AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Speakers > 1257432588  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

Zu Essence vs B&W
I am looking to upgrade from Klipsch RF-7s to Zu Essence but would also like to consider B&W. Any thoughts on how the Essence compare to 803s or even 803d? I listen to mainly rock and singer song writer (Avett Brothers, Bealtes, David Gray, Floyd, Stones)
Macallan7  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

11-05-09
  Responses (1-25 of 25)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

11-05-09   good grief! the zu speaker is so different from the b&w bec ...   Bombaywalla

11-05-09   I guess i want to know which one would be better suited for ...   Macallan7

11-05-09   I don't listen to the kind of music you do however i think t ...   Bjesien

11-05-09   As bombay notes above, these are very different spkrs. as a ...   Gregm

11-05-09   the problem with your line of reasoning is that the technolo ...   Bombaywalla

11-05-09   Macallen7, i looked back at a couple of your previous posts ...   Bjesien

11-05-09: Macallan7
Understood, but Zu does not sell to any local stores, I have heard the 802d but not the 803d. I have listened to Martin Logan, Klipsch, B&W and Von Schweikert.
Macallan7  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

11-05-09   No local stores, but they are doing a road tour, so check ou ...   Ton1313

11-05-09: Bombaywalla
11-05-09: Macallan7
Understood, but Zu does not sell to any local stores, I have heard the 802d but not the 803d. I have listened to Martin Logan, Klipsch, B&W and Von Schweikert.

that's quite good!
what are your impressions of the 802D sonics? when you reply, please state the components of the system that the 802Ds were connected to.

I would also like you read your impressions of the Martin Logan & Von Schweikert specifically in regards to why you thought that these speakers could not deliver what you are looking for. Thanks for the feedback.

Bombaywalla  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

11-05-09   Thanks. i heard the 802d with an all mcintosh front end, c2 ...   Macallan7

11-05-09: James63
How much are you looking to spend? I have owned klipsch and B&W in the past. I feel that klipsch's weak point is their vocals and I feel that B&W strong point is there vocals. I really like the 803s and think it would fit your bill. I feel that in the price range of the 802D there are better speakers (thiel 3.7, Martin Logan spire, Wilson Sophia, etc). But a used pair of 803s will bring a lot of the "B&W sound" with a much smaller price tag.

One thing is to keep in mind what you are use too. The are RF-7s are some what bright and forward. The ZUs might just be too different... But I think B&Ws will out class the Klipsch on almost all areas.

Also keep in mind that a used pair of Martin logan spire are under 5 grand and I think they are a big step up from the Vantage. I had both the spire and 802d in the same room for a demo. The 802d imaged much better but was also more "colored" though the midrange ( and need moster amps). the bass was faster and more controled on the spire. The highs were both top notch!

James63  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

11-06-09   The spire would certainly be on my list, vocals are my top p ...   Macallan7

11-06-09   i have not heard b&w 803's, but if your goal is as stated, ...   Rockadanny

11-06-09: Macallan7
That is what I have read, anyone compare to the Logans

11-06-09   I would advocate that you ask your dealer to let you borrow ...   Br3098

11-06-09   I haven't heard the essence, but i have 805's and if you're ...   Koven

I am looking to spend around $5K so the Logan Summit or Spire used would be in the ballpark and so would the 803s. I have an idea of the B&W vs Logan sound but have never heard the Zu. The Summit would be ideal if they could handle rock music. I will try to find a place to listen.

11-06-09   If you are used to klipsch speakers, the zu essence will be ...   Magnumpi205

11-06-09: James63
Well for what it is worth I listened to Metallica's Black album (among other rock) on both the 802D/803D and Spire. The spire had lots of bass and energy to well... Rock. They seemed to play what was there no more no less. While the B&W can "rock" too but they need to be played LOUD to come alive.

Logans can be pretty hard to place right. I find the bass integration changes with distance and integrate best at about 10 feet. If you sit to close there is too much bass and they can sound thin if you are too far back. They also need to be off the rear wall a good bit (most speakers should be anyway).

But really use your own ears and pick the one you like best. I would go listen to all of these speakers again and if you go with Zu have a money back guarantee. I believe any of these speakers will be a good up grade from Klipsch RF-7s

Thanks, the Spire and the Zu actually look like the best options at this point. Any thoughts on the Spire vs the original Summit?

11-06-09: James63
I have never heard the Summit but the word over at the Martin Logan forums is that the bass integrates much better on the spire.

12-20-09   Anyone familiar with the rf-7 and the essence?   Macallan7

12-20-09   i have b&w 802d but for your musical taste i would go with ...   Budt

05-01-10: Macallan7
i had a chance to go listen to the Spire's yesterday. I was actually disappointed. They did some things great, vocals were very upfront but so was everything else. They sounded interesting but not real. It seemed like the drums, guitar everything was on an even plane about a foot in front of the speaker. Also the sound off axis was a dramatic difference much more pronounced than the folks on the Logan forum care to admit. It was set up properly using an Ayre front end and they did sound good, just not what i was expecting.

What i was impressed with was the new 804 diamonds, they looked tiny in comparison but sounded just as big as the Spires. In fact they actually imaged higher and seemed more disconnected from speakers themselves. The bass was not as powerful but i think a sub could cure this. I had never thought about the 804ds but they are top on my list now. Would a sub cure the lack of slam?

05-07-10   Why don't you just audition the essence in your own home? zu ...   Afc

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password