Klipsch love them or hate them.

My best friend drives me crazy.Every time we get into a discussion about audio,he tells me how great klipsch speakers are.I think they are the worst speakers.What do you think!
taters
Actually, Taters, there a many speakers sold today that are far worse than the Klipsch line. I'm not attacking your point of view, but rather want to offer a somewhat different perspective.

I had a part-time job in the early 1990's and I sold Klipsch speakers as one of several product lines. Klipsch speakers may not appeal to your personally, but there are some things that they do very well. Without question, their inexpensive models have some major weaknesses, but their better models (such as the Fortes, Belles, LaScala, and K-Horns) are good to very good examples of horn-based speakers. Again, you may not like the sound of horn speakers, but they are capable of very dynamic presentation. The biggest drawback I found with the better Klipsch models is their lack of good low bass, which usually requires reinforcement with a good subwoofer.

It's useful to remember that Paul Klipsch first designed the K-Horn prior to World War II, and it was a hell of a speaker in the early days of the "hi-fi" industry. I think that the Klipsch line, along with Altec, is the oldest speaker manufacturer still in continuous business.
LOVE THEM, I HAVE BEEN USEING A PAIR OF CHORUS II FOR OVER 10 YEARS. THEY DO HAVE A DISTINCTIVE SOUND THAT I FIND PLEASING. I HAVE AUDITIONED SEVERAL SPEAKERS IN THE YEARS SINCE PURCHASING THESE AND HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING IN MY PRICE RANGE THAT HAS PERSUADED ME TO REPLACE THEM.
CHRIS
I would put my 2002 Klipschorns (newly redesigned this year) against ANY other design anywhere near the price. I am completely amazed at how much more transparent these speakers are than earlier iterations. They produce some of the cleanest and most airy transients I have ever experienced. I have not heard some of the other Klipsch offerings, but I really don't miss my Magnepans or Martin Logans at all!
Unfortunately, many Audiophiles look down their noses at Klipsch.
I personally dont care for the La Scalas, and the Belle Klipsch.
However, the Klipsch Epic series are truly audiophile speakers, with smoothness and 3 dimensional imaging, and the ability to kick ass as well.
ONLY the first two versions of the Klipsch Epic;s are worth anything, the third version was ruined because it didnt sound like a Klipsch !
Go figure.
But the first two versions of the Klipsch Epic Cf3 or CF 4 truly do it all.
I have owned everything from Quads B&w, Spica, Acoustat, Maggies, KEF, you name it.
A properly set up set of Epics can be mindblowing, for real.
Perhaps its the NEO Magnet drivers in the Epics, the D'Appolito alignment, the oxygen free copper wiring, or a combo of the above, but for those of us " in the know " it dont get a whole lot better than a set of Epics properly set up.
They need to be bi amped w/ a Multi channel amp that has level controls, so you can set the EXACT level of the drivers to YOUR room.
You use 4 amp channels of a multi channel amp, one for the horns, and one for the mid woofers of the left and right speakers.
Then Hang on tight!
They will image like an 801, sound warm and rich like a Vandersteen or the old KEF's, have excellent detali w/o brightness and kick unadulterated ass when ts time to Rock.
They have an absolutely HUGE 3 dimensional soundfield, and will put sounds WAY outside the speaker on a daily basis.
Its a pity the powers that be at Klipsch discontinued them, but Shit happens.
Just be absolutelu SURE they are NOT series 3 versions, whatever you do!
The first versions are coveted by those in the know, then the Klipsch dealers bitched that they didnt sound like the other Klipsch speakers, so on version 2 they raised the box tuning and played with the horn level to make them more Klipsch sounding.
Version two are ok, as you can buy the better 5 inch ports from klipsch, and then bi amp them to return version twos to their former glory.
BUT, version 3 had lighter woofers for more efficiency, but there went the magic midrange of the older, heavier cones.
They get the midrange magic by using a stiff, heavy cone for good damping, then they put a large voice coil and a neodym magnet on it for efficiency.
I own a pair of La Scala's and two pairs of Forte II's. I love both designs. IMHO the newer Klipsch products do not approach the Heritage line of products of which Paul W. Klipsch was the primary designer. I think that their speaker designs started going downhill as Paul had less and less to do with the company he founded as well as with the products themselves. I think it was beginning in the late 80's or early 90's that Klipsch (the company) started to make products to compete financially with the mainstream of mass-produced "Hi-fi" speaker manufacturers the likes of Bose. Horn speakers definitely have a distinctive sound to them. Whether you like them or not depends upon your own personal preferences as well as the kind of music you like to listen to. I think they excel in lifelike dynamic presentation of vocals and acoustic instrumentals, especially strings. I'd strongly agree with sdcampbell as far as which models were better. The Forte's and Chorus are also great speakers for what you pay for them, and match very well with tubes and are very SET-friendly, as are the larger models mentioned previously. I wouldn't touch any of the newer speakers, with the possible exception of the Jubilee, which is also Paul's design. I don't know if they are available yet though. There is an excellent biography of Paul W. Klipsch titled, "Paul W. Klipsch, The Life... The Legend" by Maureen Barrett and Mike Klementovich, which is a fascinating look at PWK's life and work. He was certainly an extraordinary and eccentric man, and that book is well worth reading if you have any interest in some of the history of our passionate pursuits. Sadly Paul W. Klipsch passed away in May of this year. He was 98 years young!
For music there are plenty of other speakers I prefer over the Klipsch Heritage line, the other klipsch lines I personally don't care for. For Home Theater though I don't think there is another brand I would ever use.

I personaly feel the Klipsch Academy center channel is the best center I have ever owned. I have owned the B&W HTM, M&K S-150, Thiel SCS and MCS1, and a few other center channels that I auditioned at home.

It was while helping my brother to put together an inexpensive but enjoyable HT that I discovered Klipsch myself.

I know use the Academy center and Forte II's in the front and would like to get a pair of Academy's or 4 for the rear. If I could buy 6 matching Academys I would use them at every channel (except the sub of course)

The Forte II are also great and if I had the room and the space then I would use it at all the channels.

What the Klipsch speakers give me for home theater that I lacked with all the other speakers I tried was just a total envelpoment in the movie. The Academy is also the only center I have owned that you never have to ask "what did they say" dialogue is unbeliavably clear and that, IMHO is the center channels main job.

For music the Fortes are very enjoyable but they can sometimes be a little larger than life. With the wrong electronics they can drive you crazy as well.

The best way I can describe using the Klipsch Academy and Fortes is to say this, with all the lights off and a movie playing you are really transformed into the movie. You really get a feel of the best movie theater you have ever experienced, doubled. They are effortless for HT and a hell of a lot of fun.

I have been an avid audiophile and videophile for about 10 years and even though I have owned systems valued at over $25,000 (Proceed, Plinius, Parasound, Thiel, Velodyne, Pioneer Elite LD & DVD, Cardas, etc..) This is the most fun HT system ever....... isn't that what it's supposed to be about anyway?
You know If Klipsch made a speaker that was as uncolored and refined soundding(or at least close for the money) as the AVANTGARDE HORN speakers, I'd be a DEFINITE FAN!!! COME ON KLIPSCH!!!!..I'M ROOTING FOR YA!!!!
For over 10 years now I've been selling Klipsch speakers on a retail level. I've had people bring their older Heritage series speakers into my shops, and/or telling me how great their LaScalas or K Horns sound and such. But I have yet to hear one pair that I thought sounded "all that"!!! I sure wish I could JUST ONE TIME hear a pair(or whatever) of Klipsch speakers(or combo of equipemt) that sounded transparant, uncolored, and refined!!! I SOOOOOO MUCH want to hear a pair of K's that sound really really good...and I'll tell you why....
I REALLY love the dynamics and pressence that you get from a lot of these Klipsch passive speakers potentially, and the advantages that offers for movies and dynamic music/sound, and that they are easy to drive with any amp!(also tubes) My complaint thus far with the Klipsch's, at least ALL THE ONES I'VE HEARD, is that they are just too colored, and not so extended sounding sometimes(although horns can be very detailed). Or they just don't seem to be transparant and dissapear well enough for my tastes. While they can be detailed and involving, and the dynamics and pressence are fantastic with the right set up and equipment, I can never get past the limitations. I mean I hear a pair of uncolored or refined(although not nearly as dynamic and effortless sounding) Thiels, or Maggies, or Wilson's(better dynamically than a lot however), even stuff from modest 'ol NHT's line, and I wonder why Klipsch's can't produce that kind of transparancy and lack of coloration!?!
Still, from years of dealing with the Klipsch's, I keep hoping someone will enlighten me on some "modification"(like I've heard about crossover upgrades for Klilpsch's, but don't know if it makes a difference) or "obscure" model of Klipsch's that I'm not aware of, which will make me get excited about trying a K speaker! I really really want the K's to sound better than they do! I love the benefit a high sensitivity speaker offers for HT and rock music, and the pressence that's available with even low wattage amps. I know you're going to get steap roll-off off axis and all, but I can work with that(although you sure get better off-axis sound from COMMERCIAL MOVIE THEATER SPEAKERS!!!...anyone know why theater horns have so much better dispersion?).
Build me an affordable Klipsch speaker that sounds even remotely "hi-end" sounding and "uncolored", and I'll buy one right now!!!!!!
I've certainly come to the realization of the limitiations of passive speakers in general dynamically, and horns certainly do better in efficiency and sensitivity(and thus dynamic ease). So I like what "potential" the horn has to offer in the right design.
I keep hearing tons of very clear and uncolored sounding speakers over the years, but most of these passive designs are very flawed dynamically(but then we're talking "passive crossover network designs"). Avantegard has the whole "uncolored" and very refined and high end thing down, but they're BIG BUCKS! I want BUDGET MID-FI PRICED SPEAKERS that sound as clear as a pair of old NHT 1.5's or better, with ultra high sensitivity like what Horn speakers offer! Otherwise, I will continue to crave "powered speakers" from higher end manufactures(still rare), or active speakers(also rare) with "higher refinement"!
If anyone has some input there I'd love to hear it.
I'm certainly not an expert and I'm really speaking from my mid-fi perspective, however I agree with Jax2. The original Klipsch products, now referred to as the Heritage line, were awesome speakers and were very well made.

In the mid '80s, I had a roommate who had a pair of Heresys driven by some top-of-the-line Yamaha gear (way back when Yamaha made some quality stuff), and supplemented by an M&K subwoofer. I spent five wonderful years with those speakers and I was pretty bummed when we parted ways.

Around the same time, I had a friend who owned a pair of LaScalas paired with Carver (I think). It was a great setup for cranking up classic rock and R&B. A mutual friend purchased a brand new pair of Boston Acoustics A400s and carted them over to compare to the LaScalas. If I remember correctly the A400s did provide a little more detail than the LaScalas, and they looked really cool too. But at the end of the evening (and the end of a bottle of Jack Daniels) the speakers that I would have wanted to take home were the Klipsch.

I've met several Klipsch fanatics like your friend. In my experience they are always people who have spent time with the Heritage products, and not the recent Klipsch designs. While I no longer think that Klipsch speakers are 'great' as your friend does, I would have a hard time passing up a pair of old Klipsch if the price was right.
I think that the "classic" series were their best products and even these need a lot of help in stock form. The cabinets resonate like mad, the cabinets are not very well sealed, the horns ring like crazy, the drivers suffer from severe diffraction, the wiring is attrocious, etc... Luckily, these are all things than can be taken care of with a little "TLC" : )

Most of their newer stuff is pretty bad sounding in my opinion. Take all of the above-mentioned flaws and then try to make the finished product even cheaper. Don't know about the latest K-horns, but most of the others hurt my ears. Sean
>
I own a pair of Klipsch La Scala's. They have been an interesting and enjoyable experience so far. They are *very* revealing. I did the ALK Engineering crossover upgrade, and it helped some things, hindered others. I did a lot of A/B and found that the original cross-overs had a weird fuzz to the high frequencies that the new cross-overs cleaned up well. My main problem is my room is way too small for these puppies. I first started them with an integrated home theatre amp, but now they are on a more purist system: no pre-amp, musical fidelity A3.24 DAC from a computer downstairs is feeding two Antique Sound Lab 845 (golden ear award) amp's (amazing value for money). I used to have a 'passive preamp' (what a dumb name) in the chain, but the coloration was big. I never used to believe in cables, but it is quite apparent to listen to differences in cables with this system. Right now it's Cardas neutral reference. I even heard rather surprising changes when I upgraded power cables, added the power filter, etc... the 'audiophile' experience. What a glorious waste of money.

A friend of mine from China dubbed it 'the best system he's yet heard in Canada' -- no small compliment from this guy).

It's an interesting polarizing speaker (the La Scala). Some really dig it, other's really hate it. I've really mellowed it out to maximize on its good points. Why, just today I added a carpet to my hard-wood floor. I've also mounted the speakers on aluminum cones, with brass pucks. Dozens of tweaks (re-wiring speakers, etc...). It's a lot of fun.

But wow, the sound. I was listening to a 20grand setup (a Musical Fidelity Trivista statement amp, crazy cables, and a sonus faber setup) and just said 'nahhh'. While that system had many good points, it was too laid back and reserved. The La Scala's spray sound -- not the best for imaging, but a wide sound field really makes live performances sound live.

I have augmented them with some Vandersteen subwoofers (2x 2wq) which is actually a very subtle blend. If anyone gets subwoofers, I recommend doing the stereo subwoofer experience. The Vandersteens are pretty nice if you want to have bass, but not hear a sub-woofer. They have some clever filter concepts.

I consider this system to be my 'best tube system', and now I'm building a solid state system to compare it to. I'll play dueling bango's in different rooms ;)

I'll never get rid of the La Scala's (they're too big to move!)
What do you think! I think they are the worst speakers
Well you just had to ask ... so I'm just going to have to tell you that your statement is one of the most ignorant I've ever read on this forum. Nice troll
I think you havent heard BOSE speakers yet! Or even some
crap blaster KLH's from Costco...
Well I must say I have to amend my previous post here. After all that I said previously regarding the Klipsch Line, and my experiences with them, I now have a new reference for which I'll be using for budget HT rigs from now on!...the little Klipsch SB-2's/1's!!! Wow! I stubled across these speakers by chance some time back, and I picked up a pair (SB1's...soon to be SB2's). Tubes tubes tubes!...is what these speakers shine with!
I am soooooo thrilled by the sound I'm getting with these little buggers! Dynamics, detail, and clarity a-plenty! I have yet to find a more effective and refined sounding HT/music speaker for the money, that will blow your socks off for just about anything you play through it!!!..very nice. I've owned LOTS of very expensive speakers over the years, from Thiels, to Sonus Fabers's, to Merlins, to some higher end Dedicated rather superb high end HT speakers like Infinity Prelude MTS'S! And as of now, I can't think of anything I'd rather use for a modest HT/music speaker in my rigs!..the sound is that good!
Again, the key to making these sound right is tubes!
I used to be a Klipsch "nay-sayer", and was rather dissinterested. Then I played around abit and came up "pay-dirt"! too bad these are discontinued...they got's lot's of potential!!! I've rewired mine with some higher end Audioquest 6/9's copper wiring from some CV6 I had, and it's improved even more!. I might tinker more later I think. I'm having fun anyway...
Definately 2 different camps on this one! Personally, I find they irritate my ears, literally I find that my ears sort of itch internally after listening to them. Other speakers rate frequency response +/- 3db, Klipch (at least used to) rate their speakers +/- 1.5 db. They have no where near a flat response. Like all things in audio, there are comprimises. Where they give back is in effiency and dynamics. I have a SET amp and frequent such web sites where there are a lot of Klipsch fans. The fact that some of their older speakers are still going strong supports the fact that they are well made. Personally, I do not think I will ever own a pair. I am leaning towards a DYI/Fostex based speakers next time around.
The trick with the Klipsch's I'm referencing (SB2's) is TUBE GEAR!!!...yes, unforgiving solid state makes them too foreward and in your face for comfort if not careful. Balance is the key, and a properly mated tube amp does the trick!
Keep in mind, when considering HT speaker applications, MORE PRESSENCE is better than laid back standard audiophile speaker sound for involvment!
I used to have Thiel 1.5's, which were superb little music speakers. Even as a speaker that was a bit foreward in the mid-trebble, they were too laid back for "thrilling" HT dubties, and just sounded a bit uninvolving, if pretty sounding. That is one of my complaints with most high end speaker designs being SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to sound laid back through out the midrange! This complaint has been made by more than a few Stereophile reviewers over the years, including J. Gordon Holt. If you do chose a speaker like this for HT dubties, besides other factors in design, the results isn't often as good as whata dedicated HT or a good horn speaker can do for a movie soundtrack, done properly.
I think this is part of the reason a lot of guy's use separate rigs for their 2 channel vs. 5 channel set up's. They often want their music pressented differently than their movies!
foreverhifi2000....so you are hoping that Klipsch will produce an uncolored, unrefined sounding speaker. I hate to burst your bubble, but you have been selling them for years and you didn't know it. The Klipschorn and it's Heritage cousins are what you are looking for. Most audiophiles don't know what they are missing, because they have never heard Khorns used with the best components in an ideal listening room. Khorns can be the worst sounding speakers or the best sounding speakers in the world. It all depends on what you use to drive them. Personally I am using Mark Levinson equipment to drive the Khorns in a specially treated room using the ASC Iso Wall System. You will get out of the Khorns exactly what you put into them.
i am not necessarily a klipsch lover, although the reference series is the exclusive speaker in both my ht and 2 channel setups. likewise i have klipsch 4.1 for my computer and sa-2's for my outdoor setup. i have a ton of klipsch speakers, however i have them for 2 reasons. first and foremost they sound awesome to me. maybe not everyone, but me and that is what matters most. i like it loud, clear, and nasty. my klipsch getup is powered by acurus for ht and outdoor. jolida does the honors for 2 ch. i am sure it sounds abrasive to others, but they don't listen to my stuff as much as i do. the second reason i have klipsch in every room in my house is because the efficiency is unequaled. you simply don't have to power these speakers with uranium. the horns are awesome and the bass is fast. i know it's not hi fi, but i'm gonna stick in low to mid fi for my speakers.
I recall a Klipsch ad from 1987. It was for the Heresy II. In short, the ad showed a picture of the Heresy II with the grill off, so you could get a good view of the midrange and tweeter horns. It went on to talk about how most other speaker manufacturers didn't use horns and if you took a look at them, most of their drivers looked pretty much the same and as a result, most gave the same kind of sound. It then stated how Klipsch didn't use "coventional" drivers like the "other guys." Rather, they used compression drivers mated to horns and they're about the only people who did. Consequently, they afforded the buyer a distinct DIFFERENCE...a difference he could literally HEAR. Klipsch heritage products have always been super-sensitive (97dBs with just one watt @ 1 meter for the Heresy IIs; 104 dBs with just 1 watt @ 1 meter for the Khorns & La Scalas). Most other speakers just can't even come CLOSE to that kind of efficiency! The thing to remember about Klipsch is that they sound DIFFERENT compared to other speakers due to design - they're *supposed* to sound DIFFERENT for God's sake! Now, whether or not somebody likes the Klipsch "sound" is a personal issue. Down through the years, many, many people have liked the sound put out by their "heritage" products, as they've now become known. I own a pair of Heresy IIs and a pair of La Scalas and people are always blown away by how clean, loud, and "in-your-face" they sound. And when I show them I'm running them with an old 70s-era Harman Kardon 430 solid-state reciever with just 25 wpc they simply shake their heads and generally mutter something to the effect that they just can't believe it. I've heard the newer Klipsch offerings (the RF-7s in particular) and at 102 dBs with 1 watt, they are very efficient indeed. However, they don't have the traditional (read: heritage) Klipsch sound that made me buy my Heresy IIs and La Scalas years ago so therefore I don't really care for them regardless of their sensitivity. My fear is that Klipsch is bowing to those who want a more colorless and thus less Klipsch-like loudspeaker. I guess it's all subjective again, but Klipsch have always sounded different then other speakers and I hope Klipsch doesn't "sell-out" and in effect emasculate, or tame the distinct Klipsch sound that made the company so famous in order to make more bucks. The day Klipsch stops making their Heritage line is the day, to me, when I'll consider the company dead. This unfortunately might be closer then even I want to admit when I ask myself this simple question: Why can't I find any of the Heritage line on display for audition in audio stores any more?
Klipsch,to me is for loud rock and roll. I had the Chorus 2's for about ten years and for a long time loved them. I did not go in a stereo shop for a long time. Made the mistake of going to a Tweeter and listening to the Vienna Acoutics line. The Vienna's do not play as loud as the Klipsch do,but I am also 15 yrs older.

Tim
I have owned a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's for over 10 years,and I am aware of better speakers out there (Vandersteen and ESL, perhaps BW) but if positioned properly with a subwoofer supliment, these speakers image and sound as well as speakers costing many times their modest price (I paid $1,600 PR in 1990)

These speakers image like crazy throwing out a wide soundstage reasonably precise. They need to be heavily towed in to the listening area. I am lucky perhaps,they sit 13-14 feet apart.

it is important to match up components that do not indulge their harsher brighter sound prevalence, but I have found this to be a problem only on a few recordings, suprsingly, they can have a very warm and natural tone most of the time.

Never have my Klipsch's sounded strained or pushed too hard, I have not found a volume that the listener wouldn't give in first. Yet, they are capable of sounding good at lower volumes, but I have met very few speakers which don't sound better driven well and at least normal listening volumes.

I use an 18" Velodyne sub to help the lower end, and my goodness does it come thru,I feel no shame in using a subwoofer along with my main 2 speakers, though no reviewer would agree.

One last thing, sound i sso subjective, but I upgraded my cables to the PS Audio Statements, and I was astounded at how much difference they made, these same KLipsch's which failed to cover that low end were humming with bass I never thought them possible of. And the new cables have additionally "warmed" up the sound.

Sure, always fun to figure how any stsyem can be upgraded to sound better in so many various ways, but more times than not, I close my eyes and relax on my sofa to all kinds of music and think to myself, what more would I want to hear?
I had a pair of Cornwalls in the 70's, then Chorus I's later matched with a Carver M4.0t Silver Seven transfer function amp & it was truly great to my ears. Moved on but still love em.....
IM A KLIPSCH NUT FOR SURE,UP UNTIL A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO IF YOU SAID ANYTHING BAD ABOUT KLIPSCH HERITAGE SPEAKERS I WOULD FLIP OUT,I OWN K-HORNS,CORNWALLS,HERESYS,KG4S & QUINTETS,I AM FINDING OUT THAT THE BETTER THE GEAR YOUR RUNNING THE WORSE THE KLIPSCH LINE IS,I STARTED OUT WITH HARMAN KARDON CITATION TUBES & THEY DID GREAT,I TRIED CARVER
& WHAT A MESS THAT WAS,CARVER IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE WORST FRAUD IN AUDIO,THEN I MOVED INTO MCINTOSH,AS I TRADED GEAR & MOVED UP IN QUALITY WITHIN THE MCINTOSH LINE I STARTED TO NOTICE ALL THE WEAKNESSES THAT ALL MY KLIPSCH GEAR HAVE,ITS AT THE POINT NOW THAT MY HERESYS HAVE BEEN STORED & THE CORNWALLS ARE SOUNDING MUDDY,THE K-HORNS ARE STILL HOLDING THEIR OWN & WILL ALWAYS BE A PART OF MY SYSTEM BUT IM SURE AT THIS POINT THAT ALL OTHER KLIPSCH MUST GO,I GUESS WHAT IM SAYING IS IF YOU ARE INTO A BUDGET SYSTEM THEN KLIPSCH IS THE WAY TO GO BUT IF YOU INTEND TO MOVE UP INTO HIFI THEN TRYING TO MATCH TODAYS TECH WITH YESTERYEARS SPEAKERS YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR,IM TOYING WITH THE IDEA OF OVERHAULING MY CORNWALLS WITH CURRENT JBL DRIVERS THAT ARE FASTER & MORE RESPONSIVE TO MY HIGH POWER MAC AMPS BUT IF THAT DONT WORK THEN ITS TIME TO MOVE ON TO MAGGIES AS I THINK THAT THE COMBINATION OF THE KLIPSCH STRONG BOTTOM END & THE MAGGIES GLORIOUS MIDS & HIGH WOULD BE UNBEATABLE.
Maybe this thread is dead, but I wanted to update my system.

I still own my Chorus II's, but I recently switched to PS Audio Statement cables, Cardas XLR Balanced cables, and upgraded my AMP to the THETA Dreadnaught II 5X225.

I am biased, aren't we all? But DAMN! that AMP has made a mind blowing difference (My system and Theta review is posted).

It does well with Regina Carter, or Art Porter and Ronnie Earl, or at home with James Taylor Jackson Browne and Susan Vega. Or accoustic guitar greats like Don Ross, Leo Kotke, et al. It can play Creed, or Delerium....it doesn't matter they all sound amazing.

ALL the inner detail is there, voclas and background vocals POP....Klipsch are killer with cymbals,bass drum and sound effects.....the THETA, in my experience has helped me fall in love with my Klipsch again and my entire vast CD collection.....you hear what you are supposed to hear...there is NO LACK of BASS whatsoever...it pounds out...and this match can be sweet when necessary.

As I suggested, the what I paid for these speakers...nothing I have ever heard can match their ability to image and "dissapear" in a room. My speakers are nearly 14ft apart. Now maybe if the Theta can do this for my modestly priced Klipsch's, imagine what they good do for some highly regarded speakers such as Legacy 20/20's or equiv.....but right now...where I sit...moving out my Klipsch's is not an option.

D
I started out with a pair of late 70's Heresys and moved up to same vintage cornwalls. Best rock and roll system i ever had was based on them cornwalls. being a youngun back then i had them shoved in the corners like their big brothers the k horns and there was no problem with bass (didn't worry much about bass control then just thump). Live sounded live. My current rig is much more audiophile acceptable and while i wouldn't trade my Dunlavys for the cornwalls at this stage in life the Dunlavys just can't get the dynamics the Klipsh produced. If i'd had tubes back then instead of the crown gear i was feeding them with i may still have the cornwalls.
I heard the same set of Choruses sound INCREDIBLE in one setup and lousy in another. I auditioned another pair in my home (worse!) It's the interaction with the room, amp, etc. that matters big-time! Tube amps especially sweet with the larger Klipsch. I had Fortes for years on tubes and it was fun.
I do know one thing I have a pair of LaScala`s in my garage system and I know my neighbor`s HATE them. David
We had a pair of LaScalas at my fraternity house. They were 10 years old, often sat in 1 inch of basement beer-mud, survived rainstorms (for outside parties), danced on, played countless hours at deafening levels and they were still hands down the best sounding speakers on campus.

I loved those things.
Love 'em, that is, the classic or heritage series. I got my start as an audiophile when I went over to a friend's house for the first time back in 1982, and heard his K-horns. I was flabbergasted; never new stereo could sound like that. Got hooked big time. Owned the Forte for while thereafter.
I have a set of KLF-20 Legend Series Klipsch speakers that I use for 2 channel right now and eventually will be used for my HT too. These Klipsch speakers absolutely rock! They are incredibly dynamic and make you feel like you are right there getting a private performance.

They are really heavy and I know that when it's time to move, they'll probably convey with the house. It will definitely be a very sad day in my life.
I am surprised more speaker companies don't use folded horns. But for $1,600 the pair of Chorus II's, yes they are heavy.....best value then and now.

We don't have opp to bring in other large speakers to our home to try them out, I am sure there are btter sounding speakers....5X the price....and we would be mincing words.

Especially love the way synth music and accoutic and electric guitar sounds so lifelike, and percussion as well. I think some of this is due to my Theta Dread II
Love them. Started with a pair of the WIFE'S 1986 Forte's as the front L&R for a home theater setup, and never looked back. Now own four Forte's, and Academy center, KG2 rears (all for HT), and an extra set of Cornwalls and Heresy II's. Wonderful stuff, pleasant (and even moreso if one reworks the stock crossovers with new components as I have), and big as life.

Chris
I still have 2 pair of cornwalls, 1 pair of chorus I, and a pair of chorus II, I spent 6k on a new pair of speakers, and am still not sure if I like em better. Go figure.
I don't think they have kept up with some of the new technology, and don't sound as good as many of the newer speakers out there.

They all sound boxy to me!
Our 1977 La Scala's are the ONLY piece of our system that has not changed over the past year. I must have listened to thirty or more speakers during that period. Some might be more capable, but every one that I've heard masks something on the recording that the Klipsch simply let through. And I don't want the music to be massaged, made more palatable, or more pleasant. Paired with a SET amp, I just have yet to find a speaker with more immediacy to it. Still looking and listening...
Sorry, I didn't realized that my wife was still signed in,
so the Evita comments above were actually mine (boa2).
Careful about that! You know what happens around here when the boyz think there might be a female audiophile in our midst.
I have to admit that a swell of admiration overcame me yesterday as we were auditioning a modded CD player, and my wife started talking about how much better the system might sound with NOS 2A3's.

She's mine! Keep away, boyz!!!
I hate them too. I think the horn sounds nasally, and the bass boomy. You might as well buy a tube-driven guitar stack. I can see how some people like them for classic rock though. I don't want a speaker that adds to the sound, but rather is transparent.

just my opinion...
Love the "Heritage" series which includes the Klipschorns, LaScalas, Belles, etc.
I guess I fit into the love them category. I have a pair of Khorns, 3 KG5.5 and 2 RF3 as my home theater setup. I use the Khorns as my two channel speakers also for analog since I continue to play a lot of vinyl. I recently upgraded my analog by getting a HE table and Van Den Hul moving coil cartridge and my khorns really opened up. The clarity and sound stage was spectacular. I am debating going to a tube setup for the khorns. I have heard many say that tubes go well the the khorns. I have recently heard the new B&W 800 series speakers and was very impressed with clarity and sound stage. But since i already own the Khorns, I don't see spending that much for similar performance
The very first speakers I made an investment in were a pair of Heresys in 1977, which I still own. I dropped out of audio because my system was good enough. Then I got sucked back into it 3 years ago. I always dreamt of K-horns and La Scalas. I bought a pair of 1978 La Scalas last year after buying a polite system for the WAF with VSA VR2s 3 years ago. The first speakers I looked at were the newer Klipsch which are terrible all around. The kicker is that I still adored my horns as raucous as they were, because I like my music fairly loud. I even bought a vintage Mac to go with them. I was happy. My wife set me up with a listening room in the basement (nice). So yes I loved them. While I was auditioning speakers for the living room I ran across JM labs,but couldn't afford them. I eventually got a great deal on a pair of 937s and finally found the right amps for them. Now I hardly feel like listening to the Klipsch. They are simply too shrill and lack definition, air, tone and are boxy. Do I hate them no, they will always have some appeal after 25 years of listening to them, but I don't love them anymore.
I have the klipsch legend series in my home theater. The klf-20`s are difinately great speakers. They have amazing dynamics and are very clear sounding. The klf-c7 is definately a great center also.
Love 'em (K-horns through Heresies), but like a few others more. Set up right they are very hard to beat.
I have heard the rumor from a very good source (former owner of the Stereo Shop in Boise ID, that said when he work at another shop they put in a set of K-horns properly (big room appropriate dimensions, placement, tube electronic etc) for a customer. Said it sounded great noteworthy even. But I sold them at a stereo store in the 70's and could stand them. harsh, bass-less, and rude; though never set up right in the store and no tube amps. A cowboy friend got the Belle's; horrible, but loud and no bass, he even got a nice Audionics amp and preamp but in a small house in a small room it was Gawd awefull! I got to never like horn period ---- UNTIL two events
1.) hearing a pair of TAD (Pioneer)Berrillium horn systems (looked like a "Voice of the Theatre" black box with horn on top) with BagEnds subs, Tube Tri-amped BAT electronic and it was pure stunning musical magic.
Next (2.) was AvantGarte at the Stereophile show they were just too dam good, and too dam expensive for me but wow sweet smoothe, transparent and very good looking and they did take a city block of your living room
So I am with you cheering for Klipsch give me the pom-pom's we need those Khorns et. al. to sound good!
and also I and getting a pair of industrial La Scala's tomorrow for cheap, in hopes that the ol'e Scott Stereomaster that is in my garage, will be soon be revived and tweaked and then somebody will have huge room an I will have heard stereo nevanna or should it be K-vanna!
but still to this day even thinking about hearing a pioneer receiver with K-horns hurts my ears!
Klipsch, Mac tubes, Rock. Kind of like peanut butter and jelly, a great match. Wish I had the Klipsch set up that Fleetwood Mac used in concert.
I've had many types of monitors, tower speakers like Salk towers but none of them image like the old Klipsch.    All the older Klipsch Speakers have that 3D sound stage to them.  Close your eyes and you feel like you are there.   My Kefs may be more accurate but they don't image the same.   They don't have that WOW what kind of speakers are those effect.

Have a pair of KG4 and Chorus 1s.   They image like crazy and more more air than the new speakers with the multi but tiny drivers.

Horns provide a very forward, immediate sound, with lots of presence. Too much presence, having a severe "cupped-hands around a mouth"/"pinched nose" coloration that quickly becomes irksome. The worst speakers, by far, I've ever heard for vocals. The ones I've heard, anyway. But very dynamic, if that's your priority and you can live with the extreme level of coloration they possess. They do mimic the sound of the PA systems at rock concerts, which may be why rockers don't mind them. When I lived in my Band's house at the age of 21, our PA (Altec Voice Of The Theatre A-7's) did double duty as our stereo speakers.
Call them what you want most people when they listen to them have the WOW effect. They sound live. When you go to a real concert you don’t see a bunch of tiny speakers you see speakers with large drivers. If you want a live sound the Klipsch do much better than most.

Do you see people at a concerting saying "gee they sound different than my monitors at home" They don’t sound colored or harsh to me, but some peoples ears are more sensitive than others. There is not wrong or right to it but people saying things like colored and looking down on Klipsch because of this are not being realistic. And are over exaggerating things just a bit.

To me, all my monitor type speakers sound flat and one dimensional in comparison. Yes they might be more accurate on paper but they fail on the WOW department.

I am talking about the OLD Klipsch not the new stuff.