Maggie Disappointment

Not trying to bash my local rep, so I won't list where I live. Just wondering anyone's thoughts/experiences with Magnepan.

I listened to MG's about 12 years ago and was smitten, but the wife said no (small house). Now, bigger house, older kids, better pay...I'm thinking it is finally time. I listened to the 1.7 at our dealer; awesome. I even upgraded my amp to 250Watts a month ago thinking I would be moving to Maggies, and know they have a need for power.

But when I asked for a home demo from my rep(need to insure they work in my room, insure the wife is OK with them), I was told no.

Called Magnepan, as they have a deal to let people try them for 30days in areas without dealers. They'll even give you $100 to try them. But since I live in an area with a dealer, I was told no. Even talked to the marketing manager...still no.

I now just have a bad feeling about these. Very disappointed.

Thoughts? Suggestions on alternatives?
lisaandjon
Buy used and sell them at no loss if you don't like them Just bypass the dealer as you don't need them today.

Tell the dealer you're willing to pay a "rental" fee that will be charged if you don't buy.They will see you are serious. I would still bypass the dealer and make a great used buy. You will save big money at the same time!
Bring your wife and room dimensions to your dealer...and make a collective decision together...most hi end dealers don't allow home demos for large speakers due to time, labour, hassle, etc...although if u have purchased high ticket items before...different story...
If you live in the Chicago land area you could audition my pristine pair of 1.6's that would give enough of what 1.7's would sound like and look like in your room. Just give me a call at 219-365-4316.
U could also order smaller mmgs from Magnepan direct...60 day trial period...or just grow some balls and get 1.7s...only live once!...PS...I'm a bachelor. Hehe
You can buy a better speaker very easily on here for 2 k.
look for a Meadowlark, cheapest one they ever made will eat a Maggie for lunch .
Ditto Revel, Totem etc
"look for a Meadowlark, cheapest one they ever made will eat a Maggie for lunch."

On what planet? You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is. Same as mine...
Agree with Grannyring, buy them used, save money, and sell them if they don't work out.
How about you take the wife to the dealers for a look see, and listen to them. Then you can both decide if you should buy new, used, or shop for different speakers. Only slight problem with buying used Maggies is if the seller deosn't know how to correctly pack them they are more likely to get damaged. I owned a pair of the 1.6's and now have the 3.7's.
if you purchased the speakers from the dealer . Brought them home and wanted to return them after the sale . I could not see any dealer flatly refusing to do a return . Even here in Mpls , MN the dealer does not loan out the 1.7's . I was required to pay for the speakers in full . I told the dealer i had the 1.6's and if the 1.7's were not a huge step up i would be returning them . In the end i liked the 1.6 better and returned the 1.7's . Which the dealer obliged.Another dealer here is the same . you ask them for a demo and they state pay in full on credit card , return in time period and payment is refunded.
used: this is my preference, yes. But most are local pickup only.

I suppose I could pay new and hope the dealer will refund if I want to return. I'll ask about this.

Thanks all.

IMO, I wouldn't consider Meadowlark's to be an upgrade. Frankly, I think my Joseph RM22's are better than those.
The critical piece of advice above is to clarify the dealer's return policy in advance. If it's not printed on the sales slip, have them write it on and both parties initial it. Pay with a credit card. If you comply with the terms and they give you any grief, your cc company will handle it for you.
Call Magnepan back and explain the dealer's unwillingness to accommodate what they themselves offer via their own website. They should allow you the home trial and if you keep the 1.7s then they can pay the dealer the margin. If you return them, Magnepan is not in any worse shape than their website offers, and the dealer has no risk or reward. If you are in Charlotte NC by some chance, I have a pair of 1.6s you could try with a security deposit!
Don't call them again. Wait a few days so that the incident is not still fresh in their minds. Then have someone you know, that doesn't have a local dealer order them for you.
i don't live around Chicago, though I used to. Thanks anyway.

I did call Magnepan. intact, I told them i didn't want their $100 offer. I only wanted to try the Maggies in my home.

Oh well. Looks like it'll be used or something else.

Speaking of...any suggestions on a "something else". I'll spend as much as $4K on a new set to replace my Joseph's, but only if it's a very noticeable upgrade.

thanks again.
If you like panel sound maybe try Martin Logan , Sanders Sound , Kings Audio , Or any other panel speakers .They will all have the huge soundstage the maggies do .
I don't understand.. The 1.7 are relatively cheap at $1995.00 a pair list price. You listened to them at the dealer and loved them. As long as you can set them up correctly in your home ( room behind them etc) why not just buy them? Worst thing that can happen is you don't like them and you sell them.. Not like you'd lose more than a few bucks if you did..
"Speaking of...any suggestions on a "something else"."

Out of curiosity, a bought a 1.7's to see what they sound like. I was never able to hear a good demo of Magnepan speakers. I had them for about a year and put them next to my Vandersteen Model 2's, and swapped them back and forth for comparison. I tried them with a verity of electronics, as well. The Vandersteens beat them in just about any way I could think of. I was kind of surprised because I was expecting the Magnepan's to be better in some areas, and the Vandersteen's would have its strengths. I had several friends listen to both pairs also, any they all came to the same conclusion that I did. The 1.7's were very disappointing. You may want to consider other options.
Maggies offer in home when there is no dealer so you can hear them. That is a generous offer and a way for you to get to hear them when otherwise you would not be able to. No one wants to buy a product blind.

In your case there is a local dealer where you can audition them until your heart's content and therefore get a good idea how they sound.

Requesting that your dealer loan you a pair, imo, is not reasonable on a low ticket item. First, if he gave you his floor model he would not have any in store for others to hear. Secondly, if he gave you a new pair he would the have a used pair on his hands and loose money. Finally, his profit margin is most likely so low on this that going to your home and helping you set them up, etc., would, again mean that he looses money.

I don't think you are thinking this through very well and understand why magnepan has their in home policy. If you did you wouldn't feel victimized.
There is only one component I've every purchased that I didn't demo at home first (cd player). Perhaps I've simply been very lucky with my dealers up to now.

I would never expect a dealer to lose money lending me a component. The speakers I wanted to borrow were demos. I said I'd borrow them during their shut-down days. I said I could transport myself. And obviously I'd leave a CC# as collateral.

As I said, apparently I've been lucky. But my purchasing preferences are greatly slanted to customer-service oriented suppliers. I spend more to insure I have no worries if something goes wrong.
Post removed 
" I spend more to insure I have no worries if something goes wrong.
Lisaandjon (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

What's you secret? lol. Usually, spending more money only insures that you will be spending more money. And the numbers just keep getting bigger. Insuring that you will be spending more money.
01-28-15: Raymonda
Requesting that your dealer loan you a pair, imo, is not reasonable on a low ticket item. First, if he gave you his floor model he would not have any in store for others to hear. Secondly, if he gave you a new pair he would the have a used pair on his hands and loose money.
Not necessarily disagreeing, but my dealer lent me MG12s several years ago. I picked them up before close on Saturday, he's closed Sun and Mon, then I brought them back upon opening Tuesday.
When I bought them, he let me take the floor model for the week I waited for mine.
I had bought several pieces from him previously in that price range (amps, etc.). (Audio Systems, Austin TX)

Not all dealers can do that, of course. Just another perspective.
My local dealer sells Maggies. He has let me borrow other gear to try at home, but I have never pursued buying Maggies from him. Its one of the value added services a local dealer might offer a prospective customer. Its a dealer discretion kind of thing case by case though I'd think. I can understand Magnepan not wanting to undercut their dealers. So its an unfortunate case but perhaps not always so necessarily. Maybe the ops local dealer might reconsider.
I had the same experience with Maggies that Zd542 did. I really wanted to like them but next to my AudioKinesis Jazz Modules they were a disappointment. On the other hand the Quad ESL-57 speakers I have now are another story.

The Maggies are a great bang for the buck, but you can do better. Especially if you are willing to go to $4k.
Clio,

Do you have both the Jazz Modules and QUADS now?

What is your assessment of each?
Lisaandjon what amp(s) are you running?
maybe consider taking your amp to the dealer.
If you like them this way I would ask can I return them if they don't perform like this at my home?
Clio - I've heard great things about Quad's, of course, though never listened to them.

I can go to $4K. I have Joseph Audio Rm22si, which I think are great. I back it up with a Rel Strata iii sub, which may be overkill, but it's fun to hear the very deep bass, when it's in recordings. I auditioned Coincident Total Eclipse's at $4.5K and didn't think they were noticeably better than my Joseph's.

I'd like the best midrange I can get...as realistic vocals/acoustics as possible. No need for full range as the added sub seems to work for me. I love the huge soundstage of the Maggies, and presumably all Planars.

Thoughts? Maybe Quad is the way to go? Concerned about their exit from the US market (where I'm at).
"I'd like the best midrange I can get...as realistic vocals/acoustics as possible. No need for full range as the added sub seems to work for me. I love the huge soundstage of the Maggies, and presumably all Planars."

You need to focus on the entire system as a whole. Just buying a pair of speakers won't do it. In order to get the qualities you list above, you have to consider the electronics, or it won't happen.
Thank you, Zd, I understand. I'm using McIntosh MC2255, Mc Pre, and a mac mini. I THINK the Joseph's are the weak link, at this point. It's debatable, as with anything, but it's what I'm focusing on for now.
How about the new Janszen. Or The emerald Physics are supposed to be stat like .
OP-

this is indeed a strange situation. I would pass on the Maggies. There are much,much, better speakers in the market. Keep me posted & Happy listening!
"01-28-15: Lisaandjon
Thank you, Zd, I understand. I'm using McIntosh MC2255, Mc Pre, and a mac mini. I THINK the Joseph's are the weak link, at this point. It's debatable, as with anything, but it's what I'm focusing on for now."

You may be right, but looking at your system, there may be other considerations. What preamp do you have and what's your computer set up exactly? (Mac Mini, dac, ripping software, playback software, type of cables). I can't stress enough as to how important your preamp and source is for good sound. If you mess up one of those, it won't matter what amp and speakers you use.
I currently have both the Quad and Jazz Modules. I have always wanted to hear a set of Quad ESL-57s. Problem is finding a really good set or investing in a good restoration. I placed a WTB add on AC and a gentleman from TX offered me his set. Price was somewhat high for used, but they had an older QS&D refurbishing, including updated PS, clamp boards, Edison Price binding posts, IEC inlets, and original boxes. The cosmetics were excellent for their age as well and consecutive serial numbers. To be cautious I sent them to Electrostatic Solutions and Kent told me they were one of the best examples he has seen. Just as an FYI a complete restoration would have cost $2500 but Kent just cleaned them up and shipped them back.

Having both Atma-Sphere OTL amps and a Music Reference RM-10 I had two sets of amps that match up well with these speakers, much the same as they match up well with my Jazz Modules. I think the amp/speaker interface is most important and I have no issues with my combos. In any case the Quad ESL-57s are one of the best speakers I have ever heard. They do so much so well, even in the bass which is not supposed to be their strong suit. They do not play loud but anything over 85 db is too loud for me anyway. Bass is sufficient and I can play and enjoy a variety of music on them. I will say this, they remind me of my old Spendor 1/2e speakers, but without the box.

To invest in a set of Quad ESL-57s one should be prepared to restore them, so spending $4k is a good possibility. However, the suggestion to try the new Janzsen speakers is a good one. They were on my list too.

As for any comparison to the Jazz Modules I will say this. I am fortunate to have two sets of great speakers. The Jazz Modules are more dynamic, extend lower in the bass, and are quite musical, but the ESL-57s just plain make better music.
Guess what!? My favorite local used shop just got a set of 1.7's. I'm getting them. Some things are just meant to be.

Thanks for the advice, all.
Things in life have a way of working out if they are meant to be.
Enjoy the music, and let us know if the wife lets you keep them.
one recommendation with the maggies rear wave launch is to do some kind of treatment behind them . absorption or diffusion . also from the narrow dispersion it is good to treat directly behind the listener . Your soundstage will be pinpoint and holographic .the highs will not be so overly strong too.
"01-28-15: Jmcgrogan2
Things in life have a way of working out if they are meant to be. Enjoy the music, and let us know if the wife lets you keep them."

If you don't like the 1.7's, you can always turn them into doors. They're just the right size for it. Drill a hole and install a handle. Then mount some hinges, and you're all set.
Assuming you like the 1.7's and decid to keep them you can dramaticly improve their sound by using a pair of the Mye Stands. Sometimes you can find a used pair. Just saying...
I you can't bring the 1.7's to your room, could you take your amplification to their room? It doesn't remove all doubts, but a common disappointment with Maggies is that the home amp just isn't the right match compared to what the dealer uses.