Any gemme tanto v2 owners out there?

What's up guys? I was wondering if there were any tanto v2 owners out there? I recently purchased a pair and I am very happy with them but I was wondering how other owners have there speakers set up,what amps are you using? What kind of amps do you think sound better?Do you find they sound better biamped or not?Etc....
joehernandez509
I would be very interested in your reviews of these. Especially your room size and amplification. I apologize for somewhat hi-jacking you thread, but you're the first person I've heard that has these.
Currently I have my speakers biamped with a pioneer elite sc07 receiver (140 watts per channel or something like that)and I also tried it using the pioneer preout's to my fisher 500c receiver with incredibly good results. I actually still have it hooked up like that. I know these are not great amps and that's why I posted this thread because I am looking to buy a new amp or an integrated amp and was looking for suggestions. With that said so far I am very happy with the sight of and the sound of these speakers. Mine are piano black and just look outstanding. These little guys produce an incredible amount of sound and they go low. My rooms about 26'x14 and I can drive you out of the room with these speakers. Highs are crisp and clean soundstage and imaging are good and like I said these speakers will go low if the song has a low note they can reach it they don't have gut wrenching bass but they get down there. I cant wait to hear there full potential with better components.
If anyone has heard these speakers or has any opinions about them or would want to recommend an amp feel free to. Nothing over $1000 let's say. I am on a tight budget right now.With this budget I am obviously looking into used gear also.
With the Tanto 1 which I had owned, I had much better results with a high power ss integrated than with tubes especially with the bass response. With the tube integrated, bass was ordinary for a large floorstanding 2-way but with a 150w/ch ss amp - HOLY SH%$!! I had to take things off shelves as they would rattle when the speakers were playing. Simply amazing! SS amp was a Tact M2150 which I would HIGHLY recommend. Can pick up used models for @ $1200 ... the S2150 is essentially the same amp but w/o the volume control wheel and is available occassionally used ofr under $1000. Volume on the S version must be adjusted by remote control. If you only use digital sources, this amp is tough to beat in my experience.

Jeff
Thanks for response Jeff that is what I was thinking that a high powered solid state might be the way to go. But strangely enough I found my fisher 500c tube receiver about only 35watts produced better bass than my pio elite 145 watts per channel receiver. Better but still not what I think these babies can do. Don't get me wrong I am already hearing how low they can go but I still feel like it can be better it me with the impression that something is lacking a bit.
Hi all. I own the Tanto v1 and just love them! I've had good results with both Tubes and SS integrateds -- started with a Graaf GM50B tube, moved to a Gamut SI-100 SS, and now am using an EAR/Yoshino 988. Each one of them has had their own signature sound (a sign of a good speaker) but my fave so far is the EAR. It puts out 70W of class A KT90 tube power and delivers a deep, wide, lush soundstage. The bass was punchiest (of course) with the Gamut, but I'm happy with the tradeoff. Haven't heard the Tanto v2, but I imagine there's not much difference between the v1 and v2.

For your info, the designer of the Tanto, Robert Gaboury, voiced them with the Bryston 2B which can be found pretty cheaply here on A'gon or Ebay. You'd need a preamp if you decide to go this route.
Thanks Bob especially with that info about the bryston. I wonder if there's anyone out there that used the bryston with the tanto that could give us there opinion. I would think that if he used the bryston to voice that spearker then that would be the amp to get to achieve the sound the designer was seeking? What do you think?
I actually had a Bryston B100SST that I also used with the Tanto v1 ... the B100 did not have the same punch as the Tact which really suprised me given Brystons reputation for excellent bass. Other than that aspect, the Bryston was a nice match. The B100 has the same power output as the 2BSST.

Jeff
Do you guys think a mark levinson no 27 would be a good amplifier for these speakers ? I have a chance to purchase one for $1000 is that good?
I like the Levinson 29 better than the 27 but that is just my opinion ... less power but a sweeter sounding amp
Well the mark levinson did not work out I ended up buying a krell 400 integrated amp .
First, I love these speakers -- very fast and image like mini-monitors - the benefits of running with no crossovers. You can buy them for a steal now -- I'm not sure why other than to make way for new lines? Anyhow, in my opinion, the Tanto V2's sound much better with tubes than solid state. I ran them with a Pass X250.5 and a BAT VK55se and the latter is a magical combination. With a high sensitivity and good resistance, they were almost designed for tubes.
Glad to here some more feedback. So far I am very happy with the krell 400 and the tantos but I will wait a little to give a more detailed review of the sound. A question for anyone passing through. I have a lot of music stored on an external hard drive that I use to play through my receiver preouts and then connected to the krell. I would have receiver on pure audio so as to try to give the krell the purist signal possible. But I sold that receiver. Now I have a ps3 which I can also use but it does not play flac files. So now I know I could either buy another receiver or a cd player with USB input or is there a better way to go. Of Ian going to play digital I feel I need to have flac. So any advice would be appreciated.
A USB DAC would be a good addition for playing your computer files ... MANY options available these days. You can spend a little or a lot! May want a DAC that has more than just USB inputs if you have an older CD player and wish to use the DAC for that as well (assuming the player has digital outputs - not sure if a ps3 does)

Also, as a side note, if you live near anyone with a tube amp, give that a try with the Tantos. TUBES plus TANTOS = great music :)

Jeff

Jeff
I thought of a USB dac but the problem is I have my music stored on an external storage device so I would need something that could display track info so I don't think a USB dac would work ?
th tracks woulod have to display on your computer monitor unless you have something like a Squeeze Box product. Can then use the DAC internal to the SB or digital out to an external processor. SB Touch supposedly has a good DAC built-in; the Duet's is reputed not as good. I have no experience with either. there is also the much pricier SB Transporter
So external drive to squeeze box then from squeeze box digital out to external dac or just use a squeeze box. How good have u heard the dac is? Is it so good I would not need a dac?
I have the Gemme Katana 2s and played them with a Bryston 2BPro and was not impressed with this amp. It had enough juice (so to speak), but nothing special. I also tried them with a EL34 based tube amp - again, wasn't overly impressed with total performance. Tried them with a Pass Labs Aleph 5 (60@8/90 watts at 4 ohms), again, same general feeling.

I like these speakers and feel that they are fairly forgiving. My biggest complaint is the sound stage being neither deep or virtually nothing forward of the speaker plane. I normally run Wilson W/P speakers as my main speakers, but move the Gemme's in and out from time to time.

I now have a Levinson 334 and am planning on running the Gemme's this coming weekend to see if their sound stage improves with this amp (which has better soundstage performance than the other amps I ran these speakers with). FWIW, my room is treated at various locations with Real Traps. My speakers faces are 4 feet out from the wall. My other components vary at times but include: ARC LS16 MK 11 preamp, Levinson 390S CD/DAC and sometimes direct to amp, Esoteric SA-50 CD/DAC and sometimes direct to amp and of course a server based system (running into the DACs of the aforementioned CDPs).

I love the Gemme speakers, but am still trying to find the right amp to improve the soundstage, which is very good laterally and moderately deep (not deep enough with the abover referenced amps), but nothing forward of the speakers. I like a detailed, but not grainy sound over a warm/lush/bloated/loose sound.
Re: above JoeHernandez statement between the Pioneer and the older Fisher. Pioneer products IMO (I own one of their AVR surround receivers and other items in the past) are gimmicky over high performance or sound quality. The Fisher amp/receiver would have been made more toward making good sound v. the Pioneer. It doens't surprise me at all that this was your experience.

As to the Levinson, I did a quick hook-up of my 334 Levinson amp to the Katana 2s and there is more notable air, focus and better soundstage than with the other amps I used as referenced above. This is prior to taking the time to set-up best placement of the speakers and with my other speakers still occupying their space (which negatively impacts the Gemme's performance as it all sits right now). I will listen and tweak the set-up this weekend and report back my feelings of the Gemme's with this equipment and even a mini comparison between them and my Wilson W/P speakers.
...tonight I moved the Watt/Puupies out from their location (and away from any sound impact areas) and listened further to the Gemme Katanas, including tweaking placement, etc. . . This is the best that they have sounded (they always sounded very good, but now the stage is opening up with greater depth and focus - even some forward of the speaker plane). More playing around to come this weekend, including some other component changing and cabling changes to see how they respond and what sounds best.
Hi guy's

I own these and i tried them with a proceed Amp2 with great success. One of my friend bring 2 Bel canto mono Ref1000 and ,,,, wowwww what a difference, the bass is much tighter and the sound is more open at lower volume (i know that the proceed is a 150 watt and the Bel canto is a 500 watt,,, so i sold my proceed and bought a pair of Bel Canto ref1000 mono block. These speakers are marvelous to hear and beautiful. The only complaint is the 3 feet under each speaker. I call gemme audio and did you know that you could change the 3 feets of each tanto v2 for 4 feets of the new tanto v3??
Ckoffend,

So how is it coming along with the Katana and the ML amp? Do you think they're fine with SS power but maybe they need/like a little power behind them? Thanks for the great info so far!

John