Von Schweikert VR4 SR IV

I am considering to purchase a pair of VR4 SR IV to replace PMC OB1. Presently I am using Bryston 7B SST monoblocks, BP-26 preamp and Reimyo CDP-777. Users detail comments and suggestion would be helpful. Thank you.
ah023
Post removed 
Hello.
I own a pair of VSAVR4 Gen III SE's. I can tell you, amplification will make or break you acceptance of this speaker. After trying many amps (both solid state and tube) the one that hit the home run with me was the Audio Research VT100 MkII. Another favorite, if you want to go solid state, of mine was the Levinson 334. I just liked the tube magic of the VT100, however the Levinson 334 was very good as well.
The VR4 is an extremely neutral speaker, what goes in, comes out. Meaning? You'll hear ever little change in front of the speakers. As a further suggestion, pay close attention to your speaker cables. I've had much luck with the Purist cables. I hope this helps.
Post removed 
If you're looking for a speaker that can re-create a live music venue, and want a speaker that does all facets of the game well at a reasonable price, then the Von Schweikert VR-4 SR is for you. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone seeking to upgrade their system and to bring them to the next level. I wrote a brief overview on another thread here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1149909828&read&3&4&

Hope this helps.

Good luck !
If you're looking for a speaker that can re-create a live music venue, and want a speaker that does all facets of the game well at a reasonable price, then the Von Schweikert VR-4 SR is for you.
The VR-4 SR is indeed an excellent speaker. However, I'm not aware of any live music venue that does not project the sound through horn speakers.
Great horn speakers, if done right costs a lot relative to the VS VR-4 SR. Also, some horn speakers are big, and people with normal sized rooms are not practical enough to house them. So unless you have the room and the money, you can get comparable performance from the VS VR-4 SRs.

I am a big fan of horn speakers, especially the Acapellas.

But they are sure damn expensive and huge (at least the horn part).
The fact that some horn speakers cost more than the VR4 SR--and many don't--has nothing to do with the point that to even remotely sound like a live venue, one would have to be listening to a system that uses horn speakers. Because live music venues, from nightclub to the symphony hall, employ them. I'm not suggesting they're better, worth the price, or whatever. I am, however, disputing the often heard claim that "it sounds like live music" when the stock ingredient (horn speakers) is missing from the equation.
Horn speakers only do dynamics better, what about ambiance, sound quaility, frequency response, etc., etc., live music has a lot of facets.

The VR-4SR line no matter what model from VR-1 to VR 100 recreates music that is very revealing in regards to the system and recording.

Mr. VS himself said he uses in his opinion the best midrange driver in the world on the VR4SR, and I can't argue with him on that.
Horn speakers only do dynamics better, what about ambiance, sound quaility, frequency response, etc., etc., live music has a lot of facets.
True enough, a lot of facets to live music. And every one of them being passed through a horn speaker. You want it to sound like a live venue? You have to start with the type of speakers being used in live venues. That's ALL I was saying. A box speaker is not a horn speaker, a CDP is not a turntable, and SS is not tube...despite the often-written, enthusiastic attempts to morph the very nature of the component.
A nice upgrade. However, you might also consider a higher model PMC with a bigger woofer. It really depends on what you dislike about the OB1's? (Value for money the OB1 is quite hard to beat in its price range.) My suggestion would be to audition Energy Veritas too. G'luck!
And every one of them being passed through a horn speaker.
Assuming there is sound reinforcement involved.
Assuming there is sound reinforcement involved.
If any speaker in an audio system sounds like unamplified music, I'll be first in line to buy it. Though I presume I'd have to jettison the amp as well, right?
While I agree that many (perhaps most) consumer speakers sound compressed especially at high levels (horns are much better in this regard). I am not sure you necessarily have to go to a horn speaker design to create the SPL levels and dynamic range typical of live sound. Home venues are a lot smaller than most concert settings. Besides I don't see any requirement for live music in the initial thread.
The best speakers of various technologies can sometimes approach certain aspects of the sound of unamplified music, e.g., horns with dynamics, 'stats with...whatever. So you picks your poison I suppose.
True enough, Drubin. Here, I think I got hung up on a point and micro-churned it. Gotta cut back on my coffee intake. :-)

It's funny that nearly five months after initiating this thread, the author has never responded to any of the feedback.
I would let the price of the speaker stabilize. They raised the price to 10,000, but then it looks like you can buy them new online for 40% less. Thats all.
Ah023....
I'm curious what you ended up with. Did you get to audition the VR4 SR? If so, how did they compare to your OB1's?

calgarian