AudiogoN
Search Buy Sell Learn MyPage
 Learn > Forums > Speakers > 1223044851  Start New Thread | Log In | Bookmark This

Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?
Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
Rebbi  (System | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

10-03-08
  Responses (2001-2027 of 2027)
Click title to read one, or click date to read all below it.

12-10-13: Bjesien
Mapman do you own OHM? If not you should. You'd at least be their most passionate sales person. Don't mean to offend, just speaking the truth.
Bjesien  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

12-11-13: Mapman
Bjen,

Check my system listing. I own 3 pair actually, 2 newer and a pair of older OHM Ls that I have held onto for many years and refurbed myself. I also concurrently run Dynaudio and Triangle speakers.

Yes, I walk the walk and talk the talk when it comes to OHM. I've wavered over the years, but ended up coming back. Home audio would hold a lot less appeal for me without the OHMs. They are most unique. Not for everyone, but OHM owners tend to be a dedicated bunch. I just happen to be one of the more passionate and vocal ones out there I suppose.

Mapman  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

12-11-13: Mapman
Bje, if you meant do I own the company (OHM) as opposed to the product, well, unfortunately the answer is no.

Maybe John Strohbeen will hire me as a promoter someday. I could live with that!

12-11-13: Parasound63
"Yes, I walk the walk and talk the talk when it comes to OHM. I've wavered over the years, but ended up coming back. Home audio would hold a lot less appeal for me without the OHMs. They are most unique. Not for everyone, but OHM owners tend to be a dedicated bunch. I just happen to be one of the more passionate and vocal ones out there I suppose."

Totally with you on this one. I still don't even seriously consider any other speakers.

Parasound63  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

12-12-13: Mapman
For me the OHMs are the most irreplaceable part of my system.

I could surely find another amp, pre-amp, DAC IC, digital source, phono, cart that produces really good sound besides the ones I own and also like, but nothing out there I have heard to date could replace the OHMs.

12-13-13   Map, totally agree with you on the speaker end, it is what o ...   Frazeur1

12-23-13   2006 posts on this thread and growing. wow! :-)   Rebbi

01-09-14   Just a ping for anyone interested that there is a very nice ...   Mapman

01-13-14: Ron325
I know this thread was supposed to be for the Micro Walsh, but since it's turned into an "Ohm" thread, just thought I'd mention...
Just bought a pair of used Wash 3's (haven't hooked them up yet), and the WAF was pretty low. Heh, I think she said, "those are the ugliest f$#@ing speakers I've ever seen in my life". I was like, "they don't have the grills on... check them out now". She thought they were slightly better with the grills. Haha, hope they sound good.

Ron325  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

01-13-14: Mapman
I once redid the fabric on the grilles on my original Walsh 2s myself for better WAF years ago.

I bought some loose woven (sound transparent)beige colored wool fabric at a local fabric store to better match the room decor at the time.

You could also just barely see through the fabric enough in good light to see the outline of the "can" inside, which made for a nice touch!

OHMs are a unique breed. Not all will love them. No technology exposed really to look at and marvel over! :-)

01-15-14   Well, guys, that's big advantage of a basement man cave! ev ...   Bondmanp

01-18-14: Buttecreeker
Been following this thread for quite some time. I pop back in from time to time. Something Mapman stated a few posts ago, struck a cord with me; "For me the OHMs are the most irreplaceable part of my system." I thought about that for a minute, and thought about all the gear that I have been through. But since purchasing a pair of Walsh 4's, back in 84'(to replace a pair of Bose 901's), that is the only component that I haven't replaced! Back in 2000, or so, JS and co. refurbed my 4 drivers, and as of a year or so ago I upgraded to the 4.5000's!

Every other component in my system has been upgraded/ replaced twice or thrice over, but I still enjoy the Ohm's!

Buttecreeker  (Answers | This Thread)

01-19-14: Mrjktcvs
This is my first AudiogoN post. I've been at the AVS forum for most of the past decade, but there aren't very many Ohm owners over there.

Like many, my first encounter with a Walsh-driven speaker was a demo of rosewood Ohm F's at a higher end dealer in the 70's. They were out of my league financially and space-wise.

Fast forward nearly 4 decades, and I was at my wit's end trying to get my existing system to sound decently for the past 3 years since I moved into my home. I have 4 Definitive Technology tower boat anchors and 2 Outlaw subs trying and failing to load my 4500 cubic foot living room with anything remotely resembling midbass. I finally decided that over time, these would get replaced. It's embarassing having a system that looks like it could shake the foundation and topple my home that sounds like some 60's handheld transistor radio.

It's only been a month, but I've already forgotten the thought process that led me to googling "Ohm Acoustics". Unlike many others on this thread, I have no history at all with Ohm beyond that demo. I had no idea the company was still in business. I avidly read about half the posts on this thread. I decided to order a pair of MWT when I saw that they had B-stock available at 2005 prices. They had only one pair that already had the oak veneer applied, which would not have been my first choice. I also noticed that they were a couple of days away from the 2 week holiday shutdown, so I sent an email the next morning to try to find out if they were going to be able to process my order before the recess.

I didn't get a response all morning, so I called and left a message with the receptionist for someone to call me back. John called me to tell me he wasn't so sure they could send them out in time. He also responded to my email. That was fine with me, as I didn't want to spend part of my own time off sitting at home waiting for the delivery. I wrote him back telling him about my demo experience and difficulties with my setup, though I intentionally left out the size of my room. That did the trick, he called me back about 2 hours later to tell me the speakers had shipped.

Having liberated the speakers from the multiple layers of shipping cardboard, my wife remarked how well the oak matched our furniture. It's a lighter color than any monitor I have viewed the website with indicated.

Micro Walsh Talls in 4500 cu.ft.? I threw on the Beatles Love DVD, and for the first time we heard Paul McCartney's bass outside of the Beatles Love theater at the Mirage. We looked at each other and giggled like schoolkids. I haven't told her that I plan on making the MWTs the surround speakers. I have my eye on the 4000 for mains.

Mrjktcvs  (Answers | This Thread)

01-19-14   Great story. its cool how we remember what we heard years a ...   Mapman

01-19-14   I've heard goldenear speakers recently which is a definitive ...   Mapman

01-19-14   Well, i simply replaced the mains with the mwt and didn't so ...   Mrjktcvs

01-19-14: Carja
I changed my listening setup a bit (see my virtual system) by getting a superb rack at Timbernation. It's made of tiger maple and walnut, a good compliment to the Bubinga of the Ohm 5000's. Now I get visual as well as aural delight!

Since my Chinese preamp has no phono stage (BTW, Pacific Valve the importer is out of business) I upgraded to Liberty Audio's B2B-1. This phono stage is unbelievable and I have it written up in another post. Now I'm waiting for a Lyra Delos, as I accidentally bent the cantilever on my Audio Technica. Bent it back and aligned it, but something seems different about the sound.

No doubt that the 5000's are overkill, but they can assume a commanding presence. Most of the time I respect my neighbors, but every so often I crank them up.

Carja  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

01-21-14: Polarin
Mrjkycvs as a proud owner of Ohm Walsh 3's I've no doubt about your love for the MWT's. BUT, as a former owner of Definitive Technology speakers I can't help but think you're embellishing your criticism of those speakers just a bit. I mean Def Tech towers + subs sound like a transistor radio from the 60's and unable to fill a 4500 cubic foot room? Something in your setup had to be amiss because one thing I know Def Tech's to be able to do is fill a room. Anyway I'm not trying to rain on your parade as you are obviously ecstatic with your Ohm purchase but I had to call a foul on your assessment of Def's...
Polarin  (Answers | This Thread)

01-22-14   A pair of walsh 5 series 3 is up for auction today on audiog ...   Carja

01-30-14   I'm digging my walsh 3's. granted, they are a lot bigger tha ...   Ron325

01-30-14   Just to jump in, the experience mrjktcvs had with deftech to ...   Parasound63

01-30-14   My main problem was that i was trying to use a home theater ...   Mrjktcvs

02-04-14: Mrjktcvs
Been catching up on the entire thread, now up to page 27 and the posts are now only 2 years old.

I sacrificed my vinyl collection in Europe 20 years ago because I deemed them to not be worth their weight in shipping costs to return back to the U.S., so I'm 100% digital. One of the factors I weighed was while I was living there, I purchased a DAT so I could create copies of CDs that I was able to borrow from my client's library, which was largely French garbage as it turned out. This slightly predates the availability of CD recorders for home entertainment systems.

I have discovered some modern sonic classics for demoing/evaluating components. I normally wouldn't bother with live recordings for critical listening, but there are a couple of standouts in my collection:

Diana Krall's Live in Rio on blu-ray. The opening track is one of the more sparse arrangements on the disc due to a backing orchestra, and I love the way the MWT handles the upright bass, making me grin as much as the player does.

Second is called the Legends of Jazz Showcase, a compilation of songs from the TV show hosted by Ramsay Lewis.

Next is from AIX Records that is mainly a vehicle for 3D video demonstration called Goldberg Variations Acoustica, but the company's raison d'etre is superior sound.

And finally, I splurged for the DSOTM blu ray package from 2011 which includes various DVDs and CDs as well. The blu ray has 3 sound options, including LPCM 2.0 sampled at 96Khz/24 bit.

My own 5.1 system is in a state of flux, and I'm currently working on infrastructure. I recently purchased 5 Transparent Audio ICs, with speaker wire to be upgraded next. I also bought the Walsh Center Channel speaker, the one pictured on the Ohm website link to the center channel page. I haven't brought that home from the office yet, because my TV needs to be raised 2 more inches to accommodate it.

Mrjktcvs  (Answers | This Thread)

02-15-14: Finsup
Received an email today for John Strohbeen, president of Ohm Acoustics Corp. which I copy here:

We are having a 3-Day SALE with:
20% off new speakers
20% off upgrades
20% off parts and service

An extra 20% off items in our Outlet Store where discounts of up to 30% are already in place on limited items.

20% off Everything!

Ends at 11:59PM on Monday, February 17th.

Use the coupon GEORGE20 when you check out to get your discount.

I'll be at the factory (800-783-1553) on Monday for 11 AM to 6 PM.

John has a few sales per year. The terms usually vary. This looks like a way to save money on just about anything he offers. Other sales have sometimes been limited to certain products, etc.

Finsup  (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

03-28-14: Bondmanp
Mapman - I never liked Def tech speakers (although I have an old PF15 sub for LFE use only). But I really like the Golden Ear products. I know, same designer. But that folded ribbon tweeter is so sweet compared to the harsh metal domes in the def techs.

Anyway. Had an audiophile buddy over recently to hear my Ohms. He is a speaker designer himself, and quite knowledgable and skilled. He liked the Ohms a lot, although he remarked that they were a little rolled off up top (I like it that way), and not quite as airy as his own designs (which I have heard, and I agree). He also used his iphone to measure my in-room response. It was surprisingly smooth except for an odd dip around 500Hz (narrow-band). It did tilt down a bit from left to right, as I expected. Remember, I toe them in a bit, which will roll off the highs a little. All done on purpose.

Bondmanp  (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers | This Thread)

03-28-14: Mapman
No doubt toe in/out will effect air in any speaker, but more so with OHMs in standard setup where tweeter is normally facing/toed-in 45 degrees.

Sounds like your buddy has good ears!

My Dynaudio monitors also tend to have more "air" than the OHMs in most setups.

Yes, I liked the GE Aon folded ribbon during short audition, but not sure if it might be a bit too polite for me over the longer term or not. A mixed bag there but I liked the large Aon very much especially at its price point overall.

04-03-14   I had some of the martin logan motion series speakers that i ...   Frazeur1

< Prev << 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41

Post your response
Subject

Your response

No html, but you may use markup tags

Username
Members only

Password