and i'm glad you ...   Colorfulpellets

03-01-12   Can you say how this sounds in comparison to the mhdt havana ...   Daffyd54

03-02-12   I cannot. i have no experience with the havana.   Colorfulpellets

03-02-12   Has anyone had the opportunity to compare directly a mav d2 ...   Floosh

03-02-12   Strateahed so far is the only one who could answer that ques ...   Jedinite24

03-03-12   Jedinite24 you're right ... that was my sentiment exactly. i ...   Strateahed

03-03-12   Interesting to hear your opinion on feeding this dac with sq ...   K330

03-03-12   Sorry the lastpass auto fill does not work properly on ipad. ...   K330

03-05-12   The d2 does not include a headphone jack. or were you thinki ...   Colorfulpellets

03-05-12   I'm thinking about using d2 as a dedicated dac for my music ...   K330

03-05-12   Price aside, i'd like to compare this d2 with my current ad- ...   Rx8man

03-05-12   Would be very interested in a comparison between d2 and metr ...   K330

02-25-14   Both, the d1 and d1+, use an electrolytic cap with a film by ...   C_avila1

02-25-14   D1/d1+ tube trials: ge jan 5670w: this tube came as an opt ...   C_avila1

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password