overheating

hi i have an MA 6900 mcintosh amp only problem when driven hard for a long period will cut out on thermal overload any thoughts out there on cooling.
hopey
thanks, det.tech.speakers do it easy .lower volume great idea .but this is a party room and we may not be audiophile purists but we love music,i was thinking maybe some sought of cooling fan or more heat sinks or whatever, any thoughts?
First check to make sure that there are no restrictions to air flow to the amp. If not, then yes you can use fans, but if your Def techs are a current model w 92 db 8 ohm sensitivity and you are pushing a 200 wpc amp so hard it goes into thermal shutdown, you might want to consider going w a pro sound reinforcement system (and buying stock in hearing aid companies)!!!! Really, dude, Unless your "party room" is the size of an auditorium, that amp should be able to push those speakers to 110-120 dB levels which will toast your ears pretty quickly.
Are you using any bass boost(Loudness, EQ, etc) while
listening? That can overdrive an amp easily, and cause
overheating.
Fan behind amp, blowing onto amp. Doesn't need to be a big fan. Should be able to set at Low, little/no noise. Preferably plugged into separate outlet.
Fan behind amp, blowing onto amp. Doesn't need to be a big fan. Should be able to set at Low, little/no noise. Preferably plugged into separate outlet.
some good thoughts there i thank you ,yes it is a big room and yes where all old and deaf !but i still feel as if a cooling solution might help .
rodman may be on to something. Bass boost would increase power demand significantly.
Try using larger footers and place a laptop cooling fan underneath the amp.

Is you amp in a cabinet, if so, take it out.
Try taking the cabinet cover off the amp, so more air can circulate. I have a McIntosh MC402 and MD205, both in a audio cabinet. I have only had my 205 go into thermal shutdown once for a movie. I cut 4 2.5" holes inthe bottom of cabinet(audio not amp) and that let more air convect thru to dissapate the heat and never have had an issue again. As far as the 402 it has never had an issue with heat.
thanks once again,amp is in open i will take all info onboard i can see may be a fan being involved here...