AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Speakers > 992401219  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

Speakers to hang on to for LIFE
After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
Ryllau  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

06-12-01
  Responses (751-788 of 788)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

12-24-13: Ctsooner
Very interesting list. We have a similar ear I think.

Sonus Faber Electa Amator- Agree
Sonus Faber Ellipsa-Agree
Artemis Eos Signature with Bass Modules-One of my fav's along with Sonus Extrema's
ProAc Response 3.8- Loved listening to them at my friend's store
ProAc Supertower- I have owned for years and am finally letting them go if anyone wants them, lol
Joseph Audio RM33
Joseph Audio Pearl
Quad ESL 988- Loved these both times I heard em
Vandersteen 4- Love the new ones BEST ;) (getting Treo's)
Gallo Reference 3.5
Dynaudio Special 25

Ctsooner  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

12-25-13   My dear friend : there is no such a thing as perfect speake ...   Fpooyandeh

12-26-13   Was that post for mine? i don't see where i said perfect. in ...   Ctsooner

12-30-13: Arcamadeus
Don't hang on to speakers for LIFE.
Spoil yourself.
New speakers may not necessarily perform better in any particular area than your otherwise excellent ProAcs, but you do get tired of looking at the same old two boxes day in and day out.
I recently switched from slow and dated [looking] Meadowlark Shearwaters to fast and sexy [looking] System-Audio Mantra 50s and have not regretted this move.

Arcamadeus  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

12-30-13   @ctspooner i've never heard the extremas but, have always lu ...   Joemarsh

12-30-13   I have gone through an embarrassing # of speakers in my sear ...   Mattnshilp

01-01-14: Ctsooner
I have loved the Supertowers for years and love them all over again since I hooked up the Ayre integrated. I get my new DAC/cable this week and can't wait to burn it in. I bet it's going to sound that much better. That said, I'm selling them off (let me know if interested) along with my other two sets of proacs so that I can afford the Vandy Treo's. I love the rightness of the Treo's, but I will be fine with the Proacs until I can sell them, that's for sure.

As for tired of looking at something, I'm past that part of my life. Maybe in a car, but not in a speaker. The tall, slim, teak Proacs are attractive to me and always have been. I've never been a B&W guy at all. Way to hot on the top end for me. The new diamond series are the first ones I can listen to that don't make my ears bleed. Again, I realize how popular they are and when I say that about their sound, I'm talking the top level ones since the 800's came out years ago. Just not for me, but many swear by them.

01-10-14   I just love vintage infinity's. had rs 6b when i was young a ...   Winnietp

01-18-14   None because the electronics in active speakers will fail in ...   Astrallite

01-18-14   Astrallite, i guess it is a matter of how old you are when y ...   Tbg

01-18-14: Phusis
I've long had a "sonic crush" on the sound coming from several cinema auditoriums and their associated speaker systems. This hasn't got anything to do with "hifi" per se (though strictly speaking, it should), but simply that the oftentimes effortless, full-bodied, dynamic, and indeed rather coherent presentation appeals to me immensely. That it doesn't relate to "hifi" (in the more or less traditional sense) as such is by no means to be understood negatively, but rather that it imprints itself intuitively as something "right." I find it the more interesting, even truer, that my impressions herein have been formed under conditions that "breaks" contrary to the typical environment under which we relate to hifi, that is in a darkened auditorium (usually) filled with people, no visible equipment, and a focus towards seeing a film.

This brings me to a shift or transition that is still underway towards... a settlement? Some 10 years ago a visit to a hifi-exhibition lead me to rooms with a range of horn-driven JBL speakers - the S4800's, Array 1400, and not least the overlooked S9800SE's. Here the sound, especially from the latter, in many ways gave me the sensation of "finally, at last" (closely related in some ways with the cinema sound experience mentioned above) and I simply kept hanging around and "inhaled" the music here for hours. I've not since become a JBL-fan, but it informed me about a preference that has since been sought after, albeit not initially with horns and compression drivers as the common denominator. Instead, my "deviation," so to speak, went from direct radiating tweeters to ribbon-based speakers (Raidho) and then to waveguide speakers going from the Finish Amphion speakers to US-based S.P. Technology/Aether Audio, and finally the Polish originated hORNS speakers where a variety of horns and waveguides are used in conjunction with compression drivers and pro-style mid/bass drivers, in what are usually 2-way systems.

What is to be brought from this is the addictive nature of the effortless, full-bodied and dynamic presentation from compression drivers paired with larger and efficient mid/bass units crossed over no higher than 1.4-1.5kHz - depending on the size of these units and their implementation. Moreover the mid/bass units here used are not sub-bass units per se, but have to be capable playing midrange as well - and this is very important; instead of trying to squeeze out sub-bass from one package a much more important emphasis is placed on the mid-bass and integration with the horn/waveguide and its compression driver, and so maintain only one cross-over frequency in a not too audibly critical spectrum. Whatever one seeks in the sub frequencies must be attained with the use of (preferably) two, or even more subwoofers.

So, this is not about a particular speaker or even brand to hang on to for life, but a speaker principle that has gone on to establish itself as indispensable compared to the more typical regime of hifi-speakers: direct radiating dome tweeters now sound thin, malnourished and strained; typical hifi mids sound compressed and lacking dynamic impact; and not least the upper bass/lower mids of typically larger multi-way hifi-speakers simply lack the cohesion to bind together this very important area with the rest of the frequency spectrum into a homogenous musical whole.

The typical application that is associated with this speaker principle I've now come to cherish for the last many years may not lead one to think of "hifi," but it doesn't matter - except for the ones who are lead to dismiss it out of a prejudiced stance; what matters is that it sounds like real, live acoustical music, something that would (or should) lead one to reevaluate the now established term "hifi" and question its merits as the true holder of the meaning 'high fidelity.' I don't disregard other opinions on what hifi is, but if the goal is seeking a live presentation of acoustical music in a real space environment then the matter presents itself less subjectively and into a different direction than where the established hifi-milieu has come to "coagulate" - if you ask me. Sorry for the detour...

Phusis  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

01-19-14   Phusis, i too went through discovering the speed of compress ...   Tbg

01-19-14   Tbg -- indeed no small measure to pursue. i can very much ...   Phusis

02-08-14   I love the posts from people that have been speaker swapping ...   Jaxwired

02-08-14   I must admit that some twenty-five speakers ago, when i boug ...   Tbg

02-09-14   After a thought i second joeyboynj... :). rel b2 is an outs ...   Jkuc

02-15-14   If you know how to set them up, altec lansing voice of the t ...   Vottboy

04-04-14   Revel m20s.   Sherman1125

04-12-14   If your switching speakers every 6 months your either very w ...   Rdiiorio

04-15-14   If everyone hand on the same speaker for life. we would list ...   Beewax

04-16-14: Ctsooner
There are many reasons folks hang onto speakers for life. Money is a huge thing. Just because there are advances in tech, often the gains aren't worth the price of admission. Also, the speakers are only as good as the system and room they are in. I have seen way too many folks change just to change and often they aren't happy with the changes. I have been around hi end audio since 1969 or so. I have had to take a few breaks as I wasn't able to be around it as much when I was in the Navy on ships away from land for a year at a time (other than three day port calls in third world countries). Then I was away from it for a few years due to kids and work. I recently came back and am playing some catch up, I have seen bigger advances in digital to where I can listen to it and enjoy it. I also see a huge change in some SS amps. I finally heard a SS amp I can live with (Ayre) and was able to get it. It made my vintage Proac Super Towers sound very good. I never realized it had the bass it has as I ran tubes.

The one thing I've heard that has changed over the last decade is that everything seems to be more 'revealing' or 'detailed' , but so much emotion has been lost in many products I've listened to. It's like we have the ability to now get more detailed, but only a few products allow the emotion of live to come through.

What is the true lifespan of a speaker? It depends on the person as Beewax posted. For him it's none, but for many they are fine with what they have. Tha'ts what makes this hobby so much fun.

04-21-14   I've owned a pair of apogee stages since 1991. others that ...   Curtt

04-21-14   I nearly got the stages they lacked bass and i didnt like t ...   Ctsooner

05-22-14   I've owned mcintosh srt22's since the 90'sand still remain p ...   Jegotcher

05-22-14   Rdiiorio, klh 9 for 42 years! any repairs? i replaced mine w ...   Tbg

05-22-14   Wow, that's a long time, lol   Ctsooner

05-23-14   I am original owner of a pair of ohm ls i still use and enjo ...   Mapman

05-23-14   I bought a ton of stuff at tech back in the day. i am sellin ...   Ctsooner

08-09-14   Ohm walsh 2. try others but never ever give them up!   Oblgny

08-11-14: Ctsooner
I remember how cool those OHM's were back in the day. They weren't for me. Even the MBL"s aren't my cup of tea, but I can see why folks love them so much. Again, we all listen for different things. This is interesting as it's not 'what is the best speakers you've heard', it's one that you have an emotional attachment to. I thought my Proacs would be with me til I died, even though I knew they weren't exactly what I wanted. The more I learned about listening I realized this year that I wanted new speakers. The Proacs kept sounding better and better, but I also knew it was time. They are still better than most speakers up to 2500 and someone will get a great deal on the towers and or matching monitors, but I wanted the Vandy's after hearing them. They just get it right, but they are also very expensive.

09-17-14   Von schweikert vr2s which i own. i also own vr4 ii with the ...   Aedv8sc

09-17-14   That brings back a memory. i built a kit from fried call the ...   Aedv8sc

09-17-14: Ctsooner
Nice list. Still selling off my Proac Supertowers in teak, lol....I've been fortunate to listen to most of your choices and have enjoyed them in various forms. I loved those EOS with mods as stands....they just looked cool. I think it was in a Dallas store if I recall correctly.

09-18-14   Harbeth m40.1. this speaker makes music listening enjoyable ...   Smatsui

09-24-14: Ctsooner
I got to hear those Harbeths with Audio Note gear earlier this year and they didn't do it for me. I've read the reviews on here as well as elsewhere. I get that they sound nice, but for me they are lacking in detail. I realize that you don't really get 'detail' in live music. I can fully understand how the Harbeth crowd feel about speakers that sound differently...I could easily live with the Harbeth sound as it's enjoyable,but with the Vandersteen upper end lines, I found the best of both worlds as they are faster in the mids and seem to be more revealing into the music. JMHO and I fully get where others are coming from. I got PRoacs over Spendors years ago, so I guess that's that's why I decided to go with 'that' sound over the Harbeth sound.

11-07-14   Listen to a full-sanders system; it is hard to say why, just ...   Luca58

11-07-14   Where can you hear them?   Ctsooner

12-19-14   I've had (and still have) three speaker systems "for li ...   Acrosonic

< Prev << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password